Cavan Biggio 2019 Outlook

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just saw pic on Rotoworld. Dropped.

All hail Cavan the Broken, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Six Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, and Player of Many Positions for The Jays of Toronto

Every time I land a prospect I feel like I'm catching a rare Pokémon.   Go Cavan!

4 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Yeah. Toronto is horrific and they may as well get their kids some seasoning. 

TY

so upside of 20/8 ros? His SO rare really scares me. I do not think his skill got better this year in the minors no matter what his BA shows. 

14 hours ago, tonywow said:

Anyone seen him play either game ?

Curious if he has looked overmatched or what not. 

Looking undermatched today baby! 3-4 with a homer. 

He has a sweet uppercut stroke.  There is 25 home runs a season in that swing.  I don't know what kind of average he will hit for though.  

A good comp would be Dan Uggla with less power and more speed.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty meh start but he’s been drawing a bunch of walks the last 4 games. His swinging strike is 7.x% so the K rate is definitely inflated and his hard hit rate is good. Line drive rate is way high. I’m intrigued. Don’t really want to burn a bench spot if he’s not hitting but the batted ball profile will keep him stashed for me, for now. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, KrunK said:

Pretty meh start but he’s been drawing a bunch of walks the last 4 games. His swinging strike is 7.x% so the K rate is definitely inflated and his hard hit rate is good. Line drive rate is way high. I’m intrigued. Don’t really want to burn a bench spot if he’s not hitting but the batted ball profile will keep him stashed for me, for now. 

I dropped him. In a non-dynasty league it seemed like there’s more value in going with whoever is on a streak rather than waiting for Biggio to maybe put something admirable together. 

He's certainly on the 12-team mixed MI radar again.  Striking out a lot, but also walking a lot, so the OBP has actually been okay.  I had sort of filed him under "better in real life than fantasy for now", but maybe there's something more there.

12 minutes ago, ghostdragon said:

anyone take notice of biggio? seems to be heating up

Seems to be heating up? The two HRs yesterday were good for his owners, but that's hardly the definition of "heating up". He was hitless in his previous 13 ABs...1-for-23 prior to yesterday. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

He's certainly on the 12-team mixed MI radar again.  Striking out a lot, but also walking a lot, so the OBP has actually been okay.  I had sort of filed him under "better in real life than fantasy for now", but maybe there's something more there.

He's definitely more valuable in OBP leagues and will likely always carry more value there. The walks are making his OBP almost double his BA right now. 

19 minutes ago, Phreedom32 said:

I’ve been watching his abs almost every game he plays. It’s a topic the tv guys cover often...he’s been routinely robbed of line drive hits and warning track power for a couple weeks now...I’m a believer.

I'm a believer...I own him in a 5yr keeper league. But to say he's heating up isn't statistically accurate. Sure he may be hitting the ball hard, hitting at-em balls, and getting robbed, but he's still 3 for his last 27. Now maybe yesterday will be the start of a hot streak. The hard contact is a good sign. 

Unfortunately he gets G.Cole, then two straight LHP, then one RHP, followed by 4 (and likely 5) straight LHP. 

By looking at his splits, it appears he may not be starting v. LHP (9 games, 15 PAs)? So we may have to wait at least another week.

6 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Unfortunately he gets G.Cole, then two straight LHP, then one RHP, followed by 4 (and likely 5) straight LHP. 

By looking at his splits, it appears he may not be starting v. LHP (9 games, 15 PAs)? So we may have to wait at least another week.

Looking at his minor states, he doesn't have a problem against lefties. Might just be part of "easing" him into the majors. But I suspect he'll play some of those games

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Phreedom32 said:

I’ve been watching his abs almost every game he plays. It’s a topic the tv guys cover often...he’s been routinely robbed of line drive hits and warning track power for a couple weeks now...I’m a believer.

True, his splits according to Fangraphs are: 6.7 % Soft, 43.3 % Medium, and 50.0 % Hard (that's what she said). Combined with a 50% flyball rate (against only 26.7% groundballs), he's hitting the ball hard and in the air. I know scouts generally write him off, but I'm intrigued.

• Like 2