NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rashaad Penny 2019 Outlook

8 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S said:

Sure looks like an RB2 for the playoffs to me...

Does he?

This is the first game that I can recall where both guys were quite productive. Carson still got his usual 20 or so carries while Penny saw an uptick. I’d expect 16-20 for Carson and 7-12 for Penny going forward. Not really RB2 value... Decent flex with how good this offense is and he can also catch quite well. This isn’t a 50/50 split and even for a run heavy team today was an anomaly in run volume and production.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

💚 CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!1?!? 💚

Rashaad might be catching up to Carson because of the fumbles, but he's still got to finish him. I think we know how this will end...  

Posted Images

Nobody can deny both backs didn't look good last night. I'd say Penny looked more spry because of the fresh legs, but IMO unfortunately this only makes the situation murky. Can we safely deploy Penny week one of playoffs?? 

Edited by Brettg57
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Brettg57 said:

Nobody can deny both backs didn't look good last night. I'd say Penny looked more spry because of the fresh legs, but IMO unfortunately this only makes the situation murky. Can we safely deploy Penny week one of playoffs?? 

Not safely considering Rams should have not as huge a problem moving the ball. Also their D is better than some would think...

20 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Healthy Carson = Useless Penny

How can you say that?

Carson was healthy last night and Penny still ate.  I also noticed Penny in there a lot, especially in the red zone.  It looks to me like Penny is starting to take grasp of the receiving role.

Looking to me like we might be seeing something closer to a 50/50 split going forward.  We've seen plenty of times over the years when 2 RB's can be fantasy starters on the same team and we seem to be approaching that here down the stretch.

Penny clearly isn't taking Carson's job....But he's also not going away and has been humming these past couple games.  And one more Carson fumble could be the last straw.... 

Edited by tts42572
8 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

How can you say that?

Carson was healthy last night and Penny still ate.  I also noticed Penny in there a lot, especially in the red zone.  It looks to me like Penny is starting to take grasp of the receiving role.

Looking to me like we might be seeing something closer to a 50/50 split going forward.  We've seen plenty of times over the years when 2 RB's can be fantasy starters on the same team and we seem to be approaching that here down the stretch.

Penny clearly isn't taking Carson's job....But he's also not going away and has been humming these past couple games.  And one more Carson fumble could be the last straw.... 

My rbs are god awful and I own Penny, so I want this to be a thing more than anything. However, I have heard this story before. Ronald Jones, Jamal Williams, Latavious Murrary, Kareem Hunt, etc.  Yeah you will get a game like last night, but the odds are not likely that they will run the ball 45 times. I want a guy getting the majority of touches or at least HEAVY pass game work in ppr. Penny is WAY too risky at this point to trust with a season on the line. 

48 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

My rbs are god awful and I own Penny, so I want this to be a thing more than anything. However, I have heard this story before. Ronald Jones, Jamal Williams, Latavious Murrary, Kareem Hunt, etc.  Yeah you will get a game like last night, but the odds are not likely that they will run the ball 45 times. I want a guy getting the majority of touches or at least HEAVY pass game work in ppr. Penny is WAY too risky at this point to trust with a season on the line. 

The only apples to apples comparison you give is the Chubb/Hunt comparison.  RoJo is on a team with a head coach who loves passing.  Williams is on a team that is pass heavy as well.  Murray only was relevant when Kamara was out.  The Seahawks are a run-first team.  I would consider the Browns run-heavy as well, and both RBs for the Browns have been relevant for fantasy these past few weeks.  We have a two week sample of the Seahawks with Penny getting a considerable uptick in usage.  We can sit and argue that last week was due to Carson fumbling and this week was a fluke in volume.  But those are only opinions.  Evidence based, yes, but still opinions.  There will ALWAYS be factors that determine the game script that we simply cannot predict.  But the undeniable fact is that Penny has stepped up these past two weeks, regardless of the reason.  

I own both Carson and Penny and this is a headache, yes, but also as a Seahawks fan this is a great problem to have as it helps both pairs of legs stay fresh.  I would argue, if anything, that we are looking more at a Kamara/Ingram type share in usage, more than a Rojo/Barber or Jones/Williams share.  As a Seahawks fan if you told me we had two startable backs like Kamara and Ingram I would be thrilled, and I'm not so sure the fantasy usage suffers too much as a result.  

• Like 1

In watching the game, it's clear Carson is #1, but Penny was easily 1B. Very close to 50/50, and if Carson and the team are willing to play team ball around the goal line...Penny is flex worthy with upside.

Also, these next few weeks are the playoffs. No need for second stringers on your bench, fill it with handcuff lotto ticket rb's in case a big dawg on a top team goes down...Brown, Armstead, PEnny, MAttison, etc...

You could do much worse at Flex this week. He has demonstrated efficiency with his carries and he's also a very big back at 220 lbs for the type of role he plays. Flex with high td upside, efficient stat line and pass catching upside, very similar to McCoy this week.

Edited by WaiverLooter
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Healthy Carson = Useless Penny

Penny just put up 22+ points (std league) against the Min D. How in any way is that useless?

Starting for the win.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RepoMan said:

Anyone else cool with suddenly having their handcuff to Carson be a viable flex option? 

I'm happily starting both in a 2 flex league. 

[...] Only wish they were playing the Panthers THIS week, that would be a no brainer for me.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Assistant Coach content
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

Anyone else feel like this guy is going to burn them really bad one of these upcoming weeks....I just don’t see sustainability in two running backs.  Be forewarned.  

I agree.  I own both in a couple of leagues and am only comfortable starting Carson, at least this week.  Penny's floor is too low outside of Carson getting benched for fumbling again.  Next week against Carolina could be a different story though...

• Like 1