NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matt Breida 2019 Outlook

The SF coaching staff, Oline, TE's, et all absolutely obliterated the Bengals defensive front. It was a perfect opportunity for Shanny to let everyone eat and keep Breida fresh for the long haul of the season. You guys who think each RB's relative value for the season was encapsulated by that singe game are just spinning wheels. There will be closely contested games moving forward, especially with Joe Staley out for a few months, and you will see more usage/volume from Breida in the weeks to come. 

Mostert looked phenomenal. He's a tough, decisive, one-cut back. Wilson has looked good all camp and there's no reason SF shouldn't continue to give him the goal line carries. 

Breida is a special back and he will have some long tds and a pretty reasonable floor as well. 

All in all it's a great story with all 3 of these backs being UDFAs. 

Edited by tatddy
  • Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To those complaining about Breida's usage, here are the exact RB carries & catches in the order they played out yesterday: --SF drive #1 Breida 6 yard run  (SF gets a TD pass and goes up

[...] An 8th round pick just put up 132 yards and all I see is complaining. This thread should be a celebration of a late round RB pick that actually hit.

Whatever. Who was getting Goal Line work when Coleman was playing? Wilson was on the fricken practice squad. Breida 5-11" - 195 Wilson 6' - 194 My girlfriend says one inch makes ZERO differe

Posted Images

He looks electric and could be such a stud if he was the bellcow. Of course then he probably would be hurt constantly. There was one run last game where he got to 2nd level and probably was one broken tackle away from housing it. Too bad in that RBBC system he'll always be a low end RB2 or flex at best. 

Definitely frustrating to see him play so well only to be removed in the red zone every time. That caps his utility because he is going to be dependent on breaking off a long TD run every game. I guess we can all just pick up Wilson and hope he goes his usual 9/18/2 line

1 hour ago, jwilsonxo said:

It boggles my mind how little he's being used in the red zone when all he does it create plays when he touches the ball. 

You don’t need to create plays in the red zone. You just have to be big, strong, fall forward, be durable, and not fumble.

There’s a reason Breida will never see goal like work and none of this has changed since you drafted.

5 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

You don’t need to create plays in the red zone. You just have to be big, strong, fall forward, be durable, and not fumble.

There’s a reason Breida will never see goal like work and none of this has changed since you drafted.

Whatever. Who was getting Goal Line work when Coleman was playing? Wilson was on the fricken practice squad.

Breida 5-11" - 195
Wilson 6' - 194

My girlfriend says one inch makes ZERO difference so Redzone and goal line work shouldn't either! It makes NO SENSE.

• Haha 8

I'm a big fan of this player's talent.  But given all the RBs on this roster - and Jeff Wilson Jr. vulturing him - it's hard to use any of them.  I agree with others you should try to trade him before you just drop him, but he is droppable.

5 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

I'm a big fan of this player's talent.  But given all the RBs on this roster - and Jeff Wilson Jr. vulturing him - it's hard to use any of them.  I agree with others you should try to trade him before you just drop him, but he is droppable.

lmao I have everyone in this backfield except Wilson pair the best two guys with confidence 

Edited by Mattmac0912
12 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

Whatever. Who was getting Goal Line work when Coleman was playing? Wilson was on the fricken practice squad.

Breida 5-11" - 195
Wilson 6' - 194

My girlfriend says one inch makes ZERO difference so Redzone and goal line work shouldn't either! It makes NO SENSE.

Did you read the durable part? Part of goal line work is sometimes taking some pretty large hits.

Why would a coach subject their primary runner to big hits when a practice squad guy can do it just as effectively and if he gets hurt it doesn’t matter?

9 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

For who are you dropping him you in a six teamer ? This forum baffles me sometimes 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, atdharris said:

He's the type of playing you can't really drop but also can't realistically start, especially with Coleman potentially coming back week 5. 

He's not unstartable but it's league size dependent, like everything here. Without going through rankings I would guess he falls somewhere in the 24-30 RB range which makes him a very weak RB2 or flex play in some leagues. I don't think Coleman coming back affects him that much. Wilson probably goes bye bye and Mostert's touches drop but Breida's role remains mostly unchanged. Breida looks great out there and I'm sure the coaches see that and want to keep getting him touches. 

I have been trying to trade him but no luck yet. I may have to drop him, we only have a 4 man bench and I would rather pick up Darrel Williams to back up McCoy/Willimas (both banged up early in season). I feel this RBBC will be even more of a headache once Coleman is back. I hate just letting him go but if we had a few extra bench spots I would let him ride the pine. 

• Like 1
On 9/23/2019 at 6:09 PM, Mattmac0912 said:

For who are you dropping him you in a six teamer ? This forum baffles me sometimes 

I can understand it. He’s in that purgatory right now where he’s not a safe start given the other rbs and because he doesn’t get the goal line, but at the same time he’s too talented to drop.

The thing is though unless some of the other rbs go down with injury it seems he’s gonna be sitting in this purgatory all year. So he’s basically just holding up a bench spot or is a potential bye week filler. The upside just doesn’t seem to be there 

• 2 weeks later...