NBC Sports Edge Forums

Darrell Henderson 2019 Outlook

Just now, vthokie3 said:

yeah I feel like it'll be 60-40 split/hot hand approach with the Brown and Henderson when they're both healthy (in the event of Gurley being out). Good week for Henderson to show some stuff though as Gurley's primary relief since Brown won't be active

Agree.  That's all I'm looking for this week....Is for Henderson to show well and move ahead of Brown.

I just for the life of me can;t get the Ram's love affair with Brown.  I mean, if the Rams waived Brown I'm not even sure many teams would be interested in him.  And at best he'd just be a backup somewhere else.  But say they waived Henderson....Plenty of teams would be pouncing on him.

They drafted this dude in the third round for a reason.  Obviously, he's not threatening Gurley but no reason Brown's touches weekly shouldn't be going to Henderson if you ask me.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every single backfield being compared to Kamara/Ingram just needs to stop.

I tried one time. Can confirm not possible

Strange.  I heard that Darrell was on a flight once and the flight crew got devastatingly ill during flight and the flight started nosediving.  Darrell tore the emergency cockpit door off, landed the

2 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Agree.  That's all I'm looking for this week....Is for Henderson to show well and move ahead of Brown.

I just for the life of me can;t get the Ram's love affair with Brown.  I mean, if the Rams waived Brown I'm not even sure many teams would be interested in him.  And at best he'd just be a backup somewhere else.  But say they waived Henderson....Plenty of teams would be pouncing on him.

They drafted this dude in the third round for a reason.  Obviously, he's not threatening Gurley but no reason Brown's touches weekly shouldn't be going to Henderson if you ask me.

He's still young, probably learning pass pro. Not every rookie RB is going to be 100% ready right out the gate, it's still only week 7. Henderson will get some run (probably more as the season goes on), they'll see how he does and go from there. They drafted him for the long term but they do like Malcolm Brown as they matched an offer for him from the Lions in the summer. My guess is Brown is a solid vet who can pass block and knows the system. Here's a quote from Les Snead on the backs

“Sean came into this year knowing we’d have three quality running backs. I do think there is an element of awareness, but there’s no excel spreadsheet that says it anywhere in the building. Todd’s had a lot of touches since he’s gotten into the league. Probably common sense, sports science says that you know what, probably not getting the same amount of touches over these next 4-5 years, and how do you best manage that?” Snead said. “But again, there’s no spreadsheet. It’s how the flow of the game goes and it’s also, ‘Hey, where’s Malcolm Brown at? How has he run?’ Because there’s different styles of running against certain defenses. … And we’d definitely love to get Darrell Henderson involved because we drafted him with intent and he showed some explosion last week and we’ll continue to see him get experience on the field.”

The whole 'they drafted him in X round, they're definitely going to use him a lot this year' is tossed around frequently in rookies threads. I don't think it really means that much in redraft. Teams own these guys for 4-5 years after they draft them, they aren't hard pressed to use them heavily in year 1 if they aren't ready. They draft the guys based on college tape, brief workouts, and interviews. In many cases they probably care more about overall upside than a guy's ability to contribute early. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they drafted Henderson with the opposite idea in mind, figuring Gurley and Brown(who they wouldn't let leave the building) could get them through year 1 and Henderson offered big upside later. Tomorrow will be interesting though.

• Like 1
  1. So I've got Hendo on the card over Montomgery w/ Ek and Chase. 

New T- Shirts now for sale in the team store: 

"Stick w/ Hendo Get That Endo" 

"HENDO SZN" 

"Two Shots Of Hendo To The Head Yo" 

"FREE HENDO" 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:
  1. So I've got Hendo on the card over Montomgery w/ Ek and Chase. 

New T- Shirts now for sale in the team store: 

"Stick w/ Hendo Get That Endo" 

"HENDO SZN" 

"Two Shots Of Hendo To The Head Yo" 

"FREE HENDO" 

one Hendo percent!

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, tts42572 said:

I just for the life of me can;t get the Ram's love affair with Brown.  I mean, if the Rams waived Brown I'm not even sure many teams would be interested in him.  And at best he'd just be a backup somewhere else. 

According to the coaching staff, he is a stud on STs.  Those guys are very valuable to NFL teams.  That probably seals his spot on the roster and was as much a reason for matching DET’s offer as his being a backup RB familiar with the O.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, owenmills said:

The whole 'they drafted him in X round, they're definitely going to use him a lot this year' is tossed around frequently in rookies threads. I don't think it really means that much in redraft. Teams own these guys for 4-5 years after they draft them, they aren't hard pressed to use them heavily in year 1 if they aren't ready. They draft the guys based on college tape, brief workouts, and interviews. In many cases they probably care more about overall upside than a guy's ability to contribute early. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they drafted Henderson with the opposite idea in mind, figuring Gurley and Brown(who they wouldn't let leave the building) could get them through year 1 and Henderson offered big upside later. Tomorrow will be interesting though.

It does though... there was a stat posted on these forums before draft day... it said that rookies who were drafted by a team who traded up for that pick, on average score about 30% (don’t quote me) more fantasy points than rookies who were not “traded up” for. (ie. David Montgomery, Darrel Henderson)

Hopefully someone one who sees this knows where that stat is from lol. 

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/17/rams-todd-gurley-usage-workload-touches-les-snead/

“But again, there’s no spreadsheet. It’s how the flow of the game goes and it’s also, ‘Hey, where’s Malcolm Brown at? How has he run?’ Because there’s different styles of running against certain defenses. … And we’d definitely love to get Darrell Henderson involved because we drafted him with intent and he showed some explosion last week and we’ll continue to see him get experience on the field.”

Just now, affliction said:

I’m desperate so I’m plugging him in. There will be plenty of scoring opportunities and the Rams will not over work Gurley. In the event the Falcons get blown out he would get extra touches as well. 

I'm rolling him out too. That's what happens when your entire bench is either on bye or injured. f--- it lets go Hendo.

Just now, bhawks489 said:

I wouldnt call that a good performance. Luckily, henderson did nothing too.

The catch was pretty nice man.  Atlanta for sure sold out to stop him (which was kind of insane, all things considered) but he got the ball a ton before it got out of hand.

I would say it's definitely going to be a step back for Hendo enthusiasts.  The line is a disaster and Gurley was healthy enough to get a lion's share of the work.

• Like 1
On 10/19/2019 at 8:43 AM, pastorofmuppets2 said:

yeah, but - no Brown this week.   so, there's that. 

Gurley will most likely be active - doesn't mean he takes all the snaps, or is effective, or lasts the entire game, etcetcetcetc ...

this is Hendu's week to shine.  cut and dried.  the kid gets the training wheels popped off down on that fast track - only concern is that McVay uses this to get his aerial attack fixed (Trufant, who has not exactly been great shakes, but is their best db, will be out).

man, i can see Kupp going something stupid like 14/200/3 - yeah, the Falcons are that bad 🤷‍♂️

would expect Gurley to get all gl love, if the Rams even have any, what wif Goff riddlin' those fools.  

i see only two paths tomorrow for our golden ticket here:

1)worst case scenario for Hendu -  Gurley is effective, garners lion's share of snaps to better facilitate McVay's aerial orgy (TG is perhaps the greatest ever pass blocking elite RB).

trips down to the stripe feature the bones tossed to Gurley, then game gets outta hand and they trot out ham n' egger Kelly to mop the fudge up - all of that would render the rook as useless as Crisco on a kitten. 

2)flipside -

Gurley is ineffective, aggravates the ouchie - allowing Hendu to hang a 30 spot on these pathetic dirty boids.  

i honestly see no middle ground/gray area here ... it's either "WEEK WINNER!!!1!"  or "Vent and Rant" thread.

🇨🇦

pretty much what i thought ... we got path #1 for the most part (though the rook had a decent snap count).

the impending return of Malcolm, bye in week 9 ...

- Hendu, we hardly knew ye 🙋‍♂️