NBC Sports Edge Forums

Luis Arraez 2019 Outlook

Not sure how there's not a thread on this guy yet...but the kid is raking right now. 

Great hitter, not a ton of power, but great K/BB ratios.

3 games so far...

5-for-8, 3 Runs scored, 2/0 BB/K ratio. all while hitting in the 6th spot or lower.

Could force the Twins hand if he continues producing like this.

Edited by CORTEz
d
  • Like 2

No power (6 HR in 1384 pro ABs)...bad base-stealer (28 SB, 22 CS). Doesn't K much, walks enough, good BA guy...just doesn't seem to be much else there from a fantasy perspective. Seems like he could be a solid MLB 2-hole hitter down the road, but I don't know how fantasy relevant he'll be outside of deeper leagues. But at only 22, maybe he develops enough power to become relevant. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

No power (6 HR in 1384 pro ABs)...bad base-stealer (28 SB, 22 CS). Doesn't K much, walks enough, good BA guy...just doesn't seem to be much else there from a fantasy perspective. Seems like he could be a solid MLB 2-hole hitter down the road, but I don't know how fantasy relevant he'll be outside of deeper leagues. But at only 22, maybe he develops enough power to become relevant. 

He does hit the ball hard. He is also faster than I thought given the stolen base numbers, but I wouldn't ever expect much more than a handful of steals. Even in a 20 team league, it's hard to see him having a ton of value in 5x5 and 6x6 formats where he offers almost nothing in HR and SB. My league is 6x6 with OPS and even if he hits .300 it will likely come with an OPS around .750 because he is a singles hitter that likely won't have more than 20 doubles.

Could obviously do much worse if your team is hurting in batting average, which it seems like an issue this season as a whole. Obviously he's going to stop having multi-hit games and see his average drop at some point, but he seems like a much smaller version of Astudillo.  Just with even less pop since Arraez hits mainly all singles.

Considering rolling with him tonight against Matt Harvey.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see this guy developing into a Daniel Murphy type where the power comes along later thanks to the elite contact skills. definitely someone to keep an eye on moving forward. Currently hitting .419 for AAA Rochester with a 2.8% SwStr%.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing time is a big question this year, but between AAA & MLB, his last strikeout was May 26. You had to go back to May 16 before that. I don't know what he is at this point, but you can probably do a lot worse as a flyer in keeper leagues, especially if you can afford to hold for a bit.

He looks like a really good smart player. Had a nice at bat last night where he hit the ball to where  the shortstop would normally be. But because of the shift, no one was there. The TV showed him eyeing up where the defense was and then he was able to adjust his swing to hit the ball for a single.

He had a hit, RBI and 2 BB last night.

His defense, arm and range all look good. His batting ave in the minors is 300+. Not much power, but he might even steal a base or two now and then.  

The best part is he is only 22.  

But the Twins infield is pretty full already. Injuries have given him an opportunity. I hope he keeps taking advantage of it.

• Like 1

This guy is something else. Watching his ABs is a treat. He just spits at pitches like he knows what is coming. Almost every time a ball is called he shakes his head like "get that weak stuff outta here." Some people have made the comparison to former infielder Luis Castillo. I can see that but minus the speed. Definitely has poise and is very flashy when up to bat.

• Haha 1
On 6/20/2019 at 6:04 AM, RoadApple said:

Twins are a very deep team right now , it would probably take a rash of injuries for him to be relevant. That being said both Marwin Gonzalez and Byron Buxton are on the IL right now.

Had to cut him a week or so ago for this exact reason.  He got called back up with la Tortuga the day after the 17 inning game to give some regulars the day off, but as you said when the team is healthy there just isn't any room for him.  I like him a lot too, he's got great plate skills, but seems like an empty average guy at this point in his career.  

Keeps hitting and currently working on 2B/3B/SS/LF eligibility; the Twins seem intent on keeping him in the lineup. The peripherals so far are nuts: 95.1% contact rate; 1.9% SwStr%; both lead the Majors for anybody with 50 PA (an admittedly small sample, but still).

Edited by Hanghow
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Hanghow said:

Keeps hitting and currently working on 2B/3B/SS/LF eligibility; the Twins seem intent on keeping him in the lineup. The peripherals so far are nuts: 95.1% contact rate; 1.9% SwStr%; both lead the Majors for anybody with 50 PA (an admittedly small sample, but still).

Twins don't have a choice but to keep him in the lineup. Adrianza, Astudillo, Gonzalez, and Buxton on the IL. Kepler was hurt and now Rosario is hurt. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so Adrianza returned the 28th, Buxton and Marwin the 29th... Arraez started all but one game since. Marwin sat twice, Adrianza sat 3x. Sano did not start 2 games but came in as PH midway through both of those non-starts.  Cruz sat twice, and also was removed from last nights game as a "precaution" due to "heel discomfort". Cron has been lousy for the past 3-4 weeks, yet never really sits.

What, if anything, does all of this say about Arraez' PT going forward?

Edited by el_Mantico
typo

It could be SSS but some of his peripheral numbers are off the charts.  

I have to think that pitchers will begin to throw to him differently.

27 minutes ago, B&F said:

It could be SSS but some of his peripheral numbers are off the charts.  

I have to think that pitchers will begin to throw to him differently.

They would almost have to.  I don't see how the league would be happy to let him continue to hit .400 all season like he has pretty much all season (regardless of sample size).

Arraez is a .300 plus hitter. Currently he's hitting .413 but his BABIP is sitting @ .433. Sample size is so small can't really base a lot off of that. The .300 plus hitter is what you get if you look at his 5 year career in the minors and looking at his stats for this season.  Nothing indicates we will be getting lots of power or speed from this guy, but a juice ball may give us a few home runs like as of now, he has 2. I like the offense he's in, and a guy with a good hit tool will find his way into a lineup. I may add he did show a little SB potential in 14 & 15 in the minors (10 SB's and 8 SB's) Not sure what happen after that.

Edited by Z06vette
Corrected how many years he was in the minors only

There’s obviously no way he can sustain .400 ROS, and if you pick him up now in redraft, all you will likely get from him is regression...wish I had been wise to this guy sooner.

4 hours ago, B&F said:

I have him at about a .330 hitter based on his advanced metrics.  But that is still with a SSS.

I agree with this. This guy has future batting champion written all over him. I also believe a bit of power will come later on in his career based on his ability to make consistent solid contact kinda like Jose Altuve.