Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nicky Lopez 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Lopez will have his contract selected from Triple-A Omaha prior to Tuesday's game against the Rangers.

ANALYSIS

According to Rustin Dodd of The Athletic, Lopez will immediately step in as the Royals' primary second baseman, pushing Whit Merrifield to the outfield as a result and potentially moving Hunter Dozier and Kelvin Guttierez into a platoon at third base. The promotion is warranted, as the well-regarded prospect is slashing .353/.457/.500 with a trio of homers and nine stolen bases through 31 games with Triple-A Omaha this season. Jake Newberry was optioned to Triple-A in a corresponding move, while a 40-man move will be announced prior to Tuesday's series opener.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I expect nothing and am prepared to be disappointed.  We should all temper our projections.   Please let him be great.  I finally nabbed a call-up, for once, I need this guy to deliver.  Top 5 RO

Not really.  In fantasy you put a TEAM together to cover all stats.  No one in a competitive league owns a full roster of 5 tool guys.  Nicky will bring Steals and average and OBP and OPS stats.  Also

Batting 2nd and playing 2nd base.  Here weego!

2 minutes ago, nlm said:

Lopez will have his contract selected from Triple-A Omaha prior to Tuesday's game against the Rangers.

ANALYSIS

According to Rustin Dodd of The Athletic, Lopez will immediately step in as the Royals' primary second baseman, pushing Whit Merrifield to the outfield as a result and potentially moving Hunter Dozier and Kelvin Guttierez into a platoon at third base. The promotion is warranted, as the well-regarded prospect is slashing .353/.457/.500 with a trio of homers and nine stolen bases through 31 games with Triple-A Omaha this season. Jake Newberry was optioned to Triple-A in a corresponding move, while a 40-man move will be announced prior to Tuesday's series opener. 

Lol @ Dozier in a platoon with the also RH hitting Kelvin, but Nicky can hit a bit and also run. It's a deeper dive but looks like the ABs will be there initially.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, for deeper leagues I think he's a nice guy to add. It's hard to wait and see without someone running to the wire first, but with playing time coming early, that should help determine if he's roster-worthy. I added him in a deep 12-team, but if he doesn't light it up I'll have no qualms dropping him. Worth a speculative add esp. if you need speed.

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Lol @ Dozier in a platoon with the also RH hitting Kelvin, but Nicky can hit a bit and also run. It's a deeper dive but looks like the ABs will be there initially.

 

That was my initial instinct, but he is hitting .212 against LHP. SSS of 41 PAs, but the numbers aren't particularly appealing. 

 

Anyway, back to all things Nicky 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He definitely has elite contact skills so its possible with that will come decent pop. I think in a full season you could see a .280-.300 guy with 10-15 home runs and 15-20 steals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like like a Jeff McNeil type guy, who i also roster and has OF eligibility.  I like the guys with Low K's and high BA.  Especially at 2nd base, he could be pretty valuable.  A good trade piece if he pans out, and already have solid 2B / MI players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a high obp type of player.  
I'm not sure how his hit tool rates out, but judging by his 5:20 k/bb ratio, I assume he is a good hitter. If he gets on, I think it's safe to say he'll do his share of running. He's probably worth a grab depending on your league size and such.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nlm said:

Seems like a high obp type of player.  
I'm not sure how his hit tool rates out, but judging by his 5:20 k/bb ratio, I assume he is a good hitter. If he gets on, I think it's safe to say he'll do his share of running. He's probably worth a grab depending on your league size and such.

Pretty much, he knows the strike zone and can hit. This is KC/Yost--they run more than anyone, he will get steal opps...just might be buried in the 8th/9th spot for a bit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

What type of line is everyone expecting here? I could really use some SB help.

I’d project him at a .275 average, 5hrs, and 20 steals the rest of the way. Viable MI production in deeper leagues. I mentioned it in the minor league thread but as a Royals fan he reminds me of David Eckstein, which probably sounds awful but he was fantasy viable  his first couple years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said in his minor league thread, taking a flier on him.  Not sure how much of his insanely good BB:K ratio will translate in the majors, but if you are hurting in batting average like I am so far, I think he's a pretty good flier.  I don't really need his steals, but that'll be an obvious nice bonus.  Like somebody else said, he shouldn't have a problem getting the green light on this team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

 

That was my initial instinct, but he is hitting .212 against LHP. SSS of 41 PAs, but the numbers aren't particularly appealing. 

 

Anyway, back to all things Nicky 

He has a .366 OBP and 54% hard hit rate vs Southpaws and he's a right hander. 

Yeah, don't read too much into that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’d project him at a .275 average, 5hrs, and 20 steals the rest of the way. Viable MI production in deeper leagues. I mentioned it in the minor league thread but as a Royals fan he reminds me of David Eckstein, which probably sounds awful but he was fantasy viable  his first couple years.

 

Thanks for the insight. That type of line would certainly be useful!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Royals are moving Whit Merrifield their best player to OF to give the 2B job to Nicky. Unless he "Kiebooms" his way back to AAA he very well may be a ROS player. This guy becomes an immediate dark horse candidate for ALROY with Eloy and Vladdy JR not doing so hot. Plus the Astros holding back Yordan and Tucker doesn't hurt.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

The Royals are moving Whit Merrifield their best player to OF to give the 2B job to Nicky. Unless he "Kiebooms" his way back to AAA he very well may be a ROS player. This guy becomes an immediate dark horse candidate for ALROY with Eloy and Vladdy JR not doing so hot. Plus the Astros holding back Yordan and Tucker doesn't hurt.

I like when someone comes seemingly out of nowhere not heavily touted so I'm rooting on Nicky and have picked him up for a couple of my teams.  But aren't we getting a wee bit ahead of ourselves for rookie of the year?   Vlad has 4 and a half months to get it done yet.  Also Michael Chavis says hi.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I like when someone comes seemingly out of nowhere not heavily touted so I'm rooting on Nicky and have picked him up for a couple of my teams.  But aren't we getting a wee bit ahead of ourselves for rookie of the year?   Vlad has 4 and a half months to get it done yet.  Also Michael Chavis says hi.

 

Agreed. From 'possibly worth rostering' to 'possible rookie of the year' is a big stretch indeed.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...