NBC Sports Edge Forums

17 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Oh man that is one of my FAVE examples. 

You likely know I have used that infinite times.

As examples go this one is false. Strassburg came up in June 2010, pitched 68 innings and in August he had TJ surgery. For 2011 he came back in September (barely a year after the surgery) and threw 24 innings.

The next year (2012) the Nats were extremely careful with him. In somewhere around like 25 starts only in 4 of them did he go past 6 innings (those 4 were 7 innings). They shut him down after his last start on September 7. So the Nats didn't refuse to pitch him in the playoffs, they never made the playoffs as the team fell apart during September. Would Strassburg have made a difference? Maybe... maybe not. But you had a young (about 23 years old) that had pitched 92 total innings the previous 2 years with TJ surgery included in those two years. Shutting him down seems reasonable to me when I see how young pitchers workloads get managed, Paddock comes to mind. 

As for Hiura he should be up and playing. But the extra year of control is important to a small market team and there is no certainity that even with him the Brewers make the playoffs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aguilar: .250/.364/.393, 1 HR in 33 PAShaw: .143/.265/.286, 2 HR in 49 PAPerez: .161/.206/.194, 0 HR in 35 PAHiura: .307/.395/.627, 7 HR in 86 PA for Triple-A San Antonio    

Updated 162 game average- .317/.383/.592 46 HR/25 SB

So the Brewers just got swept by the Padres. In those three games check out these stats: Hernan Perez: 0/10, 3 K, 6 Men left on base. Travis Shaw: 0/7, 5K, 2 Men Left on base Jesus Agui

Posted Images

3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

so you sacrifice one chance at a post season to gain one chance at a post season?

Now this is the perfect quote for this scenario!!! Awesome.

What’s the point of saving him for the future if he can help you NOW!?

You have one chance this year to make the playoffs and win a title. This way of thinking essentially shows the team thinks they’ll have a better team/better chance to win in his final extra year than this year. That’s the logic here. 

Edited by Csiebert5
spelling
5 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

I dont blame anyone but I get way too excited when I see an update in this thread.

#FreeKeston

😄  Yeah, sorry to get your hopes up. It seriously just can not be much longer though, for all of the reasons highlighted in this thread.

37 minutes ago, rf_haymaker said:

😄  Yeah, sorry to get your hopes up. It seriously just can not be much longer though, for all of the reasons highlighted in this thread.

I asked yesterday who would they send down if they bring up Hiura, the answer was Shaw, makes sense but considering he’s making 4.6 mil and Perez is making 2.5 mil this year, not likely to happen baring a trade.

1 hour ago, wahoos1 said:

I asked yesterday who would they send down if they bring up Hiura, the answer was Shaw, makes sense but considering he’s making 4.6 mil and Perez is making 2.5 mil this year, not likely to happen baring a trade.

I’m pretty sure Shaw has no more options left so I doubt he gets sent down

3 minutes ago, knifeparty said:

Can't they just put Shaw at 1B and send Aguilar down?  I feel like Shaw has a better chance of turning it around then Jesus.  Either way neither should be blocking Hiura from starting everyday at 2B.  

Aguilar cannot he sent down. They’d have to DFA him. Shaw is also more valuable because he can play multiple positions. The sticking point here is Thames and Shaw both hit LH, so wouldn’t be a true platoon. But yeah, none of them should be blocking their 4th best hitter from playing.

5 hours ago, worldclass said:

If the Brewers have been planning on trading Hiura all along for a top pitcher, then holding Hiura down past Super Two would only increase his value, no?

This makes a ton of sense actually.  At least to me.  We all just assumed that Keston would turn into an immediate 5 category stud without thinking that he would be traded.  Any new lineup and new ballpark would likely not help aside from playing time and maybe lineup position.  I’d rather see him hitting somewhere in the heart of the brewers order, but I’d be happy just to see him play.  All pure speculation though.

7 hours ago, worldclass said:

If the Brewers have been planning on trading Hiura all along for a top pitcher, then holding Hiura down past Super Two would only increase his value, no?

Yes it would, I don't think anybody knows what the Brewers motives are at the moment obviously. I also don't think trading Keston would be a great idea considering he can be a difference maker from Day 1 on a rookie scale contract.. What pitcher out there is elite and cost controllable for the next few years? Matt Boyd maybe? Playing on the Tigers would not really be good for Keston's value. 

Edited by MathieuVirtuoso
31 minutes ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

Yes it would, I don't think anybody knows what the Brewers motives are at the moment obviously. I also don't think trading Keston would be a great idea considering he can be a difference maker from Day 1 on a rookie scale contract.. What pitcher out there is elite and cost controllable for the next few years? Matt Boyd maybe? Playing on the Tigers would not really be good for Keston's value. 

I think if the Brewers feel a starting pitcher would allow them to compete for World Series this year then "Cost controllable" may not be a requirement (Like CC Sabathia a few years back) Maybe Madison Bumgarner?

That being said I highly doubt the Brewers would trade this kid.

5 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

since when have the Brewers prioritized paying a lot for starting pitching?

In 2008 they gave up a pretty substantial package(At the time) for CC Sabathia, same ownership.

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

since when have the Brewers prioritized paying a lot for starting pitching?

They been rather awful developing it, Woodruff is about the only semi-successful story...They haven't really 'payed a lot' since well before the Stearns era, when Doug Melvin sent Odorizzi, Escobar and I think Cain for Greinke and then again when they shipped the highly touted LaPorta and underrated Brantley for the CC rental that propelled them to the playoffs with one of the best pitching stretch performances I have ever seen. They got Davies and Chase Anderson on the cheap and kinda overspent on Chacin in FA--though he was more than serviceable last year.

2 hours ago, RoadApple said:

I think if the Brewers feel a starting pitcher would allow them to compete for World Series this year then "Cost controllable" may not be a requirement (Like CC Sabathia a few years back) Maybe Madison Bumgarner?

That being said I highly doubt the Brewers would trade this kid.

They need bats just as much right now with Shaw, the 1B  platoon mess, and even Cain failing.  And Bumgarner would be a negative rental because have you seen his pitching line this season?  He makes Milwaukee pitchers look like aces by comparison.  His last outing lasted 3.2 innings for an ERA of over 14.  No way you give up a great, top ranked prospect like Hirua for trash like that.

I'm sure the Brewers wanted to move Shaw or the current 1B platoon comedy team for pitching and hoped they looked good enough to get a pitcher but that isn't happening.  But Plan B is not to suddenly give away this season totally -- and the seasons to come (Hirua) -- for a garbage rental.  Hirua staying on the team gives them their best shot for this year.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Since 2008. 11 years. 👍

To be fair though, the Brewers as a team havent been challenging for a World Series in many of those years. Theyve only made the playoffs twice in that time, including last season. So there havent been many opportunities to make a run.

• Like 1