NBC Sports Edge Forums

Felix Pena 2019 Outlook

Felix pitched 7 innings of 3 hit/0 runs(7K/0BB) after coming in for an opener yesterday, albeit against the Tigers. On the season he's.

• 33.2IP
  • 34K/7BB
  • 3.21ERA/.92WHIP
  • 3.51SIERRA/4.32FIP/3.77xFIP
  • .214BABIP/78.1LOB%/41.6GB%
  • 18.8HR/FB%

I doubt he keeps up the ERA since the HR/FB isn't going to drop much being he has a 36FB% and has always had a high HR/FB. The BABIP obviously is going to come up as well. Taking a look at his baseballsavant page doesn't cause much excitement unfortunately as he's in the bottom 14% of the league in exit velo, xBA, xSLG, and xWOBA. 

He does have a 30.6%CSW(called+swinging strikes) on the year which is pretty good. So I'm not sure exactly what he's doing to get the numbers he currently has, but there must be at least a little something to it. He's faced some pretty good lineups this year before Detroit and Toronto, and had a 3.63ERA/1.07WHIP prior to the two cupcakes, although Toronto scored 3ER in his 4.1IP against them. 

A guy to keep an eye on in leagues where the hot waiver adds have been gone for weeks. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Against the Tigers. Doesn't count.

Very deep leagues only.

I'm not seeing that, as a starter his value is somewhat limited but as the primary pitcher after an opener I like his chances. He's good for about 4 to 5 innings before losing steam, if he comes in after the opener will lead to more wins.

58 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

I'm not seeing that, as a starter his value is somewhat limited but as the primary pitcher after an opener I like his chances. He's good for about 4 to 5 innings before losing steam, if he comes in after the opener will lead to more wins. 

Apparently he ate a PB&J sandwich between innings last night and it helped get him through 7 innings.  Said he never tried eating partway through a game before that, a nutritionist recently recommended it to him.  Could be onto something, ha. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

What are the rules for a W if a guy doesn't start? I believe it's up to scorer discretion, which means Pena will have to pitch well to qualify for a W. He wouldn't be able to win those 5 IP 4 ER outings with run support.

This guy can be very sneaky fantasy value in the right matchups. Similar to Jalen Beeks' situation, you just have to monitor for the days they'll be following the opener... Good chance to vulture a win, and nice counting stats. For deep leagues, these are sometimes the best options on the wire for streams.

6 hours ago, papasmurf said:

What are the rules for a W if a guy doesn't start? I believe it's up to scorer discretion, which means Pena will have to pitch well to qualify for a W. He wouldn't be able to win those 5 IP 4 ER outings with run support.

Doesn't it usually go to the first reliever in (assuming he pitches effectively and doesn't cough up a ton of runs) if the starter exits before 5 innings?

21 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Doesn't it usually go to the first reliever in (assuming he pitches effectively and doesn't cough up a ton of runs) if the starter exits before 5 innings?

Scorers discretion, but usually the first guy in. Assuming he pitches at least reasonably well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, that is what I thought.

Is Pena staying in this role or will they start him some games in the future? If he stays in this role he can be a huge asset in GS limit leagues since he basically gives you a starter's volume (he probably is averaging 5 IP in this role).

4 hours ago, Ace_King said:

CBS is listing him as starting on Tuesday?

all depends on Ausmus and the team's plan; they have listed him as the starter previously, but then switched to the opener with him as the follower last minute

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, WTP333 said:

all depends on Ausmus and the team's plan; they have listed him as the starter previously, but then switched to the opener with him as the follower last minute

When would final word come?

14 minutes ago, dilly3307 said:

Is Pena starting games next week or are they sticking with an opener again and using him as a “primary”? He should be lined up to go twice next week regardless.

Should be status quo until Heaney comes back.

16 minutes ago, nlm said:

Anybody dare run him out there against MIN tonight?

I am, but I am using him in a (12 team) points league where an earned run counts the same as a strikeout and an inning pitched is worth four times a strikeout. I wouldn't in a roto context, though.

• 2 weeks later...