NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Matt Breida 2019 Outlook

smeeze

Head coach Kyle Shanahan on Monday indicated in his press conference that left tackle Joe Staley, defensive end Dee Ford, running back Matt Breida and kicker Robbie Gould were all progressing well and game-time decisions.

The offensive tackles also struggled Sunday night. Justin Skule, Staley’s backup, was pulled in the second quarter in favor of Daniel Brunskill. Staley’s return to the lineup to shore up Jimmy Garoppolo’s blind side would help the offense immensely.

Breida’s insertion back into the lineup would give the running game an element of explosiveness its been missing with him banged up. He’s a home run threat every time he touches the ball. While the 49ers’ other backs are talented, Breida is simply a different type of electric that helps power San Francisco’s rushing attack.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/25/49ers-injury-update-joe-staley-dee-ford-matt-breida-robbie-gould/amp/

As a Breida owner, you certainly like seeing this especially when it comes from the 49ers own website!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FreakFries said:

As a Breida owner, you certainly like seeing this especially when it comes from the 49ers own website!

is this sarcasm? sorry, i cant detect it if it is or isnt.

are you holding breida? they are saying coleman might see less touches in order to get breida and the offense humming

I would love to start Breida if I knew he was going to get the touches. Shanahan wants to run 3 different backs and give Breida no red zone looks.

I've told people from the beginning that Tevin Coleman sucks and should be the c.o.p. back and not splitting carries, Coleman was horrible last year when Freeman went down and he's the same crappy back when Breida went down.

If Breida gets the touches he puts up awesome stats but there in lies the problem.

37 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I don’t think he’s the worst guy to have for depth because he could be started in a pinch. Has a decent floor when healthy and some blowup potential. But, his value is seriously capped by lack of touches, particularly red zone and catches 

All true.

I have him in one league for depth and have absolutely hated owning him.  The only week the rest of the way I'd entertain starting him is Wee k15 and even that's a stretch unless there are other injuries in the SF backfield.

And I'll say this....He's a guy that will never be on one of my teams again.  Just too fragile and SF seems to know it which is why he'll always be in a committee.

4 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I have him in one league for depth and have absolutely hated owning him.  

Basically me. He’s better than anyone on the wire but I’ve never been excited about starting him when I had to and always considered him just a stopgap until I could figure out something better. I think that’s probably how everyone who still owns him views him and probably what his fantasy outlook will always be

49ers’ RB Matt Breida, listed as questionable for Sunday due to an ankle injury, is expected to play against the Ravens, per source.
12:00 AM · Dec 1, 2019

Should be interesting to see who is right here. Either way, sounds like Brenda is stil banged up. The real question is WHY would you risk playing someone with a bad ankle, someone who always has a bad ankle, in the rain??

32 minutes ago, FreakFries said:
49ers’ RB Matt Breida, listed as questionable for Sunday due to an ankle injury, is expected to play against the Ravens, per source.
12:00 AM · Dec 1, 2019

Should be interesting to see who is right here. Either way, sounds like Brenda is stil banged up. The real question is WHY would you risk playing someone with a bad ankle, someone who always has a bad ankle, in the rain??

That's almost too easy.  The answer is "Schefter is right, Rapoport is wrong."

Why would the 49ers play Breida at less than 100%?  I have no idea, but they have been doing that almost every game for the past two seasons, so why stop now.

21 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

I need him back , and to have him at full health is a great thing for the playoffs.

I do not mind seeing him sit to get healthy.  

"Need" is a strong word. He's a barely reliable RB3/Flex at best when he plays. He never gets GL carries with Coleman in or out. 

People likely "need" someone like Ertz to play but Breida would seem more like a "would be nice" to play. 

22 minutes ago, huskydawgs33 said:

what are we thinking this week boys?

I might be stuck playing him because of no options.  It’s either him or AP in a PPR.  I would not start Breida unless you have no choice.  The work is just not there for him.  

Edited by dlionsfan901

47 minutes ago, MoonBlaster said:

Absolute desperation play at this point, he has home run ability but you're almost completely banking on that since he's not allowed to play football inside the 20 yard line.

The Will Fuller of RBs.

horrible analogy w/Fuller. 

Fuller has won weeks for owners with massive numbers.

both have played 40 career games ...

Breida: 6 TDs

Fuller: 16 TDs

they are similar in the constant nagging injury vibe, sure ... but Breida is nowhere near Fuller's value when both are healthy.  not even close. 

5 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

horrible analogy w/Fuller. 

Fuller has won weeks for owners with massive numbers.

both have played 40 career games ...

Breida: 6 TDs

Fuller: 16 TDs

they are similar in the constant nagging injury vibe, sure ... but Breida is nowhere near Fuller's value when both are healthy.  not even close. 

My favorite post this offseason was someone predicting 9 TDs for Breida this year despite him never once being used as a goal line option.

• Haha 1