NBC Sports Edge Forums

Andy Isabella 2019 Outlook

It seems like Andy Isabella will be a polarizing player in rookie drafts and going into this season in both redraft and dynasty leagues. 

What he lacks in size (5' 9", 188 lbs) he makes up for in speed and quickness (4.31 40 yd dash, 6.95 3 cone drill, 4.15 20 yard shuttle). The Cardinals used a 2nd round pick (the one they got from the Dolphins for Josh Rosen) to take Isabella, which was a little earlier than many expected he would be drafted. The Cardinals (and especially coach Kliff Kingsbury) were estatic to land him.

If the Kingsbury Air Raid offense takes flight in year 1 I think Isabella can have a really solid rookie season. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hakeem butler is also in the mix at WR, and with seals-jones and charles clay as TEs (both ok, neither outstanding), 6'5" butler may eat into everyone's targets as well when his usage is in the cards

You are truly both a dream and a dwightmare.

I remember what a hard time Kyler had finding Hollywood Brown 😅

12 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

It seems like Andy Isabella will be a polarizing player in rookie drafts and going into this season in both redraft and dynasty leagues. 

What he lacks in size (5' 9", 188 lbs) he makes up for in speed and quickness (4.31 40 yd dash, 6.95 3 cone drill, 4.15 20 yard shuttle). The Cardinals used a 2nd round pick (the one they got from the Dolphins for Josh Rosen) to take Isabella, which was a little earlier than many expected he would be drafted. The Cardinals (and especially coach Kliff Kingsbury) were estatic to land him.

If the Kingsbury Air Raid offense takes flight in year 1 I think Isabella can have a really solid rookie season. 

Waiver wire pickup  with potential to be explosive. All cards wr's are trading with a big discount given the target availability so I would rather spend the draft capital on kirk or fitzgerald than the undersized rookie wr catching passes from an undersized rookie QB. . .

24 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Waiver wire pickup  with potential to be explosive. All cards wr's are trading with a big discount given the target availability so I would rather spend the draft capital on kirk or fitzgerald than the undersized rookie wr catching passes from an undersized rookie QB. . .

Definitely more intriguing as a dynasty prospect, being tied to Kyler Murray and Kliff Kingsbury's offense, plus Fitzgerald eventually retiring. 

The "Cardinals Flight Plan" video (click here, skip to 14:08) showing the Cardinals war room when they pulled the trigger on the Rosen trade and took Isabella with the 2nd rounder shows you just how excited Kingsbury was to bring this guy in. Kingsbury calls him "a little beast," then says "I love Isabella... he makes us better right away," in trying to convince Keim to pull the trigger on the trade. Kingsbury then fist bumps with Keim while he's on the phone with Isabella telling him he's going to be a Cardinal, and then tells Isabella "we can't wait to get you here man. This is a big deal dude. It all worked out. You are an absolute stud and you're going to make us a much better team." He then claps loudly and let's out a "WOO!" Really cool footage to see. 

Kingsbury loves this kid and clearly believes he will be special. I'm buying all day in dynasty. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Andy Isabella 2019 Outlook
4 hours ago, dashoe said:

the undersized rookie wr catching passes from an undersized rookie QB. . .

^

I was really into Isabella pre-draft [he and Butler were 2 of my 4 favorite WR rooks (NKHarry/AJBrown)], and while I am still high on him talent wise, I am a bit apprehensive regarding landing spot: could Isabella suffer due to a shorter QB struggling to find the shorter WR (definitely something to think about.) *maybe it's something the Cardinal brass can scheme to alleviate :shrug:

Leaning more towards Butler than Isabella in this particular offense.

*dynasty*

4 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

^

I was really into Isabella pre-draft [he and Butler were 2 of my 4 favorite WR rooks (NKHarry/AJBrown)], and while I am still high on him talent wise, I am a bit apprehensive regarding landing spot: could Isabella suffer due to a shorter QB struggling to find the shorter WR (definitely something to think about.) *maybe it's something the Cardinal brass can scheme to alleviate :shrug:

Leaning more towards Butler than Isabella in this particular offense.

*dynasty*

Tyler Lockett and Doug Baldwin are both listed at 5'11" and they were Wilson's top targets the past few seasons... If Isabella can get open I don't know why Murray would have difficulty getting the ball to him. 

11 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Tyler Lockett and Doug Baldwin are both listed at 5'11" and they were Wilson's top targets the past few seasons... If Isabella can get open I don't know why Murray would have difficulty getting the ball to him. 

Both those WRs are 2" taller than Isabella, and Wilson is ~1" taller than the QB (Murray) throwing to the shorter Isabella. Not exactly apples - apples, but I get your point and it is a fair assessment.

...and I didn't define it as a "nail in the coffin" aspect, but simply something that crossed my mind in evaluating the situation :shrug:

I could be completely off, which wouldn't be the first time.

Good receivers can do well regardless of their height. AB is only 5'10" and about 180lbs. OBJ is 5'11". I don't think the height is a concern. The guys ahead of him and a rookie QB should be the biggest concerns for his rookie season.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, devaster said:

Good receivers can do well regardless of their height. AB is only 5'10" and about 180lbs. OBJ is 5'11". I don't think the height is a concern. The guys ahead of him and a rookie QB should be the biggest concerns for his rookie season.

At some point, whether high or low, height is a concern/breaking point, just like weight, speed, agility, etc...I am not saying we are there with Isabella, but since we are discussing a 5'9" WR, and all the comps being given to him are WR1s who are actually taller: who is a successful fantasy WR1 listed at 5'9"?

So, I just reviewed all 32 NFL teams current rosters, and the only WRs listed at 5'9" or below (with any type of name recognition/success) are: Taylor Gabriel, Cole Beasley, Albert Wilson and Jamison Crowder... :yuck:

None of those 4 WRs mentioned above are in the same ball park as the WRs being given for an Isabella comp in this thread, and those WRs I listed in no way support the theory that a 5'9" WR can be a successful fantasy WR1, which is what we are all questioning, correct?

Historically: Wes Welker (is the only one I could think of), and would be the most logical comparison: successful 5'9" WR1 in 7 out of 12 seasons, yet he was not combined with a shorter QB.

Don't get me wrong, I like AI. I am just postulating that his success could be difficult, as Andy Isabella is going to have to buck that short WR trend, as well as his QB bucking the short QB theory (yes, Wilson broke the 5'11" barrier, but the jury is still out on 5'10") :shrug:

4 minutes ago, howlin' 2 said:

I remember what a hard time Kyler had finding Hollywood Brown 😅

Good point, but completely different style offense, and next to zero defense in the Big 12.

…and the NCAA is not the NFL.

Edited by FollowTheLeader
4 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

At some point, whether high or low, height is a concern/breaking point, just like weight, speed, agility, etc...I am not saying we are there with Isabella, but since we are discussing a 5'9" WR, and all the comps being given to him are WR1s who are actually taller: who is a successful fantasy WR1 listed at 5'9"?

So, I just reviewed all 32 NFL teams current rosters, and the only WRs listed at 5'9" or below (with any type of name recognition/success) are: Taylor Gabriel, Cole Beasley, Albert Wilson and Jamison Crowder... :yuck:

None of those 4 WRs mentioned above are in the same ball park as the WRs being given for an Isabella comp in this thread, and those WRs I listed in no way support the theory that a 5'9" WR can be a successful fantasy WR1, which is what we are all questioning, correct?

Historically: Wes Welker (is the only one I could think of), and would be the most logical comparison: successful 5'9" WR1 in 7 out of 12 seasons, yet he was not combined with a shorter QB.

Don't get me wrong, I like AI. I am just postulating that his success could be difficult, as Andy Isabella is going to have to buck that short WR trend, as well as his QB bucking the short QB theory (yes, Wilson broke the 5'11" barrier, but the jury is still out on 5'10") :shrug:

TY is listed at 5'10", prob closer to 5'9"

13 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

TY is listed at 5'10", prob closer to 5'9"

Doesn't count...not listed at 5'9"  We can't start skewing facts to forward our agenda.

10 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Steve Smith, also 5'9". 

Nice, good add. Thanks @dmb3684

Now we are getting somewhere with the comparable statistics. So, now we've got two: Steve Smith and Wes Welker...both of whom did not play with a shorter QB, but yes, they did succeed as a 5'9" WR1. Hmmmmm'

Edited by FollowTheLeader
3 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Doesn't count...not listed at 5'9"  We can't start skewing facts to forward our agenda.

Nice, good add. Thanks @dmb3684

Now we are getting somewhere with the comparable statistics. So, now we've got two: Steve Smith and Wes Welker...both of whom did not play with a shorter QB, but yes, they did succeed as a 5'9" WR1. Hmmmmm'

I'd be ok grouping guys listed at 5'9 and 5'10 together I think. There are some articles TY is listed at 5'9" but most say 5'10". Same with Isabella.

Just now, dmb3684 said:

I'd be ok grouping guys listed at 5'9 and 5'10 together I think. There are some articles TY is listed at 5'9" but most say 5'10". Same with Isabella.

Remember this confusion when discussing/comparing Hilton to Campbell in another thread?

*don't use "articles," go to the official nfl team website: https://www.colts.com/team/players-roster/

TY Hilton
13 WR 5-10 183 29 8 Florida International

...and regarding the situation/question at hand, grouping guys would completely miss the point of intentionally fixating on the low end/one particular characteristic/height.

In conclusion: my main point (outside of my OP voicing my hesitation regarding Isabella) is that if you are going to offer player comparisons, whether in support of, or not, make them factually correct comparisons.

Facts go a long way toward validating one's opinion.

1 hour ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Remember this confusion when discussing/comparing Hilton to Campbell in another thread?

*don't use "articles," go to the official nfl team website: https://www.colts.com/team/players-roster/

TY Hilton
13 WR 5-10 183 29 8 Florida International

...and regarding the situation/question at hand, grouping guys would completely miss the point of intentionally fixating on the low end/one particular characteristic/height.

247 Sports has TY listd at 5'9. He is also 5'9" in Madden 19. I'd think the team would want to inflate his height. Not sure how tall he is, but I still think it is an apt comparison. Isabella will never be as good as TY though.

26 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

247 Sports has TY listd at 5'9. He is also 5'9" in Madden 19. I'd think the team would want to inflate his height. Not sure how tall he is, but I still think it is an apt comparison. Isabella will never be as good as TY though.

I thought the comp was short wr+short QB?  🤣

We can always focus on the handful of outliers but generally speaking kyler is in the statistical minority of QB's size wise. So it will be interesting to  see if he can play anywhere near the statistically elite level of a Brees or Wilson.

Small  fast wr's can create space with their speed by learning how to change their gears to decieve the defensive player but small QB's need more help from their oline,  coaches creating offensive schemes to minimize the lack of height and wr's who run solid routes. I think isabella will be a complete mismatch for defenses

Statistically kyle+Andy may be the smallest QB+WR duo in the modern NFL. . .🤓

35 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Lineups.com has him at 5'9 and playerprofiler.com too. 

I dont think height matters, it's all about arm length. Where do isabellas arm measurements stack up?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Lineups.com has him at 5'9 and playerprofiler.com too. 

I dont think height matters, it's all about arm length. Where do isabellas arm measurements stack up?

Catch radius is the very serious technical term the professionals  prefer to use right up there with 'tracking' 😂

9.98 which is  below average

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/andy-isabella/

Edited by dashoe
  • Haha 1
38 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

Remember some guy named Wes Welker. He was 5'9.

- Welker on teams that did not have Belichick as a coach: zero 100 yard games, 37 yd on average (and that is not counting his first year).
- Welker on teams that had Belichick as a coach: 28 100 yard games and a 80 yd average per game.

Sure, that was also the peak of his age curve, but let's not forget that it takes a special coach to make use of a non-standard player.

Isabella will be going to Kingsbury, who is a first year NFL head coach, and the transition from College to NFL coach is a tough one - just ask Carroll, or Saban, or Jimmy Johnson. Can Isabella be productive in the right system under the right coach, with a couple years experience? Sure.

Am I betting he will do it in his rookie season with a rookie head coach and a rookie QB?

7A6290DE123FFB2C0429FF648B6727F2648A2020

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Haha 1