NBC Sports Edge Forums

Just now, nlm said:

Well if that doesn't spell out drop... ehh I'll ride it a few more days, but I am starting to think the DBacks just don't view Cron very highly.

They protected him in the Rule 5 draft, so there must be something they like. But the way hes being used makes it hard to tell what that is. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was expected. There are only so many days of Walker pulling 0fers before they give Cron a shot. I'm riding it out for a bit.

I guess my response to this would be...why bring him up in the midst of Walker's struggle if you're just going to use him as a PHer? Wouldn't it make sense to use someone else to PH and leave Cron in

Seriously? I'm just having a conversation, and you want to be a jackwagon about it. How in the world is it not a serious question to wonder why you bring up a guy tearing up AAA to sit him on the benc

1 minute ago, dzemens said:

They protected him in the Rule 5 draft, so there must be something they like. But the way hes being used makes it hard to tell what that is. 

The age thing could be something...maybe at 26 they don't view him as a future regular. But then again, Christian walker is what, 28? The whole situation just makes no sense.

1 hour ago, idkwhatimdoing556 said:

lmao what the f--- is this. he got a couple of hits yesterday night which is more than what christian "0-4" walker has done. why is he sitting again? 

BOOM! Walker HR! 

1 hour ago, axiom20XX said:

D-Backs announcers talking about how Walker is "the Diamondbacks 1st baseman" and Lovullo never considered starting Cron even after yesterday. Said he would've had to go 4-4 with 2 homers to consider.

what a ****show.

Did they say that after a conversation with Lovullo/inside info or were they just trying to get in his head/reason what he may be thinking?

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
4 hours ago, dzemens said:

2018 D' Backs AAA

Walker 18 HRs  24% K, 7.2 BB%, .354 OBP,  .392 wOBA  135 RC+

Cron  22 HRs  22% K, 8.2 BB%, .368 OBP, .395 wOBA  137 RC+

Its more what makes you think Cron is a significantly better hitter? That it demands Walker immediately get usurp him so quickly and not give Walker a little time before moving on from him and see what they got in Cron.  

One guy got the benefit of repeating AAA with a juiced ball and the Other got really hot in the MAJORS in April. Then ask why they are not immediately giving up on the guy who showed flashes in the Majors over a guy in AAA that he was near equal last year?

I've maintained the opinion that Walker does not have what it takes because the holes in his swing are far too great. So I think his time will be up shortly..but I'm not surprised they are giving Walker one last swan song with the knowledge that his job is gone if he doesn't get himself out his slump very soon.

1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

2018 D' Backs AAA

Walker 18 HRs  24% K, 7.2 BB%, .354 OBP,  .392 wOBA  135 RC+

Cron  22 HRs  22% K, 8.2 BB%, .368 OBP, .395 wOBA  137 RC+

Its more what makes you think Cron is a significantly better hitter? That it demands Walker immediately get usurp him so quickly and not give Walker a little time before moving on from him and see what they got in Cron.  

One guy got the benefit of repeating AAA with a juiced ball and the Other got really hot in the MAJORS in April. Then ask why they are not immediately giving up on the guy who showed flashes in the Majors over a guy in AAA that he was near equal last year?

I've maintained the opinion that Walker does not have what it takes because the holes in his swing are far too great. So I think his time will be up shortly..but I'm not surprised they are giving Walker one last swan song with the knowledge that his job is gone if he doesn't get himself out his slump very soon.

I guess my response to this would be...why bring him up in the midst of Walker's struggle if you're just going to use him as a PHer? Wouldn't it make sense to use someone else to PH and leave Cron in AAA to keep playing everyday? I think it's as much Walker's ineptitude in May as it is the timing of Cron's call-up. And you know as well as the rest of us that producing similar AAA numbers doesn't mean hitters will produce similar numbers in the Majors. Cron could very well blow up in the Majors this year just as he has in AAA...or he could suck. He could be the same as Walker or he could be better or he could be worse. 

So again, why bring up Cron at all? If Walker is your guy, then call up someone else or find another PH and leave Cron in AAA, playing everyday. Would anyone argue that his sitting on the bench in Arizona is more beneficial than playing in AAA? And when a journeyman with zero previous success in the Majors is scuffling and struggling after producing for one month, why the loyalty to him? 

• Like 5

They probably feel like neither Walker nor Cron is the long term solution at 1B. Why would they be all that the concerned with the development of a 26 year old rookie who had to repeat both AA and AAA? 

2 minutes ago, cs3 said:

They probably feel like neither Walker nor Cron is the long term solution at 1B. Why would they be all that the concerned with the development of a 26 year old rookie who had to repeat both AA and AAA? 

I get the feeling they're just biding their time until Lamb returns. 

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I get the feeling they're just biding their time until Lamb returns. 

If thats the case the Diamondbacks dont have a right decision here, they've got a whole plateful of maybe a little less wrong.

10 hours ago, cs3 said:

Because they have them for super cheap.  1st base production isn't worth paying for in free agency mostly.  The idea of "1b of the future" for a team is generally silly.  Less than 1/3 of the teams have a franchise 1b.  Luke Voit is one of the best 1b in baseball and was a nobody last year. There's no reason Cron can't be their 1b for the next 2-3 or even 4-5 years.  Going to pass on that why?  In the hopes you find a 21 year old that you can have for 7 years?  It's actually great to have a 1b come up in your system at 25/6. If they are decent, you have many good prime  years for super cheap. Spend money on pitching holes.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I guess my response to this would be...why bring him up in the midst of Walker's struggle if you're just going to use him as a PHer? Wouldn't it make sense to use someone else to PH and leave Cron in AAA to keep playing everyday? I think it's as much Walker's ineptitude in May as it is the timing of Cron's call-up. And you know as well as the rest of us that producing similar AAA numbers doesn't mean hitters will produce similar numbers in the Majors. Cron could very well blow up in the Majors this year just as he has in AAA...or he could suck. He could be the same as Walker or he could be better or he could be worse. 

So again, why bring up Cron at all? If Walker is your guy, then call up someone else or find another PH and leave Cron in AAA, playing everyday. Would anyone argue that his sitting on the bench in Arizona is more beneficial than playing in AAA? And when a journeyman with zero previous success in the Majors is scuffling and struggling after producing for one month, why the loyalty to him? 

Why bring up a guy that is red hot in AAA with NOTHING left to prove in Majors? Is this a serious question.

You do understand that when someone gets call the the majors. They get paid on a MLB salary rate right? That even though MLB pre-arb salaries are cheap in comparisons to what vets make. Its still FAR FAR FAR more than a MILB salary.

Anyone like Cron would rather play a part time role in the majors then a full time job in AAA. While the MLB club would also rather have more viable depth on their MLB roster. Its mutually beneficial for an NL team who needs viabe hitters for depth.

How is this even a question. Honestly. He's already 26..

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Because they have them for super cheap.  1st base production isn't worth paying for in free agency mostly.  The idea of "1b of the future" for a team is generally silly.  Less than 1/3 of the teams have a franchise 1b.  Luke Voit is one of the best 1b in baseball and was a nobody last year. There's no reason Cron can't be their 1b for the next 2-3 or even 4-5 years.  Going to pass on that why?  In the hopes you find a 21 year old that you can have for 7 years?  It's actually great to have a 1b come up in your system at 25/6. If they are decent, you have many good prime  years for super cheap. Spend money on pitching holes.

You can say the exact same thing about Walker. The point was that people are whining and crying about playing time because it hurts their fantasy team, and are trying to make arguments like "he needs to play everyday" as justification.

But in reality, for the real MLB team, he doesn't need to play everyday. He's had 5 years to develop in the minors and with no defensive or base running value he is apparently not someone the team feels must play. Maybe later on down the line (next month, next year?) he'll show that he's vastly superior to any other 1B option they have, but right now it doesn't seem like they feel that way.

1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

Why bring up a guy that is red hot in AAA with NOTHING left to prove in Majors? Is this a serious question.

You do understand that when someone gets call the the majors. They get paid on a MLB salary rate right? That even though MLB pre-arb salaries are cheap in comparisons to what vets make. Its still FAR FAR FAR more than a MILB salary.

Anyone like Cron would rather play a part time role in the majors then a full time job in AAA. While the MLB club would also rather have more viable depth on their MLB roster. Its mutually beneficial for an NL team who needs viabe hitters for depth.

How is this even a question. Honestly. He's already 26..

Seriously? I'm just having a conversation, and you want to be a jackwagon about it. How in the world is it not a serious question to wonder why you bring up a guy tearing up AAA to sit him on the bench in the Majors? Your suggestion that they want to give Walker more time suck makes far less sense. Did you even type that with a straight face? Yeah, let's give the journeyman with zero MLB success outside of April more starts to keep getting out and call up our hottest minor leaguer...and then let's just sit that minor leaguer on the bench everyday because, I mean, who cares about his development at age 26...and we'll give the one guy with one month of success under his belt most of the starts instead of seeing if the new guy can actually hit the ball and help us win ball games.  

See, I can be an a**, too. Now if you want to have a real conversation without the insults, let me know, because I'd much rather do that. I'd much rather have a nice conversation making points back and forth to try to come to an understanding of our positions (if not an agreement). If you'd rather keep posting the above, then just move along. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, cs3 said:

You can say the exact same thing about Walker. The point was that people are whining and crying about playing time because it hurts their fantasy team, and are trying to make arguments like "he needs to play everyday" as justification.

But in reality, for the real MLB team, he doesn't need to play everyday. He's had 5 years to develop in the minors and with no defensive or base running value he is apparently not someone the team feels must play. Maybe later on down the line (next month, next year?) he'll show that he's vastly superior to any other 1B option they have, but right now it doesn't seem like they feel that way.

so why don't they send him back down?  Why bring him up in the first place to sit on bench?  He was mashing in AAA - why not let him keep mashing there?

17 minutes ago, cs3 said:

If I came across as whining and crying, it wasn't intentional. In one league, I don't need Cron...I picked him up just in case he turns into something. In my other league, it's a 5-year keeper league, so I'm just riding him out to see what happens this year and to see if he gains any traction as a starting 1B. I don't "need" him in either league, so it's not hurting my teams. 

I guess I look at the situation and see Cron being blocked by a guy who can't buy a hit in May. Now Walker had a very good April, and maybe he'll bounce back after May is over. Or maybe he just turned into a pumpkin. But he's been bad enough that it would seem to make sense to me to sit Walker for a few games and give the guy on a heater a chance to make hay in the Majors. Walker is only hurting the team, so why not see if Cron can produce and help the team? Gives Walker a chance to clear his head and maybe reset and give the AAA heat a chance to produce. If it doesn't work out, you put Walker back in the lineup. Just my perspective :)

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, cs3 said:

I think they need to figure out who is better between Walker and Cron, and play that guy every day.  Walker debuted in 2014, we've seen what he can do. He's having his best year in the majors this year, but he's been not so great over the last month. Cron's AAA this year (even adjusted for the new ball) is better than Walker has ever done, and Cron put up very solid numbers last year in AAA and the year before in AA.    I get the whole "he needs to play every day" is whiny from fantasy owners on here. I agree with you people are only complaining about playing time because of fantasy. I picked up Cron last week in FAAB because it was the first week I could (since my draft in this league). I fully expect playing time issues for a while. I like his chances to succeed and play every day eventually this year, I think within a month. It won't be smooth and Walker could complicate things, but I believe more in the upside of unknown Cron vs Walker.  

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

If I came across as whining and crying, it wasn't intentional. In one league, I don't need Cron...I picked him up just in case he turns into something. In my other league, it's a 5-year keeper league, so I'm just riding him out to see what happens this year and to see if he gains any traction as a starting 1B. I don't "need" him in either league, so it's not hurting my teams. 

I guess I look at the situation and see Cron being blocked by a guy who can't buy a hit in May. Now Walker had a very good April, and maybe he'll bounce back after May is over. Or maybe he just turned into a pumpkin. But he's been bad enough that it would seem to make sense to me to sit Walker for a few games and give the guy on a heater a chance to make hay in the Majors. Walker is only hurting the team, so why not see if Cron can produce and help the team? Gives Walker a chance to clear his head and maybe reset and give the AAA heat a chance to produce. If it doesn't work out, you put Walker back in the lineup. Just my perspective :)

I wasn't referring to you specifically, more the general tone of this thread the past few days. You're one of the top posters on this site (same goes for Brock) and I'd never consider either one of you guys a whiner or crier, even when I disagree with your position. 

Believe me, I wish Cron was playing every inning of every game. It would def make my fantasy life much easier lol

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

It won't be smooth and Walker could complicate things, but I believe more in the upside of unknown Cron vs Walker

Agree on both points. 

15 minutes ago, erik vulaj said:

Drop city. Enjoy your continued losing season diamondbacks. Once a s--- franchise always a s--- franchise 

😂 ... So let me get this straight... They call up this dude, he can't run for 💩, can't field for 💩, and in his abbreviated stint he shows absolutely ZERO plate discipline, hacks at EVERYTHING (74% swing rate, swung at 55% of balls)... Swung at the first pitch 78%... And because they send that back down they are bad/wrong?

• Haha 1