NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was expected. There are only so many days of Walker pulling 0fers before they give Cron a shot. I'm riding it out for a bit.

I guess my response to this would be...why bring him up in the midst of Walker's struggle if you're just going to use him as a PHer? Wouldn't it make sense to use someone else to PH and leave Cron in

Seriously? I'm just having a conversation, and you want to be a jackwagon about it. How in the world is it not a serious question to wonder why you bring up a guy tearing up AAA to sit him on the benc

I guess ARZ has a quota for strikeouts that they haven't reached for the week.  Ridiculous that Walker gets another start with how horrendous he's looked this month.  Guess they weren't kidding about Cron being a pinch hitter or getting an occasional start.  Still believe it's a matter of time until Cron takes over, but this is just sad for now..  #FreeCron

• Like 2

Walker is hitting .179 with 31 Ks and just 1 HR in May.  But sure, let's continue to trot him out there over the AAA HR leader in Cron, who you just called up to apparently watch Walker and learn a thing or two from him.  This would be the equivalent of bringing up Alvarez to sit on the bench and watch White flounder.  At least HOU is smart enough to keep Alvarez in the minors to keep getting regular ABs.  What a joke this situation is..

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

Walker is hitting .179 with 31 Ks and just 1 HR in May.  But sure, let's continue to trot him out there over the AAA HR leader in Cron, who you just called up to apparently watch Walker and learn a thing or two from him.  This would be the equivalent of bringing up Alvarez to sit on the bench and watch White flounder.  At least HOU is smart enough to keep Alvarez in the minors to keep getting regular ABs.  What a joke this situation is..

Agreed. Walker has been given enough opportunies. Time to move on. No point in bringing hot hitting Cron up just so he can rot on the bench. That hot streak can translate to the majors but if you bench the may go cold. 

1 minute ago, Kaii23 said:

Agreed. Walker has been given enough opportunies. Time to move on. No point in bringing hot hitting Cron up just so he can rot on the bench. That hot streak can translate to the majors but if you bench the may go cold. 

Not to mention that he won’t be leading the PCL in HRs, RBIs & Runs in a day or two. 🤔 

49 minutes ago, EduardoJorge27 said:

Maybe we start to see a trent where cron PH for 2 ABs a game. Split their time at the plate at first til walker slowly disappears back to the minors. The bigger question is what happens when lamb gets healthy?

I would guess a trip back to AAA unless they decide to move Escobar off 3B and put Lamb back there. But I think Cron is going to have to crush and force Arizona to keep him up. I fully expect him to be sent back down at some point. 

What I think maybe happening here for now is Walker vs. R and Cron vs. L? The only start Cron had since has been called up was vs. L, and that also has been the only L the Diamondbacks have faced. Coincidence? 

This is interesting, few thoughts:

- Diamondbacks don't face another lefty in their series vs. COL until the last game on Thursday

- While I think there maybe a platoon here, I don't think they will sit Cron out for this many days in a row and should see him once vs. a R this series too. But I fully expect him to start on Thursday vs. L. 

- I do think eventually, if Walker continues to struggle, Cron starts playing vs. R as well. 

- Lamb is terrible vs. L, so the fact Cron is starting vs. L might be a sign Arizona wants to keep him up 

5 hours ago, Mexal said:

This was expected. There are only so many days of Walker pulling 0fers before they give Cron a shot. I'm riding it out for a bit.

Yep. I added him fully knowing this may take a few days to make a difference. I made the mistake of not holding Chavis long enough, and won't risk that happening again.

Cron has as many RBI (2) in ONE start in May as Walker has had the entire month.

Walker is also 0-3 right now, but surprisingly no Ks.

II would fully expect Cron to get a chance to take over sooner than later. If he hits he will unseat Walker. I would like to see him get the shot sooner than later, since he was white hot in the minors before his callup. Ridiculous to stunt his growth by letting him sit behind a Quad A player.

Edited by nlm
7 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

0-5 today. They won't allow Walker to continue to do nothing. 

No K's at least (yet), but Walker also has left 5 on base for the game.  The dude is abysmal.  If Cron isn't in the lineup tomorrow, Lovullo needs fired.

2 hours ago, terminator10 said:

What I think maybe happening here for now is Walker vs. R and Cron vs. L? The only start Cron had since has been called up was vs. L, and that also has been the only L the Diamondbacks have faced. Coincidence? 

This is interesting, few thoughts:

- Diamondbacks don't face another lefty in their series vs. COL until the last game on Thursday

- While I think there maybe a platoon here, I don't think they will sit Cron out for this many days in a row and should see him once vs. a R this series too. But I fully expect him to start on Thursday vs. L. 

- I do think eventually, if Walker continues to struggle, Cron starts playing vs. R as well. 

- Lamb is terrible vs. L, so the fact Cron is starting vs. L might be a sign Arizona wants to keep him up 

I agree this, cron appears to be brought up as a platoon bat against lefties.  Even if cron temporarily supplants walker vs righties, unfortunately when lamb returns cron might be again fully relegated to the weak side of a platoon.

18 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

I agree this, cron appears to be brought up as a platoon bat against lefties.  Even if cron temporarily supplants walker vs righties, unfortunately when lamb returns cron might be again fully relegated to the weak side of a platoon.

When Lamb returns, I think a lot will depend on if Cron is playing regularly (or even still up) and if he is hitting the ball. If he's mashing, they will find a place for him in the lineup. Lamb isn't Mike Trout or anything.

I will say that Cron seemingly has an uphill battle of sorts. He needs to find himself seeing regular at bats, and he needs to make the most of them. Or he needs to make the most out of a part-time role until he forces their hand. It's frustrating, but they pretty much said outright when they called him up what their intent was. All we can do is hope he changes their minds on that front.

7 minutes ago, nlm said:

...they pretty much said outright when they called him up what their intent was. All we can do is hope he changes their minds on that front.

yeah, but we didnt believe them.  We read into it that it wouldnt be nice for them to say that Walker has been bad so Cron is coming up to take him place.

It's unusual for a team to bring up a guy hitting like he was just to pinch hit and play sporadically but I guess they do have a decent chance at the wild card.

He hit the ball hard his one start - 1/4 but really his shot in the first was a hit most times. Pillar made a diving catch.  Lets hope he starts tomorrow.

4 games up 3 pinch hit opportunities and 1 start. Maybe they feel since he is older he can adapt to a bench role but he is still a rookie. Either play him daily or demote him. Cron and Walker are following the current trend of DH types in the NL. The handwriting on the wall is next year the NL will have a DH. Or maybe 1 of them will be used as trade bait to an AL club who needs a DH/1B type this year.

He should DH next weekend (June 7-9) when the D'Backs face the Blue Jays in Toronto. Until then, hopefully he can look make use of his at-bats and find a full-time role with a good showing that series.