NBC Sports Edge Forums

Amari Cooper 2019 Outlook

You can literally make an argument for and against any of the wr’s after the big 3 or 4. Even guys like OBJ have question marks (volume, game flow, consistency, injury history). Amari’s situation is as appealing as any of them. A full offseason with the team and no doubt status as the first option in the passing game. He’s also widely considered a top route runner in the league. He’s flawed but who isn’t in the middle to low end tier of #1 wr’s?

• Like 1
  • Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you kidding? I dont like amari much, but he was VERY SOLID. 5-58-1 6-75-0 3-36- bad game 8-180-2  8-76-0 10-217-3 4-32-0- 11 yards rushing- bad game 4-20- b

Interestingly, there is a "Cooper" health institute that has a study on Plantar Fasciitis: https://www.cooperhealth.org/services/plantar-fasciitis  It would seem to me that with sufficient rest,

Insanely bad takes. You can't count his first 6 games with the raiders, because that gives NO context to how he will do with the cowboys in 2019. The two playoff games were with the team and when they

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

You can literally make an argument for and against any of the wr’s after the big 3 or 4. Even guys like OBJ have question marks (volume, game flow, consistency, injury history). Amari’s situation is as appealing as any of them. A full offseason with the team and no doubt status as the first option in the passing game. He’s also widely considered a top route runner in the league. He’s flawed but who isn’t in the middle to low end tier of #1 wr’s?

I say that there are at least 12-13 guys that I would take before Cooper without hesitation.

I'll also say that there are at least 5 more WR's who I would put within his range/tier and that I would not mind waiting another round for instead of getting Cooper.

• Like 1
Just now, K197040 said:

Nothing that cryotherapy can't fix

lets just hope he wears the proper foot protection ;)

I just saw this earlier and wanted the news out there for possible investors to monitor.  Garrett has been oddly pushing off Cooper as day to day but i felt something more was happening here.  I def want to see a bit more info or a follow up to this.  Now that Mickey has this out there i would expect Garrett to be pressed a bit harder on it.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

I agree with this somewhat.  Although I'd expand that top group to include OBJ and Hill.   Probably JuJu who I think will get volume.   But Evans, Keenan, Theilan, Diggs?  I think Cooper has as good a case as any of those.   And I think Cooper had top 5 upside which I don't believe those guys have.

58 minutes ago, CooL said:

I'd feel more comfortable with Amari in a best ball format rather than a season long redraft.  Too Whac a Mole-ish for me.

And is there something in the water in Dallas that makes people nuts?  Amari wants to wait until Julio signs because he wants presumably a comparable deal?  What?  He thinks he is on Julio's level?!  Dak wanting $40 million and more money than Russell Wilson?  I hope JJ holds his ground.

One stat i found imprezzive...IIRC

#4 scoring fantasy after his trade to Dallas.  7+ targets in 7/9 games.    The idea that AC isn’t going to be regularly targeted in Dallas is misguided 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

One stat i found imprezzive...IIRC

#4 scoring fantasy after his trade to Dallas.  7+ targets in 7/9 games.    The idea that AC isn’t going to be regularly targeted in Dallas is misguided 

I think targets are being over magnified. Most of the top 10-12 receivers have averaged between 9-10 targets per game. Also, looking more closely at his WOW performance in PPR in 2018, it tells a different story:

WK9: WR13

WK10: WR20

WK11: WR49

WK13: WR24

WK15: WR40

WK16: WR63

WK17: WR53

2 games accounted for most of his production with the 'Boys. Sounds very familiar to his days with Oakland, except maybe with the 'Boys his floor is slightly higher.

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

I think targets are being over magnified. Most of the top 10-12 receivers have averaged between 9-10 targets per game. Also, looking more closely at his WOW performance in PPR in 2018, it tells a different story:

WK9: WR13

WK10: WR20

WK11: WR49

WK13: WR24

WK15: WR40

WK16: WR63

WK17: WR53

2 games accounted for most of his production with the 'Boys. Sounds very familiar to his days with Oakland, except maybe with the 'Boys his floor is slightly higher.

Yes, completely agree. 

I remember reading these stats somewhere: 

Over the past 2 seasons, he has 7 games of 80+ receiving yards and 7 games of 10 or fewer receiving yards (!)

In each of the last 2 seasons, he scored over 50% of his fantasy points in just 3 games.

He's the very definition of Boom or Bust, Whac a Mole, sort of like what Vincent Jackson was all those years.

Add in this mysterious foot problem that has sidelined him for the last 6 practices?  I'm avoiding. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, CooL said:

Yes, completely agree. 

I remember reading these stats somewhere: 

Over the past 2 seasons, he has 7 games of 80+ receiving yards and 7 games of 10 or fewer receiving yards (!)

In each of the last 2 seasons, he scored over 50% of his fantasy points in just 3 games.

He's the very definition of Boom or Bust, Whac a Mole, sort of like what Vincent Jackson was all those years.

Add in this mysterious foot problem that has sidelined him for the last 6 practices?  I'm avoiding. 

Fair enough-  but I am curious why that stat decided to use 2 seasons as the parameter.  

Completely ignore his new team eh.... 

3 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

Are we forgetting that the dude literally joined the cowboys in the middle of the season? That’s nearly an impossible ask for any wr. You don’t think a full offseason helped? 

Do you literally have to use literally in every post?

Even with the Cowboys he had 4/9 games under 40 yards. Obviously, as a WR it is a lot more difficult to get used to a new team but the Cowboys don't like to throw the ball and Cooper has consistency issues. Not a great combination if you want a set and forget WR. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Fair enough-  but I am curious why that stat decided to use 2 seasons as the parameter.  

Completely ignore his new team eh.... 

3 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

Are we forgetting that the dude literally joined the cowboys in the middle of the season? That’s nearly an impossible ask for any wr. You don’t think a full offseason helped? 

I think this answers the question.  Who knows why that stat chose 2 seasons, but I'm guessing because it's hard to extrapolate off just a partial season with the Cowboys. 

Sure, a lot of it was with the Raiders.  And every stud WR can have some duds.  Just seems like this guy has more duds than normal.  Supporters will argue that it's all going to be different now that he's on the Cowboys.  But I'm not a fan.  Especially also with a foot injury, which obviously is never good for a receiver.

26 minutes ago, CooL said:

I think this answers the question.  Who knows why that stat chose 2 seasons, but I'm guessing because it's hard to extrapolate off just a partial season with the Cowboys. 

Sure, a lot of it was with the Raiders.  And every stud WR can have some duds.  Just seems like this guy has more duds than normal.  Supporters will argue that it's all going to be different now that he's on the Cowboys.  But I'm not a fan.  Especially also with a foot injury, which obviously is never good for a receiver.

Not saying that he shouldn't have some of the blame for the Oakland situation.   But a lot of his duds resulted from being targeted 5 or less times several games.  And of those, he was targeted only once in 2 of them.  And targeted twice in 1 of them.   

22 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Not saying that he shouldn't have some of the blame for the Oakland situation.   But a lot of his duds resulted from being targeted 5 or less times several games.  And of those, he was targeted only once in 2 of them.  And targeted twice in 1 of them.   

You're right that the Oakland duds were primarily a product of not being targeted but 2 of his 4 duds as a Cowboy (<40 yards) were with 5 targets. In the other two games he had 7 targets for 32 yards and 11 targets for 31 yards.

It's concerning that the trend carried on with DAL too, especially 3 in a row to end the year right after his monster 217 yd, 3 TD game against PHI

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

You're right that the Oakland duds were primarily a product of not being targeted but 2 of his 4 duds as a Cowboy (<40 yards) were with 5 targets. In the other two games he had 7 targets for 32 yards and 11 targets for 31 yards.

It's concerning that the trend carried on with DAL too, especially 3 in a row to end the year right after his monster 217 yd, 3 TD game against PHI

I hear you.  It's why it's so hard for me to really rate him.   I try not to make excuses for players to convince myself to draft them.

But I think it's valid to consider he joined the CB in mid-season and wasn't up to full speed.

Edited by K197040
5 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Dak throws like Edward Scissorhands, so this doesn't surprise me.

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, BlakeP42 said:

SCOOP - #Cowboys Amari Cooper, I’m told, has ‘plantar fascia irritation’ but ‘He’ll be fine,’ source says. FULL STORY in moments at @1053thefan - Mike Fischer

a bit more here @K197040

Interestingly, there is a "Cooper" health institute that has a study on Plantar Fasciitis: https://www.cooperhealth.org/services/plantar-fasciitis :)

It would seem to me that with sufficient rest, this shouldn't be a problem for his production this season. The problem of course is that the timing is very bad, and I'm sure neither he nor the team wants him to rest right now.

On a positive note, I found that both Marques Colston in 2012 and Jimmy Graham in 2013 suffered from something similar early in the season, and both had 1000+ yd seasons; Graham even had his best season points wise. So no need to sell low on Cooper yet.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Interestingly, there is a "Cooper" health institute that has a study on Plantar Fasciitis: https://www.cooperhealth.org/services/plantar-fasciitis :)

It would seem to me that with sufficient rest, this shouldn't be a problem for his production this season. The problem of course is that the timing is very bad, and I'm sure neither he nor the team wants him to rest right now.

On a positive note, I found that both Marques Colston in 2012 and Jimmy Graham in 2013 suffered from something similar early in the season, and both had 1000+ yd seasons; Graham even had his best season points wise. So no need to sell low on Cooper yet.

I just fail to see how the Cowboys can confidently say he'll be ready by Week 1.  Plantar fascia "irritation", usually means inflammation, so I would say that yes, it's probably plantar fasciitis that he's dealing with.  Sure, there's two guys you mentioned that overcame the injury.  But from my understanding, some times it takes months for it to heal, and usually it only heals with rest, meaning that you can't be running hard on your feet.  Just don't see how for sure this won't be an issue during the season.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 7:16 PM, nmartinez12443 said:

Are you kidding? I dont like amari much, but he was VERY SOLID.

5-58-1

6-75-0

3-36- bad game

8-180-2 

8-76-0

10-217-3

4-32-0- 11 yards rushing- bad game

4-20- bad game

Week 17- They rested their starters, but he still had 5-32

Playoffs

7-106

6-65-1 td

You can open pretty much WR thread and find people saying they're inconsistent. When 100% of the NFL's WRs are inconsistent, makes you think...

On 8/13/2019 at 10:42 AM, nonstopfan said:

I say that there are at least 12-13 guys that I would take before Cooper without hesitation.

I'll also say that there are at least 5 more WR's who I would put within his range/tier and that I would not mind waiting another round for instead of getting Cooper.

Does anyone feel this way?