NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nicky Lopez 2019 Outlook

15 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

What type of line is everyone expecting here? I could really use some SB help.

From looking through his numbers and looking at his profile, over a full season, he kinda looks like a .300+ guy long-term with 10-15 HR power and 20-25 steals.

But ROS, I'll say .280 with 7 HR and 15 steals.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I expect nothing and am prepared to be disappointed.  We should all temper our projections.   Please let him be great.  I finally nabbed a call-up, for once, I need this guy to deliver.  Top 5 RO

Not really.  In fantasy you put a TEAM together to cover all stats.  No one in a competitive league owns a full roster of 5 tool guys.  Nicky will bring Steals and average and OBP and OPS stats.  Also

Batting 2nd and playing 2nd base.  Here weego!

29 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

They've moved Merrifield around the field plenty since the start of 2018. 

True, but the reasoning for Whit playing mostly 2B is because his lower body was aching too much in the outfield.  They're willing to roll the dice, and got Whit's approval to put Lopez at 2B full time.  I have a feeling the Royals will explore a trade with Whit to get back a young Starting Pitcher.  At 30 years old, Whit doesn't fit the time line for the rest of the team who figure to compete in 2021-2023.

2 hours ago, 20Duval904 said:

From looking through his numbers and looking at his profile, over a full season, he kinda looks like a .300+ guy long-term with 10-15 HR power and 20-25 steals.

But ROS, I'll say .280 with 7 HR and 15 steals.

Updated steamer projections have him very similar- .273 5 HR and 11 SBs in 387 ABs along with 41 R 37 RBIs.

Useful baseline in deep leagues, but less so in shallower leagues.  Key is if he continues to develop power like he has the last year.  If he does with his contact ability and decent speed could have a high fantasy ceiling.  

18 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Like I said in his minor league thread, taking a flier on him.  Not sure how much of his insanely good BB:K ratio will translate in the majors, but if you are hurting in batting average like I am so far, I think he's a pretty good flier.  I don't really need his steals, but that'll be an obvious nice bonus.  Like somebody else said, he shouldn't have a problem getting the green light on this team.

You sir are in the 1% of fantasy owners then lol. Everyone needs steals nowadays, as hardly anyone runs anymore. Any speed players make me interested as they can make a big difference in a category.

10 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

You sir are in the 1% of fantasy owners then lol. Everyone needs steals nowadays, as hardly anyone runs anymore. Any speed players make me interested as they can make a big difference in a category.

I guess I should have said it's not a glaring need since I'm sitting in 2nd in my league in that category, but you're still right that basically everyone can still use some regardless.  I'm mostly interested in his potential to be a great contributor in Batting Average, but the steals will be nice too.

I don't think it's that farfetched to call him potentially another Jeff McNeil, but with speed.

Edited by KilloWertz
17 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Batting 2nd and playing 2nd base.  Here weego!

Batting 2nd already is a tad bit unexpected given their 1-5 had been working pretty well as is, but obviously I'll take him bring thrown right in there already.  It's a perfect spot for him.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Batting 2nd already is a tad bit unexpected given their 1-5 had been working pretty well as is, but obviously I'll take him bring thrown right in there already.  It's a perfect spot for him.

He's actually the epitome of Ned Yost's dream #2 hitter - a guy who doesn't strike out much, takes a lot of pitches so runners on base can steal, can hit and run, can bunt, and has a high OBP. Don't be suprised to see the ol' Ned Yost special - a sacrifice bunt in the first inning!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, meh2 said:

He's actually the epitome of Ned Yost's dream #2 hitter - a guy who doesn't strike out much, takes a lot of pitches so runners on base can steal, can hit and run, can bunt, and has a high OBP. Don't be suprised to see the ol' Ned Yost special - a sacrifice bunt in the first inning!

Except Ned likes to have many .280-.299 OBPs at the top...Al Escobar was his dream!

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

I'll take it... as long as he outruns the throw and turns it into a bunt single. 😉

Seriously though, while it would have normally sounded crazy to say this the last several seasons, it could be really good if he can stick there.  It's a prime spot for very nice counting stats since their lineup is surprisingly pretty solid.

I expect nothing and am prepared to be disappointed.  We should all temper our projections.  

Please let him be great.  I finally nabbed a call-up, for once, I need this guy to deliver.  Top 5 ROS for sure.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
48 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I expect nothing and am prepared to be disappointed.  We should all temper our projections.  

Please let him be great.  I finally nabbed a call-up, for once, I need this guy to deliver.  Top 5 ROS for sure.  

you are def. becoming a favorite poster of mine. I expect nothing to really be excited about. 

• Haha 1

All my other prospect callups this year have sucked, I believe in lil nicky to finally turn things around! a 280+ avg with a lil pop and some steals from SS would be sweet.

The kid has totally impressed me. His approach is so pro! Batting 2nd between wheels is opening opportunity and holes all over the field. I’m totally flabbergasted and can’t wait to see what his stats look like next month. Did I mention this kid is a pro! 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Krambone said:

The kid has totally impressed me. His approach is so pro! Batting 2nd between wheels is opening opportunity and holes all over the field. I’m totally flabbergasted and can’t wait to see what his stats look like next month. Did I mention this kid is a pro! 

I know, everyone is all in declaring Riley, Rodgers & Hiura the next superstars, and yet they're all buried in their lineup at 6/7 spots.

Lopez easily could perform the best of the recent call-ups for the foreseeable future, batting in between Merrifield & Mondesi, with Gordon & Dozier at 4/5. I bet eventually Mondesi moves to 9th, his BB% & K% aren't good for the 3 hole, but would be fantastic for Lopez, who could end up having a ton of RBIs following Mondesi-Merrifield.

Edited by worldclass
  • Like 1

Yeah, he's looking impressive.  A lot of high profile call ups last several days, but he's an intriguing under the radar target. Seems totally in control at the plate. Two opposite field doubles were nice, but working a walk in the sixth laying off some high and a little outside bait pitches showed his good eye. Hitting in the 2 spot between Whit and Mondesi iis going to give him a lot of run potential and will get some SBs.  Not sure he will hit for power early in his career.  But seems to have an every day role hitting in a deceptively good lineup.  

25 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

Yeah, he's looking impressive.  A lot of high profile call ups last several days, but he's an intriguing under the radar target. Seems totally in control at the plate. Two opposite field doubles were nice, but working a walk in the sixth laying off some high and a little outside bait pitches showed his good eye. Hitting in the 2 spot between Whit and Mondesi iis going to give him a lot of run potential and will get some SBs.  Not sure he will hit for power early in his career.  But seems to have an every day role hitting in a deceptively good lineup.  

Very deceptive, they have 4 hitters who are top 30 in WAR, no other team has that. Lopez walk rate & speed suggest he too could be an elite WAR player. But, the dropoff to the other 4 hitters is monumental. 

Edited by worldclass

Impressed too as someone I grabbed before his call up to put in my minors slot. Not seen him on top 100 lists before so wasn't hugely expectant, but an impressive start so I wonder why not? Can control the zone, good hit tool with speed.

The Royals lineup has been good which actually might be a negative in a way by decreasing his SB total which is what we want the most. That said they have gone cold lately so need guys to start running to generate O!

Definitely been impressive so far.  A slight bit disappointing he didn't try to run even once today since he was on base 4 times, but I get why he wouldn't have in the second half of the game when the floodgates opened.  Still, that's about the only thing I could complain about so far.

Regardless, he's been really solid and the stupidity of a blurb writer for Rotoworld strikes again.  He's already been fantasy relevant since being called up since he's hit great and has had counting stats in all but today's game so far.  Granted it's only 3 games so far, but he has 2 runs and an RBI.  He should be a counting stats monster honestly, as long as Whit and Mondesi stay healthy.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Definitely been impressive so far.  A slight bit disappointing he didn't try to run even once today since he was on base 4 times, but I get why he wouldn't have in the second half of the game when the floodgates opened.  Still, that's about the only thing I could complain about so far.

Regardless, he's been really solid and the stupidity of a blurb writer for Rotoworld strikes again.  He's already been fantasy relevant since being called up since he's hit great and has had counting stats in all but today's game so far.  Granted it's only 3 games so far, but he has 2 runs and an RBI.  He should be a counting stats monster honestly, as long as Whit and Mondesi stay healthy.

In fantasy without steals or homers Ur nothing. Runs average and rbi aren't enough. He stole 4 bags this spring and 9 in 100 ab in the minors tho.