NBC Sports Edge Forums

32 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

😂 ... So let me get this straight... They call up this dude, he can't run for 💩, can't field for 💩, and in his abbreviated stint he shows absolutely ZERO plate discipline, hacks at EVERYTHING (74% swing rate, swung at 55% of balls)... Swung at the first pitch 78%... And because they send that back down they are bad/wrong?

No because they never gave him a chance. I've seen many intriguing batters get called up and sent down. But they were all given a legit chance. They called up a hot batter, didn't give him a chance to prove his legitimacy, and sent him back down.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was expected. There are only so many days of Walker pulling 0fers before they give Cron a shot. I'm riding it out for a bit.

I guess my response to this would be...why bring him up in the midst of Walker's struggle if you're just going to use him as a PHer? Wouldn't it make sense to use someone else to PH and leave Cron in

Seriously? I'm just having a conversation, and you want to be a jackwagon about it. How in the world is it not a serious question to wonder why you bring up a guy tearing up AAA to sit him on the benc

16 minutes ago, erik vulaj said:

Drop city. Enjoy your continued losing season diamondbacks. Once a s--- franchise always a s--- franchise 

From being an expansion team in 1998 to being just under .500 after 21 seasons.  12 of 21 seasons .500 or over. 6 playoffs appearances, 1 world series championship. I'd say they've been anything but a s---y franchise.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

No because they never gave him a chance. I've seen many intriguing batters get called up and sent down. But they were all given a legit chance. They called up a hot batter, didn't give him a chance to prove his legitimacy, and sent him back down.

So he can't field, can't run... And the one thing he can do (hit) he showed in limited time he was over his head hacking at literally everything... I get he didn't get a few weeks but he was such a disaster it's not that hard to say, you need to fix this work on it and see you this summer.

8 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

So he can't field, can't run... And the one thing he can do (hit) he showed in limited time he was over his head hacking at literally everything... I get he didn't get a few weeks but he was such a disaster it's not that hard to say, you need to fix this work on it and see you this summer.

Again he didn't get a chance to show how he can hit. He appeared for 8 games, was pinch hitting in 6 of them. That's not a chance at all. Sample size is wayyy too small to even look at his stats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

While what you say isn’t incorrect, if you get called up and are asked to prove yourself pinch hit at a time, is there a chance you’re going to be more aggressive and hack at everything, trying to make something happen and prove you belong? 

This is part of the equation re: not giving him a chance. I’m not proclaiming he’s better. But at this point, no one knows (including his team) when that’s the situation he’s put in. See teams like the Braves and Brewers, who called guys up and let them have a couple weeks to see what they are. Hiura, for example, has been given a fair evaluation at the Major League level. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, terminator10 said:

Again he didn't get a chance to show how he can hit. He appeared for 8 games, was pinch hitting in 6 of them. That's not a chance at all. Sample size is wayyy too small to even look at his stats.

Dumpster fire in 14 PAs flailing at everything... Sometimes you don't need a month to know a guy is out of his league... and considering he is a liability in the field and on the bases there's zero real life baseball reason to trot the guy out there.

Arizona is 1 game under 500 and they are trying to win baseball games, not satisfy fantasy teams or sacrifice team success to give a guy over his head an extended run at the expense of the team.

He'll be back up when they are out of the race and further back.

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Dumpster fire in 14 PAs flailing at everything... Sometimes you don't need a month to know a guy is out of his league... and considering he is a liability in the field and on the bases there's zero real life baseball reason to trot the guy out there.

Arizona is 1 game under 500 and they are trying to win baseball games, not satisfy fantasy teams or sacrifice team success to give a guy over his head an extended run at the expense of the team.

So in his two starts he was 3 for 8 all 3 doubles... but his 6 pinch hit appearances he was 0 for 6 and flailing and you are convinced that's the batter he is? You like stats... let's just assume he's more comfortable starting than he is pinch hitting as they suggest....

• Like 2

But don't you think that his approach to PH PAs was vastly different from what his day-to-day approach would have been if he had been starting? I tend to think so. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

But don't you think that his approach to PH PAs was vastly different from what his day-to-day approach would have been if he had been starting? I tend to think so. 

No. You dont go from beimg complete garbage swinging and missing at trash, out of your league... To being a respectable major leaguer just because you're not pinch hitting.

Again he is a liability in all other aspects of the game too. He brought zero value to the team. The diamondbacks don't care for your fantasy teams, you need to plan fantasy around real life -- not the other way

Edited by StevieStats
1 hour ago, hard1 said:

So in his two starts he was 3 for 8 all 3 doubles... but his 6 pinch hit appearances he was 0 for 6 and flailing and you are convinced that's the batter he is? You like stats... let's just assume he's more comfortable starting than he is pinch hitting as they suggest....

Youcan assume that but he was still hacking at everything with zero discipline. You factor that with the fact he hurts them in every other aspect it's easy to send him back down with a roster crunch. They can't start him daily because of how bad he is in other aspects of the game. Hes a DH.

I think he looked fine, given that bleak situation he found himself in. I still can’t figure out why they called him up at all, but it has to be some combination of a) it was disrespectful to leave a guy hitting that well in the minors, b) his dad is AAA manager, c) they were intentionally using him to light a fire under Walker. 

Edited by exaulz
5 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Lol some really militant anti Cron people in this thread post demotion

Im not anti-Cron, i actually like his hitting potential. But the outrage over his demotion as if hes been wronged is ridiculous. You still need to be realistic over his playing time prospects on an NL team that's hovering around 500 considering his shortcomings... We are talking about a guy that couldn't even crack baseball America's top 30 in the Arizona system 😄

Im not anti-Cron, i actually like his hitting potential. But the outrage over his demotion as if hes been wronged is ridiculous. You still need to be realistic over his playing time prospects on an NL team that's hovering around 500 considering his shortcomings... We are talking about a guy that couldn't even crack baseball America's top 30 in the Arizona system 😄

I don’t disagree that Arizona is trying to win this year, and it’s a little respectable that they actually meant what they said in cron coming up as just a pinch hitter with an occasional start. Hell, if nothing else it seemed to have motivated Walker to start hitting the past two games with his job possibly in jeopardy. But come on dude, you cant honestly believe that coming off cold from the bench to pinch hit is the same thing as getting regular starts to get into a rhythm. Cron was mashing at AAA and there was zero incentive to bring him up in that role. Does nothing but cool off a red hot guy in your own organization. Maybe all they cared about was getting Walker going again, but it was certainly a waste of Cron’s usage by doing it. Whether he’s slotted better as a DH or not, his bat has some boom and he was crushing balls in both of his starts. It’s not unreasonable at all to think he could be a productive player if given regular opportunities, but AZ obviously wasn’t looking to do that, no matter how well he hit. I just think it’s a very poor characterization by you to say he’s trash and that he didn’t show anything during his short stint when it’s clear to most reasonable people on here that he wasn’t given a fair shot to show what he can do with more playing time. Maybe he’ll get another chance this year with the big league club, but they certainly blew it if they were looking for the right time to get him some ABs. He’s not gonna be hotter than he was on the next stint so they better hope Walker is who they really want and that the April version is what they get more of from him going forward now and not the horrendous version he was in May.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

I don’t disagree that Arizona is trying to win this year, and it’s a little respectable that they actually meant what they said in cron coming up as just a pinch hitter with an occasional start. Hell, if nothing else it seemed to have motivated Walker to start hitting the past two games with his job possibly in jeopardy. But come on dude, you cant honestly believe that coming off cold from the bench to pinch hit is the same thing as getting regular starts to get into a rhythm. Cron was mashing at AAA and there was zero incentive to bring him up in that role. Does nothing but cool off a red hot guy in your own organization. Maybe all they cared about was getting Walker going again, but it was certainly a waste of Cron’s usage by doing it. Whether he’s slotted better as a DH or not, his bat has some boom and he was crushing balls in both of his starts. It’s not unreasonable at all to think he could be a productive player if given regular opportunities, but AZ obviously wasn’t looking to do that, no matter how well he hit. I just think it’s a very poor characterization by you to say he’s trash and that he didn’t show anything during his short stint when it’s clear to most reasonable people on here that he wasn’t given a fair shot to show what he can do with more playing time. Maybe he’ll get another chance this year with the big league club, but they certainly blew it if they were looking for the right time to get him some ABs. He’s not gonna be hotter than he was on the next stint so they better hope Walker is who they really want and that the April version is what they get more of from him going forward now and not the horrendous version he was in May.

I think you are missing the point. I'm not saying he can't be a successful MLB hitter, and I'm not asking him to be even productive in that brief appearance. What I'm saying is based on him as a player, what he brings to the table, and how incredibly out of his league he was at the plate, his demotion is not some crazy unwarranted thing.

Again, I'm not looking at productivity, I'm looking at what a mess he was with his approach but starting and PH, the dude just hacked at everything with zero approach. Your approach as a professional hitter does not go to beer league softball hacker status just because you PH or have a spot start.

He can be good, and he'll be back up in the summer when Arizona falls to the back of the pass and can sacrifice attempting to win to get guys ABs and develop.

19 hours ago, StevieStats said:

No. You dont go from beimg complete garbage swinging and missing at trash, out of your league... To being a respectable major leaguer just because you're not pinch hitting.

Again he is a liability in all other aspects of the game too. He brought zero value to the team. The diamondbacks don't care for your fantasy teams, you need to plan fantasy around real life -- not the other way

Pinch hitting/off the bench bat is the WORST way to break a rookie into the majors.  The absolute worst.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

Pinch hitting/off the bench bat is the WORST way to break a rookie into the majors.  The absolute worst.

I'm not going to disagree with that, but it doesn't really matter... He's such a liability in other aspects that he's not going to get a full run until they are out of contention... This is the whole point, people need to reset their expectations of playing time with him. He's on a national league team guys, him being shown the back seat or sent down (now back up) isn't him getting screwed, it's a reflection of him as a limited player, his atrocious approach in his brief opportunity is only going to make the issue worse. 

Hes got power potential for sure, but it's one beck of an uphill battle to get playing time because of how limited he is as a player.

Set your expectations appropriately.

4 hours ago, idkwhatimdoing556 said:

lmao is he back to pinch hit again? 

Looks like they sent him down to work on his pinch hitting approach. Came in tonight and got a PH hit and scored the game winning run. Well worth the demotion lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3