NBC Sports Edge Forums

Amari Cooper 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, obithewan said:

He's given up TDs to Alshon and Diggs. Also, ARob put up 102 yards while seeing a lot of Alexander. But yeah, otherwise, he has been one of the better corners in the league. It won't be an easy day for either player, but Amari's talent, size advantage, and volume give him a better than average chance to put up valuable points.

Yeah...I looked at the stats and they look OK for opposing WR.  But looking at his advanced stats made me aware of how good he is.  I’m most concerned that the CB keep it on the ground and he only gets 5 or 6 targets which might be in very tough coverage.  

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you kidding? I dont like amari much, but he was VERY SOLID. 5-58-1 6-75-0 3-36- bad game 8-180-2  8-76-0 10-217-3 4-32-0- 11 yards rushing- bad game 4-20- b

Interestingly, there is a "Cooper" health institute that has a study on Plantar Fasciitis: https://www.cooperhealth.org/services/plantar-fasciitis  It would seem to me that with sufficient rest,

Insanely bad takes. You can't count his first 6 games with the raiders, because that gives NO context to how he will do with the cowboys in 2019. The two playoff games were with the team and when they

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Yeah...I looked at the stats and they look OK for opposing WR.  But looking at his advanced stats made me aware of how good he is.  I’m most concerned that the CB keep it on the ground and he only gets 5 or 6 targets which might be in very tough coverage.  

Valid concerns. GB has given up a lot on the ground this year too. Another thing: It'll be interesting to see how negatively affected the offense will be with absence of Tyron Smith (LT).

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, obithewan said:

Valid concerns. GB has given up a lot on the ground this year too. Another thing: It'll be interesting to see how negatively affected the offense will be with absence of Tyron Smith (LT).

For sure.  In the past, Dak has been terrible with missing O-line.  I’m hoping that Moore is creative enough to work around it.

2 hours ago, K197040 said:

No matter how good a corner it’s hard to see a situation where you’re benching cooper this week. I guess if you hit on Godwin Watkins and Kupp later in your draft year or if it’s a keeper/dynasty league yeah, but outside of that he’s almost a set and forget no matter who he’s playing.

Could I see him going for 3/40 this week yeah if that’s how the game script and coverage goes but if he goes for 7-120-2 I also wouldn’t be surprised at all. Jaire Alexander has been exceptionally good this season but are we going to put A-rob/sanders/Sutton/Jeffries in the same class as cooper? If you wanted to argue I could see an argument where Diggs/Thielen are at least close to Coopers level but the Minnesota offense more closely resembles a middle school offense right now than it does an NFL offense.
So if Alexander has a good week against cooper I would view him as a threat at CB for upcoming matchups but for this week I am not scared at all by him.

• Like 1

There's plenty to be concerned about this week.  Not only is GB much better at defending the pass than the run, but they are missing a major offensive weapon which could put the Cowboys in a position to not need to play catch up near as much, and the Cowboys D is starting to play much better too.  Plus, Cooper's nagging foot issue and Alexander being a solid cover.  I'm not saying Cooper is a sit --- most people can't sit their 1st / 2nd round pick level players, but temper expectations.  I'd agree that something like 3/50 is the floor for this week and while his ceiling is still remarkably high based on his past performances, this week it feels unlikely he would approach a 'ceiling' level of usage or performance.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, obithewan said:

He's given up TDs to Alshon and Diggs. Also, ARob put up 102 yards while seeing a lot of Alexander. But yeah, otherwise, he has been one of the better corners in the league. It won't be an easy day for either player, but Amari's talent, size advantage, and volume give him a better than average chance to put up valuable points.

Dude. Come on. None of Robinson's production came with Alexander covering him. And Diggs touchdown came against Kevin King. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Dude. Come on. None of Robinson's production came with Alexander covering him. And Diggs touchdown came against Kevin King. 

I don't know if it was none, but you're right, it looks like he saw more of Taylor Gabriel. On the Diggs TD, they were in Cover 3. King was first contact and Alexander came up short while picking up coverage on the back end. I'll concede that he wasn't exactly burned on that TD though. Good points.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, jonasdash said:

There's plenty to be concerned about this week.  Not only is GB much better at defending the pass than the run, but they are missing a major offensive weapon which could put the Cowboys in a position to not need to play catch up near as much, and the Cowboys D is starting to play much better too.  Plus, Cooper's nagging foot issue and Alexander being a solid cover.  I'm not saying Cooper is a sit --- most people can't sit their 1st / 2nd round pick level players, but temper expectations.  I'd agree that something like 3/50 is the floor for this week and while his ceiling is still remarkably high based on his past performances, this week it feels unlikely he would approach a 'ceiling' level of usage or performance.  

Good take-  agreed.  

Gallup is playing too.   But I can’t see a world where you bench Amari Cooper.   He’s been too good with Dak to get cute. 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Good take-  agreed.  

Gallup is playing too.   But I can’t see a world where you bench Amari Cooper.   He’s been too good with Dak to get cute. 

Especially with the possibility of Gallup being a decoy this game 

• Like 1

This has all the makings of letdown game. First, you have a Packers defense that is struggling to stop the run. I do think it's a little overblown (half of Cook's yardage come on one play and the short turn around on Thursday night against Philly) but the best way to attack them is on the ground.

Second, no Tyron Smith. I haven't looked at the stats after Week 4, but going into Week 4 Green Bay had been leading the league in pressures and was one of the top units in sacks, accomplishing that while being towards the bottom in blitz attempts. This front 7 is really good at winning one on one's when only sending 4 or 5 guys. Dallas just lost one of leagues better LT's, so it's probably best not to drop back and throw 30+ times considering the Packers efficiencies and deficiencies. 

Third, the Cowboys defense isn't generating pressure or sacks, Green Bay has a very good line, and Bulaga is back to practicing after missing last week, meaning Rodgers should have plenty of time on Sunday. They'll do what they can to keep him off the field. 

Add it all up and Dallas will want to play a possession game. The best thing that could happen for Cooper and his owners would be a fast start by Green Bay, forcing Dallas to play catchup. Green Bay has been scoring a lot of their points early in ball games, so a fast start could easily happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
53 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

Turns out Cooper is pretty good against elite CBs. Absolutely smoked Alexander in the 53 yard TD.

He really is one of the best route runners in the league.  He’s always open.   Good stuff.  I was going to be happy with 5/50 and 1.

• Like 1

Cooper (ankle/quadriceps) was a limited participant in Wednesday's practice, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports.

Spin: Cooper has been nursing a lingering ankle issue since Week 4 but he hasn't missed any time due to the injury. The 25-year-old's quad issue, on the other hand, is a new injury suffered during Sunday's loss to the Packers, according to Todd Archer of ESPN.com. There's not yet any reason to worry that Cooper's availability for the Week 6 matchup with the Jets is in any jeopardy, but the extent of his participation in practice Thursday and Friday will be worth monitoring.
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

The 25-year-old's quad issue, on the other hand, is a new injury suffered during Sunday's loss to the Packers

Just think of how many yards he would've had last week without the quad issue.  I believe he will be just fine this week

Amari has now played 16 games (including playoffs) in Dallas and his stats are:

98-1427-12

Those are elite WR1 numbers in any format and he’s getting better and better each week. The home/away split is slightly concerning but I don’t see it mattering that much this week against the Jets.@NE in week 12 and @CHI during the opening week of the playoffs do concern me though.

Edited by Ddam2013
1 minute ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Amari's probably just sore from having shredded Green Bay so badly.  So bummed that the rest of my lineup crapped out and prevented me from getting the W.  Was all set to rename my team "Hangin' with Mr. Cooper" if that had happened.  😄

Image result for hangin' with mr. cooper

Don't let your memes be dreams.

On 10/4/2019 at 11:07 PM, jonasdash said:

With all that to overcome...200+ yards receiving, including a 53 yard TD.  What a stud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1