NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matt Breida 2019 Outlook

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To those complaining about Breida's usage, here are the exact RB carries & catches in the order they played out yesterday: --SF drive #1 Breida 6 yard run  (SF gets a TD pass and goes up

[...] An 8th round pick just put up 132 yards and all I see is complaining. This thread should be a celebration of a late round RB pick that actually hit.

Whatever. Who was getting Goal Line work when Coleman was playing? Wilson was on the fricken practice squad. Breida 5-11" - 195 Wilson 6' - 194 My girlfriend says one inch makes ZERO differe

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Just a heads up Niners called Jeff Wilson up from the practice squad and he looked really good in preaseason. Definitely has a chance of taking goal line carries. 

Good call - would be surprised to see a practice squad guy get the trust for goal line carries though. My guess is Kittle will just get peppered with GL targets

• Like 1

So, beyond the fact that Breida dealt with dehydration, I find it interesting how similar Breida's Week 1 numbers, against the Bucs, were in comparison to Christian McCaffrey's Week 2 against Tampa.

Matt Breida Week 1: 15 carries, 37 rushing yards

Christian McCaffrey Week 2: 16 carries, 37 rushing yards, 2 receptions, 16 yards (on 6 targets)

The Bucs shut down McCaffrey despite CMC being his normal self in Week 1 against the Rams (128 yards rushing and 81 receiving). You could argue a lot of other factors were in play. including the short week & Cam Newton's subpar performance but if you're not holding week 2 against McCaffrey, maybe Breida's performance can be overlooked as well.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 4
13 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

So, beyond the fact that Breida dealt with dehydration, I find it interesting how similar Breida's Week 1 numbers, against the Bucs, were in comparison to Christian McCaffrey's Week 2 against Tampa.

Matt Breida Week 1: 15 carries, 37 rushing yards

Christian McCaffrey Week 2: 16 carries, 37 rushing yards, 2 receptions, 16 yards (on 6 targets)

The Bucs shut down McCaffrey despite CMC being his normal self in Week 1 against the Rams (128 yards rushing and 81 receiving). You could argue a lot of other factors were in play. including the short week & Cam Newton's subpar performance but if you're not holding week 2 against McCaffrey, maybe Breida's performance can be overlooked as well.

Coleman had 56 yards on 8 touches and Mostert had 40 yards on 10 touches.

22 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

Coleman had 56 yards on 8 touches and Mostert had 40 yards on 10 touches.

My point was, it was one game. If you're looking to knock Breida, then go ahead and knock McCaffrey also.

Certainly helps to hear him say this the other day:

"The ankle is fully healed. I'm back to 100 percent," Breida said. "It was rough last year playing with it every week, being hurt, but that's part of football. You want to be out there with your brothers and play, even if that means being hurt. I'm happy and glad I'm back healthy now, and can do everything I want to do.

With Coleman out, Breida managed 15 carries for 37 yards against the Buccaneers. It wasn't the offensive showing that he or the offense had hoped for. "I definitely think we came out there and we were able to execute the plays that we wanted to, ok," Breida explained. "I feel like we do a better job, definitely, making sure everybody's on the same page and everything. I think a lot of that is just the rust. None of us had played a full game yet. We played a half, I think, through most of preseason, so as guys get back out there, they're not going to have the rust. I feel like we'll do a better job this week."

I'm starting Breida with full confidence. Strange that Mostert is getting hype like he's a rookie, when he's 27 compared to Breida, who is 24. Mostert was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2015 when Breida was still a junior at Georgia Southern. He's been rostered by the Eagles, Dolphins, Ravens, Browns, Jets, Bears and 49ers. He's solid but not going to be favored by Shanahan.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
1 hour ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

My point was, it was one game. If you're looking to knock Breida, then go ahead and knock McCaffrey also.

Certainly helps to hear him say this the other day:

"The ankle is fully healed. I'm back to 100 percent," Breida said. "It was rough last year playing with it every week, being hurt, but that's part of football. You want to be out there with your brothers and play, even if that means being hurt. I'm happy and glad I'm back healthy now, and can do everything I want to do.

With Coleman out, Breida managed 15 carries for 37 yards against the Buccaneers. It wasn't the offensive showing that he or the offense had hoped for. "I definitely think we came out there and we were able to execute the plays that we wanted to, ok," Breida explained. "I feel like we do a better job, definitely, making sure everybody's on the same page and everything. I think a lot of that is just the rust. None of us had played a full game yet. We played a half, I think, through most of preseason, so as guys get back out there, they're not going to have the rust. I feel like we'll do a better job this week."

I'm starting Breida with full confidence. Strange that Mostert is getting hype like he's a rookie, when he's 27 compared to Breida, who is 24. Mostert was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2015 when Breida was still a junior at Georgia Southern. He's been rostered by the Eagles, Dolphins, Ravens, Browns, Jets, Bears and 49ers. He's solid but not going to be favored by Shanahan.

Just pointing out that the Breida vs McCaffrey 1 for 1 comparison to justify Breida’s lack of success isn’t really comparable when SF had not one but two other backs find success in that game.

But yes it is one game.

• Like 1

I think I've been on the a** end of Breida misfortune for two years.

Meaning he's blowing up on my bench, limping off in my lineup.

But with me it's been EVERY TIME.

He's like a goddamn ff voodoo doll.

Tomorrow might be the last time I try.

Edited by Proteus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Proteus said:

I think I've been on the a** end of Breida misfortune for two years.

Meaning he's blowing up on my bench, limping off in my lineup.

But with me it's been EVERY TIME.

He's like a goddamn ff voodoo doll.

Tomorrow might be the last time I try.

Please bench him for the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, Brettg57 said:

Wilson gets all the run confirmed. #1 waiver pickup after Sunday... Watch. Smh 

What confirmed it? That he was signed from the practice squad when they have only two other active running backs? You’d think if he were going to get all this run, he wouldn’t have been 4th in the pecking order to begin with...

Just now, JoeJoe88 said:

What confirmed it? That he was signed from the practice squad when they have only two other active running backs? You’d think if he were going to get all this run, he wouldn’t have been 4th in the pecking order to begin with...

It's Sarcasm my dude. I certainly hope Breida gets all the run, Still can't trust Shanahan though. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't read too much into his lack of receiving work, there will be more of that in other games.  The flow of this game didn't dictate a lot of RB passes imo - SF was absolutely gashing them with the run game and they were blowing them out.

• Thanks 1

Exactly what I expected from Wilson Jr. I almost forgot how good mostert was before he broke his forearm last year. Cheetah is still the #1 back, I never really thought it was Coleman. A TD would have been nice today but breida was absolutely shredding the Cincy D on the ground. Niners have to keep him fresh for the rest of the season. I would plan ahead for the return of Coleman.

• Thanks 1