NBC Sports Edge Forums

19 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

Is it wrong I'm suspicious? It looks like his plate discipline has got much better but how much PCL inflation is in play with his power?  

Regardless, I still might put in a claim because I'm desperate for power.

Edited out something wrong I wrote about Arizona with Cron and Rule 5 draft

I mean, he's obviously not gonna keep pace with AAA numbers this year, but he has a track record for having good power. And even if you cut his AAA in half, he's still on a good pace for the season. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was expected. There are only so many days of Walker pulling 0fers before they give Cron a shot. I'm riding it out for a bit.

I guess my response to this would be...why bring him up in the midst of Walker's struggle if you're just going to use him as a PHer? Wouldn't it make sense to use someone else to PH and leave Cron in

Seriously? I'm just having a conversation, and you want to be a jackwagon about it. How in the world is it not a serious question to wonder why you bring up a guy tearing up AAA to sit him on the benc

Definitely temper expectations. I’m happy he was called up, but he was just stupid in the PCL this year. Even 1/3 of his redonkulous AAA pace (75 HR, 210 RBI over 150 games) would be solid. 

He plays in one of those parks that allows you to not dismiss, but lessen the concerns of the inflated PCL numbers.

Looking at the schedule, he still has 57 home games in hitter friendly Ariz. They've only played 3 games in COL so another 6-7 there. Road trips to PHI, TOR, MIL, CIN, TEX still on the docket. 7 left against WASH and that awful bullpen of theirs.....

You'll have to excuse me, I need to wipe the drool off of my chin. 

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Definitely temper expectations. I’m happy he was called up, but he was just stupid in the PCL this year. Even 1/3 of his redonkulous AAA pace (75 HR, 210 RBI over 150 games) would be solid. 

Man I need to play in a PCL only league

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

He plays in one of those parks that allows you to not dismiss, but lessen the concerns of the inflated PCL numbers.

Looking at the schedule, he still has 57 home games in hitter friendly Ariz. They've only played 3 games in COL so another 6-7 there. Road trips to PHI, TOR, MIL, CIN, TEX still on the docket. 7 left against WASH and that awful bullpen of theirs.....

Hahahaha nailed it 😂

1 hour ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Arizona is no longer a hitter's paradise.  This year they rank below average in every category except triples...http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Man I need to play in a PCL only league

MLB is close enough to PCL in my opinion. So many players are able to increase HR totals in the majors.  Power from minors to MLB is very translatable, these MLB balls fly.

• Like 1

I believe he plays a fair amount.  Isn't he being called up as a result of Wilmer Flores going down and C Walker struggling?

I believe he takes the Wilmer Flores utility infielder role until Lamb comes back. Wilmer was getting semi regular at bats every week and was useful in the right matchups.  Wilmer was fairly effective in that role without the power upside of Cron at his disposal.  Cron is def a stash and see how it plays out. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Musashi said:

MLB is close enough to PCL in my opinion. So many players are able to increase HR totals in the majors.  Power from minors to MLB is very translatable, these MLB balls fly.

They just switched in AAA to using the MLB balls; both AAA leagues are on historic home run paces. This logic was fine last year but it's outdated now.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/new-ball-is-sparking-an-offensive-explosion-in-triple-a/

I think it’s BS that they call up the guy leading all of professional baseball in homers with a pretty impressive walk/K ratio to mostly pinch hit.  I think the Dbacks are just telling the press that out of respect for Walker.

• Thanks 1

Let’s see how he does tonight vs Pomerance and that nasty breaking ball. If he shows good patience at the plate I’m going to be thrilled. I have seen Pomerance’s curve and that’s no joke. I have added Cron for the upside and Hope he hits out of the gate to solidify a spot in the starting lineup. I’ve never seen the kid hit, can anyone that has comment on his swing?

10 minutes ago, FUM said:

I think it’s BS that they call up the guy leading all of professional baseball in homers with a pretty impressive walk/K ratio to mostly pinch hit.  I think the Dbacks are just telling the press that out of respect for Walker.

Bingo.

An exciting add in all leagues.  Mixed or otherwise.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 2
27 minutes ago, Krambone said:

Let’s see how he does tonight vs Pomerance and that nasty breaking ball. If he shows good patience at the plate I’m going to be thrilled. I have seen Pomerance’s curve and that’s no joke. I have added Cron for the upside and Hope he hits out of the gate to solidify a spot in the starting lineup. I’ve never seen the kid hit, can anyone that has comment on his swing?

Not gonna lie.  It’s making me nervous that you spelled it Pomerance...twice. 😂

• Like 1
6 hours ago, hard1 said:

He's had 5 straight years with 20 plus homers... 1 in the PCL.. he still has power

yes he does....and so does walker who owns the second hardest hit rate in MLB after Gallo.....unfortunately for these types of players....like Voit and Vogelback....they cant shine until given enough time....lets see how this kid pans out....I am a Walker owner who is close to dropping myself.

4 hours ago, JetsAwesome said:

I believe he plays a fair amount.  Isn't he being called up as a result of Wilmer Flores going down and C Walker struggling?

I believe he takes the Wilmer Flores utility infielder role until Lamb comes back. Wilmer was getting semi regular at bats every week and was useful in the right matchups.  Wilmer was fairly effective in that role without the power upside of Cron at his disposal.  Cron is def a stash and see how it plays out. 

great comment/observation....i see it playing out this way.

16 hours ago, meh2 said:

Looks like he’s a part time player, at least to start.

Now watch this place act surprised and completely implode once he truly is being used as a pinch hitter and occasional first baseman. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Arizona is no longer a hitter's paradise.  This year they rank below average in every category except triples...http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

I would expect those numbers to normalize. Its only been outside of the top 10 once for runs in the last 5 years, which was last year when it was 11th. And elevation is elevation. Its not like they dug out 1000 feet of dirt from under the place. 

Edited by Junkie Cosmonaut
3 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I would expect those numbers to normalize. Its only been outside of the top 10 once for runs in the last 5 years, which was last year when it was 11th. And elevation is elevation. Its not like they dug out 1000 feet of dirt from under the place. 

Arizona added a humidor last year and it's not even that much elevation... for reference, Coors field is 5x higher above sea level. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

Now watch this place act surprised and completely implode once he truly is being used as a pinch hitter and occasional first baseman. 

I'm not saying that they won't do that, I just don't understand why teams bring up a player to use them in that role.

*slowly rotates gaze to stare at the Colorado Rockies organization*

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

I would be surprised if Cron starts hitting HR's and they don't play him more than Walker if he's still struggling.

16 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Are his AAA league parks considered hitter-friendly? Should we temper expectations on homers in Arizona?

He played for Reno which is 4500 feet above sea level, one of the best places to hit in the hitter-friendly PCL, and 15 of his 21 homers came at home.

That many HR is impressive anywhere, but the environment was a factor.

• Like 2