NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zach Zenner 2019 Outlook

Goal of the thread: To convince you, at the minimum to add him to your watch list, and at the maximum, take him in the last round of your fantasy draft. 

giphy.gif

Let's start out with the measurables and how he stacks up against the 2019 RB class:

Zach Zenner

Height: 5'11

Weight: 223

40 yard dash - 15th out of all RB (4.6)  (Though his numbers are pretty close to guys who are 220+, other than Armstead who was the only guy outside a couple hundrenths of him).
Bench: 4th out of all RB  (25)
Vertical: 1st out of all RB  (41)
Broad: 8th (tied) out of all RB (10 feet 1 inch)
20 yard shuttle: 2nd out of all RB pro day would put him 7th 4.14 (combine) 4.3 (pro day)
3-cone Drill: 1st out of all RB, combine would put him 7th 7.08 (combine) 6.88 (pro day)  
60 yard shuttle run: 1st (tied) out of all RB  11.69  (he also had a bad slip in this!)  (most players don't do this activity)

He has very good measurables, and at his size, they really stand out.   Moving on, to give you an idea of how he looks player vs player, I will do the top picks from this year's draft.

Bold indicates the player performed better in that category than Zenner.  If there is no bold, Zenner did better in that category.  I will use Zenner's best number, which only changes the 3-cone drill score.  I did not research any of the other players pro days, so if they did better feel free to inform me.  If they didn't do the activity, it is blank.

Zach Zenner

Height: 5'11

Weight: 223

40 time: 4.60

Bench: 25

Vertical: 41

Broad: 10 feet 1 inch

3-cone Drill: 7.08 (combine) 6.88 (pro day)

20 yard shuttle: 4.14 (combine) 4.3 (pro day)

Josh Jacobs (no combine, ran 4.6 40 at pro day)

Miles Sanders

Height: 5-11

Weight: 211

40 time: 4.49

Bench20

Vertical: 36

Broad:  10 feet 4 inches

3-cone Drill:  6.89

20 yard shuttle: 4.19

Darrell Henderson

Height: 5-8

Weight: 208

40 time: 4.49

Bench22

Vertical: 33.5

Broad: 10 feet 1 inch (tie)

3-cone Drill:

20 yard shuttle:

David Montgomery

Height: 5-10

Weight: 222

40 time: 4.63

Bench15

Vertical: 28.5

3-cone Drill:

20 yard shuttle:

Devin Singletary

Height: 5-7

Weight: 203

40 time: 4.66

Bench15

Vertical: 35

Broad:  9 feet, 9 inches

3-cone Drill:  7.32

20 yard shuttle: 4.4

Damien Harris

Weight: 216

40 time: 4.57

Bench16

Vertical: 37

3-cone Drill: 

20 yard shuttle:

Alex Mattison

Height: 5-11

Weight: 221

40 time: 4.67

Bench22

Vertical: 35

Broad: 10 feet 7 inches

3-cone Drill:  7.13

20 yard shuttle: 4.29

Bryce Love - Only did bench at combine 18 reps

Justice Hill

Weight: 198

40 time: 4.4

Bench21

Vertical: 40

Broad: 10 feet 10 inches

3-cone Drill: 

20 yard shuttle:

Benny Snell

Weight: 224

40 time: 4.66

Bench16

Vertical: 29.5

Broad: 9 feet 11 inches

3-cone Drill:  7.07

20 yard shuttle: 4.33

Still with me? 

giphy.gif

I know the next thing you will mention, "he is a small school guy, that is the reason he was a UDFA."  Understandable, but many "small school" guys have been drafted with worse measurables and even less college production.   He had impressive numbers at the combine and couldn't get any traction.  I'm still not sure why that was the case.  Moving on, I also want to point out that a lot of people don't realize how he is built.  Watch the first 30 or so seconds of his pro day.  The guy is built wide.  He doesn't look it on the field. 

Let's go on to his college production, but first, let's take a breather.

giphy.gif

Moving on, collegiate production:

In college, he was a monster.  Yes, he did not play at the highest level, but he dominated the level he played at.  When he did play against the top level, he beat up on them too.  Yes, they may not have been the Alabama defense, but he at least proved he can beat up on on FBS talent.  Hopefully the formatting works correctly.

Career Rushing/Receiving Stats

Year Team G Rush Yds Yd/Rush TDs Rec Yds Yd/Rec TDs
2011 SDkSt  11 107 470 4.4 3 18 130 7.2 2
2012 SDkSt  13 300 2044 6.8 13 28 197 7.0 0
2013 SDkSt  14 351 2015 5.7 23 21 251 12.0 2
2014 SDkSt  14 337 2019 6.0 22 28 331 11.8 4
Career   52 1095 6548 6.0 61 95 909 9.6 8

As you can see he was a workhorse in college.  Very much a one cut and go type player.  One thing I enjoy about his style of running is that he finds a hole and bursts through it.  He is faster than people give him credit for (might be one of those track speed vs pad speed and his has next to no drop off it) and does enough with it to punish defenses.  He also does not try to run over a lot of guys, which, should lead to some longevity in the NFL.  He breaks arm tackles and protects the ball well, but doesn't try to kill himself taking on linebackers and run them over.  He beats up on smaller secondary guys, and avoids guys bigger than him.  He also does a good job of not getting hit squarely and absorbing contact.  He gets yardage and typically doesn't take a loss.  He has enough speed to get to the edge, but knows how to slice his way between the tackles.

Great long run here showing enough speed to get the job done.

And here he is, I believe with all of his touches vs Nebraska who were 9-4 that year: 

and this is a general highlight reel:

I know what you are thinking.  "College success doesn't mean NFL success."  Yes, yes, I know.  At least at this point you are admitting he was a pretty good college player. Why hasn't he succeeded on the Lions you ask?  Bad luck, no support, and some sort of coaching staff bias which may or may not be a complete conspiracy in my head.  Let's fire up the timeline!

2015 Season

Zenner is a UDFA, walks on the team.  Has impressive preseason and manages to make the roster.  He manages to push Abdullah to the point where he is named starter (but still sharing carries) by game 5 of his rookie year.  Then, just as he is being given the reins from Abdullah, a tough luck hit happens.  Guy carries over 700 times in college, and gets tripped awkwardly and can't absorb an upcoming hit.  Has his lung collapse and is out for the reason.  It should also be noted, Joe Lombardi, the OC, was fired a few weeks later.  This is important in that it seems since then it has been an uphill battle.  Just remember, Zenner was pushing a timeshare with Abdullah within the first month of his rookie year.

With Joique Bell dealing with an ankle injury and being ineffective on offense, there’s a chance rookie running back Zach Zenner could have a bigger role in the Lions’ offense Monday night. And if that happens, offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi has total faith in Zenner, the team’s preseason darling.

“If you guys knew him, you would know he’s ready,” Lombardi said Friday. “He’s going to be just fine, whatever’s asked of him.
“If all our running backs wake up on Sunday with the flu, Zach Zenner could do it all.”

2016 Season

Zenner has recovered from injury and is battling again in preseason to not get cut.  Team brings in Ridley and drafts Washington (how/why Washington was drafted is beyond me based on his college resume).  Zenner, once again survives the camp battles and makes the roster.  This is where things begin to get strange.  Washington supplants Zenner, despite his lack of rushing pedigree, AND the fact that he came to camp very late.  Yet, the coaching staff gushed all over Washington.  (This isn't a bash on Washington who is not a good player, but confusion as to why the coaching staff fell in love with him). 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/08/25/detroit-lions-running-backs/89355678/

“I’ve been impressed with some of the things he’s done," offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter said earlier this week. "When the guy gets the ball, he does impressive things. That’s a good trait to have. We’re still evaluating him. He’s a young guy. You know, because of the NFL rules, he got here pretty late from (the University of) Washington. That’s the graduation rules and all that stuff, and the OTAs, but he’s doing some impressive things.”

"He’s strong, he’s powerful, he gets his shoulders squared, he can make you miss," Lions coach Jim Caldwell said. "I think the two-point play on the goal line (that he converted this preseason) kind of gave you an idea -- where the linebacker was unblocked, he sidestepped him and got it in the end zone. So he’s got some talent. I think you’ll just continue to see him get better and better as he understands what to do on every single play in great detail."

They immediately let him play the first month, giving him touches and leaving Zenner on the bench. Then injuries mount and they have to turn to Zenner mid-season, but first, they add Justin Forsett and let him have a go. What?  When?  Yes, that happened, we gave him 5 carries against the Rams, and 8 against the Redskins before he was cut and headed to Denver. Zenner gets two starts, one against the Rams which he does well in.  They use him to run out the clock and is successful in doing that.  The second is poor, against the Redskins, but not awful.  Once Washington is healthy (and he will be constantly banged up over the next two seasons), he immediately takes over for Zenner.  Week 16 rolls around and the Lions are starting to give up (FINALLY!) on Washington.  Zenner is surprisingly announced as the starter against Dallas right at game time, and he does not disappoint.  He destroys the Cowboys right out of the gate.  Rushing all over them.  The game tied 21-21 at half, Zenner seems poised to get to 100 yards!  Then.....they stop.  Even the announcers were confused. Watch the highlights and look at the in-game time. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000764512/article/why-did-lions-abandon-zach-zenner-in-second-half

For as innovative as the Lions offense has been this season, many are wondering if they simply turned away from the running game too soon in Monday night's 42-21 loss to the Dallas Cowboys. Lions running back Zach Zenner had 10 carries for 64 yards (long of 20) and two touchdowns in the first half. The Lions went into the break tied with the Cowboys, 21-21. In a rare display, they edged Dallas in time of possession by half a minute. At the final whistle, Zenner had 12 carries for 67 yards and two touchdowns. Dwayne Washington got six more carries and logged 22 yards. "Things change," head coach Jim Caldwell told reporters after the game. "Things change in terms of what we're looking at. We have an offense that adjusts to what we see and sometimes it's a little bit more pass than run."

More pass than run, yet Washington still got a 3:1 ratio of 2nd half carries.  :blink:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2016/12/quick_observations_lions_cowbo.html

Quick observations: Why did the Lions go away from Zach Zenner?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/who-is-zach-zenner-and-how-is-he-tearing-up-the-cowboys-defense/

After his second quarter touchdown that put the Lions up 21-14, though, Zenner had nine carries for 62 yards and two scores. And that's against the NFL's No. 1 run defense in yards allowed per game and No. 6 by rushing defense DVOA. He also added two catches for 25 additional yards to that point.

What happens when they ask the OC, Jim Bob Cooter about it during the week?

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/12/29/zach-zenner-detroit-lions/95970322/

"I don’t think you can play a guy 70 snaps at running back," Cooter said. "So we were going to mix and match guys, guys were going to play different amounts of reps. I think Zenner probably got more reps in the first half. It’s not a sustainable strategy to play one guy every single snap at running back, in my opinion. So we weren’t going to do that."

Yet, they had him out there on special teams! "You can't play all those RB snaps, go play some ST for us instead!  I know you carried 300+ times 3 times in college, but this is the NFL and you can't even deal with these snaps, let alone carries!":rolleyes:

The following week, guess what happens?  He gives Zenner practically all the snaps. 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/01/04/detroit-lions-zach-zenner/96157222/

In Sunday's loss to the Green Bay Packers, Zenner played 64 of a possible 66 snaps and was the only running back to see time on offense. He ran for a career-high 69 yards and had another 41 yards receiving. Cooter joked that 64 snaps is "not even close to 70," before acknowledging, "I made a mistake." "Zenner’s in phenomenal shape," Cooter said. "As the game wore on, kind of felt like he could keep going and felt like it made sense for us to do that, hopefully kind of adjusting to a stance I made earlier in the week. So obviously my lack of playing competitive NFL running back hurt me there from a knowledge base, but he’s in good shape and he held up well I thought, so who knows what could happen in the future. I’ll keep it open-ended."

The Lions lose in the playoff game against Seattle where Zenner seemed to be the only one who showed up to play.

2017 Season

Coming off his end of season performance, people expected him to get more PT.  Lions bring in Mike James and Asiata, and Zenner beats them out.  Heading into the season it seems he is ready to finally work his way into the rotation.  Was the hottest RB at the end of the year, led the team in rushing TD, looked like the most impressive RB and possibly battle for a timeshare.  Instead, he starts the season a healthy inactive.  In fact, the ONLY reason he gets activated is because Washington gets hurt again.  Zenner not only has never gotten more carries than Washington in a season, he received fewer carries last season than Tion Green, a guy who got 42 carries and Zenner only 14!  A guy, the Lions just cut after re-signing Zenner. In the bizarre coaches dog house he lived in, this stuff continued to where even the media called Caldwell out.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/09/21/detroit-lions-zach-zenner/689849001/

Why can't Zach Zenner get on the field for the Detroit Lions?  Zenner hasn't dressed for either of the Lions' first two games, wins over the Arizona Cardinals and New York Giants, which begs the question (to paraphrase an old Darryl Rogers line), what's a guy got to do to get carries around here? "Luckily, or however you want to look at it, maybe not luckily, it’s out of my control," Zenner said. "So I’m not going to concern myself with that, I’m just going to do what I would do anyways to prepare as if I were playing and just be ready whenever it’s my chance. Cause you can only make the most of the opportunities you’re given and I try to do that. And after that, you don’t have a say."

Asked about Zenner on Thursday, Lions coach Jim Caldwell said "a lot of different factors" go into gameday roster decisions, and that he hasn't lost faith in Zenner.

"It shouldn’t give you any indication of what we think about Zach," Caldwell said. "Zach can run the football, I’ve told you that I don’t know how many times. Check back in the records. Zach is capable, and if he gets an opportunity to do it this week, I think you’ll see him get it done. We believe in him. He’s a smart guy, makes very few mistakes and very well rounded."

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/10/30/caldwell-bickers-with-reporter-after-lions-loss-video/

Jim Caldwell was in no mood for debate following the Lions’ 20-15 loss to the Steelers on Sunday night. The main topic of conversation at his post-game press conference was Detroit’s poor execution in the red zone. One of the first questions was about Dwayne Washington, who ran four times inside the Steelers’ five-yard line for a total of six yards and zero touchdowns. A reporter asked why Washington — who was active for the first time since Week 2 — is the Lions’ power running back. “Because he can run with power,” said Caldwell. The reporter than asked why that duty isn’t handed to someone else. “I think I just answered your question,” said Caldwell.

2018 Season

The Lions new coach, Patricia, convinced him to sign back with the Lions; saying he has a role and they gave him more than the league minimum.  https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/3/16/17128958/detroit-lions-free-agency-re-sign-running-back-zach-zenner

Starts with a bang.  Guy gets bent over when the whistles blow for the play to end and the Browns keep going and push him downwards while he is on his knee.  Break his back.  Literally.

“It was pretty bad. I had two fractures,” Zenner said. “They’re not load-bearing bones, so certain movements it would grab me, but it wasn’t as bad as it sounds. If you’re going to break your back, that’s what you want to do.” In his rookie year, Zenner suffered an even more terrifying injury. He broke his ribs and punctured a lung in an injury he calls “way worse” than the broken back.

Guy keeps working to get back healthy the Lions decide the Abdullah experiment was over, Johnson was hurt, and Blount wasn't getting it done.  They bring him back and you know, actually give him a shot for once.  Instead of the usual, "bring in Zenner and let him try to get 1 yard in the jumbo package everyone can see coming" they let him get some run.  Zenner  averaged at least 4 YPC in every game he played last year.  The one game that stood out was against Arizona where they were stacking the box, and the Lions just kept handing it off to Zenner IIRC for 10 straight runs.  He clearly showed he has something at the NFL level and when given the opportunity, can do some impressive things.  He finished the year with 4.8 YPC.

Heading into last season I made this point, I've tacked on what his numbers look like after 2018:

Again, this sucks because we are stuck with such a small sample size, even I realize that.  It seems like the greater the workload, the better his performance.

In 10+ carry games in their careers

Abdullah - 234 carries, 853 yards, 3.65 YPC 3 TD  (17 of his 32 games played he had 10 or more carries)

Riddick - 78 carries, 281 yards, 3.60 YPC 2 TD   (7 of his 70 games played he had 10 or more carries)

Washington - 63 carries, 165 yards, 2.62 YPC, 0 TD (5 of his 17 games played he had 10 or more carries)

Zenner - 56 carries, 224 yards, 4.00 YPC 3 TD (4 out of his 28 games played he had 10 or more carries) 

Including 2018 stats - 99 carries, 417 yards, 4.21 YPC 6 TD (7 out of his 36 games played he had 10 or more carries)

Another stat, in his 55 carries last season, he had one for no gain (Arizona), and two carries that resulted in a loss (Buff & GB).   The other 52 were for positive yardage.

2019 Season

Maybe, just maybe, they will give him some run at RB that doesn't involve injuries, tarot cards, or an asteroid impact.  Zenner came back leaner than before the injury, and I wonder if that was a personal decision.  The team has always seemed to want him to bulk up but he isn't a Blount type of runner and he just loses some speed and explosiveness by doing it. Then of course the Lions went and signed CJ Anderson who seems like he would fill the same role as Zenner. Those he has beaten out for a roster spot over the years: 

giphy.gif

I haven't been running this hype train this long to just get off now.  

giphy.gif

Blount is toast.  Riddick is useless, overpaid, and should be cut or traded.  Johnson still doesn't wow me like he seems to other people.  Zenner will have to beat out CJ Anderson, but with a new OC and the way HC was last year, it seems like Zenner will be given a fair shake now that JBC and Caldwell are both gone. This is going to be his shot this season. Snag him before you take a kicker in the last couple rounds of your draft.

Whitesnake-Here-I-Go-Again-whitesnake-37

Whitesnake-Here-I-Go-Again-whitesnake-37

giphy.gif

BlVEQyB.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This much effort and not even a single like? Cmon now lol. I now know more about Zenner than I do about my own parents 

If the Giants sign Zenner, Saquon might be out of a job when he's healthy.  You heard it here first my friends.

Goal of the thread: To convince you, at the minimum to add him to your watch list, and at the maximum, take him in the last round of your fantasy draft.      Let's start out wit

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Goal of the thread: To convince you, at the minimum to add him to your watch list, and at the maximum, take him in the last round of your fantasy draft. 

giphy.gif

you painted a good argument last year... but i'm afraid dear sternes there will be no room for your protege zenner on my bench this season...

fool-me-once-strikeone-but-fool-me-twice

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

A 28 year old RB with more injuries than TDs? 685 yd in 4 seasons? 

giphy.gif

Damien Williams is a 27 year old RB with 733 yards in 5 seasons, and everyone has him as a top 15 RB, so maybe Zenner has a shot, lol.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Damien Williams is a 27 year old RB with 733 yards in 5 seasons, and everyone has him as a top 15 RB, so maybe Zenner has a shot, lol.

Oh, it's not impossible. It's just not very likely, and the potential upside seems limited. 

If you're in a 36-team 25 bench spot league, this guy is a must roster. But in my ordinary 12/14 team leagues, I don't have to scrape the barrel that much during the draft.

On the wire: maybe. But in May?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
17 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

Could you expand on what about Kerryon didn't wow you?

I will see if I can track it down.  Cliffnotes version is that he reminds me of a worse version of Kevin Smith.  He was the last RB on the Lions who got a raw deal with the Lions because Gym Shorts was too busying tugging it Jahvid marshallow brain Best videos.

17 hours ago, dashoe said:

at best he is a frustrating td vulture and I think cja is blocking his path. . . 😂

I think only one makes the roster, or if they both do, only one is active on gameday.  KJ, Riddick (though I wish he was gone), CJ or Zenner, and proabbly Ty Johnson on KR duties.

39 minutes ago, Sternes said:

I said back in 2015 that he was better than Abdullah and everyone else on the roster on that time.  Considering Abdullah got cut for him last year, I do feel vindicated in that regard.

you were 100% correct in that zenner is better than abdullah, so you do receive vindication / credit there.

so maybe this question is best for the Assistant Coach Thread,

but who do i take for a keeper, tyreek hill or zach zenner?

fe8172904313c46d9c669c07f2fc3bed.gif

9 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

What sho is this gif from?  Someone in my league uses it as their avatar

Image -> right mouse click -> google image -> "jizz in my pants" -> google search term -> video:

Also: eeew :$

21 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Image -> right mouse click -> google image -> "jizz in my pants" -> google search term -> video:

I have no idea how to do what you said.  

What does "Image" mean?  

When I right clicked on the image I didn't get a "google image" option.

Does everyone else's computers work better / do cooler stuff than mine?  

Hey @Sternes I will watch list this guy again in 2019 for you.  Didn't end up picking him up in 2018 though and my RBs were terrible though FYI.

3 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I have no idea how to do what you said.  

What does "Image" mean?  

When I right clicked on the image I didn't get a "google image" option.

1085746461_googleimage.png.a0a7a01e195de55a93e344949c098879.png

Never tried that? TBH it depends a bit on your browser. Chrome does it standard, Firefox needs a bit of help, IE hahahahaha.

9 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

1085746461_googleimage.png.a0a7a01e195de55a93e344949c098879.png

Never tried that? TBH it depends a bit on your browser. Chrome does it standard, Firefox needs a bit of help, IE hahahahaha.

I'm on Chrome.  I literally don't have "search Google for image" and now I'm pissed.  That'd be so useful.

I go from copy image address to inspect skipping over it.

Whatever.  I'll just send you images and have you do a little leg work for me in the future.  Private Eye Guy

• Haha 1
On 5/25/2019 at 3:29 PM, dashoe said:

at best he is a frustrating td vulture and I think cja is blocking his path. . . 😂

I agree with this post 100%.  With Kerryon and CJ as the early down backs and Theo Riddick as the 3rd down back, best case scenario for Zenner is being their goal-line back if those backs are healthy.

• Like 1
On 5/26/2019 at 11:16 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Hey @Sternes I will watch list this guy again in 2019 for you.  Didn't end up picking him up in 2018 though and my RBs were terrible though FYI.

He wasn't on the roster until Nov. 11th when they cut Ameer for him.  He was effective in December because he was getting touchdowns and some run.

I'd be happier with the situation if CJA wasn't signed.  Blount is toast.  Riddick is trash.  I don't think Kerryon Johnson is as good as people think.  He isn't bad but I see the same issues with him I always saw.  I was a big CJA guy while he was in Denver, thought he would be the GL guy in Carolina (ooooops!), and was surprised he got cut.  CJ is a a more successful, less athletic version of Zenner, and their skillsets overlap a lot.  Both need carries to get going, not just one at a time as a change of pace guy. 

We will see how camp shakes out.

At least he has med school afterwards 🤣

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/297649/meet-zach-zenner-the-nfl-player-who-scored-in-the-96th-percentile-on-the-mcat

• Like 2

I just love that this guy is real and not like, a fictional villain in a 90's college comedy that leads the fraternity that's trying to disrupt our protagonist who's just trying to have a good time.   

• Haha 2

On 5/25/2019 at 5:53 PM, dmb3684 said:

A 28 year old white RB that hasnt done anything in the league? 

In.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:26 AM, Sternes said:

Not sure what him being white has to do with it.  The age and production are the issues.

I said back in 2015 that he was better than Abdullah and everyone else on the roster on that time.  Considering Abdullah got cut for him last year, I do feel vindicated in that regard.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:47 PM, dmb3684 said:

Seriously? He plays RB in the NFL.

I hate 2019 so much.

Exactly, he plays RB in the NFL. That is all I care about.  I don't know why you bring up him being white every year.  You did the same thing last year.

On 5/25/2018 at 9:41 PM, dmb3684 said:

Just here to say nice job on the post.

It seems important to bring up the fact that he is white no? 

Zenner I didn't even know about until I reviewed combine numbers pre-draft.  Came away impressed and wondered who the heck was this guy.  Read some scouting reports that were very "meh" on him.  Figured he was a work out warrior and not a RB. I watched game tape and came away very impressed.  Ended up on Lions.   Dude actually impressed enough as a UDFA to make the roster in preseason. I of course at that point tied my horse to him; just like I did when Kevin Smith was there, and Gym Shorts was screwing him over with Best and LeShoure.

Again there are a number of reasons to think he won't do much this year, most of which I covered.  Playing time, once again buried on depth chart, who knows if he will make the roster even, and then will he even be active if he makes the team?  What does not seem to be an issue is measurables, talent, and performance when given carries. We will see how it all shakes out.

He is not in a situation like a Gillislee, or Damian Williams, but I find it weird how some guys always get flak no matter what they do.  Saw it with Lions fans with Kevin Smith getting crapped on, then when Best and LeShoure were added. Or bizarrely Aaron Brown being the fan favorite out of nowhere and saying he needed more run.  I still remember the talk of Abdullah making moves and the press saying they hadn't seen that since Barry Sanders.  AA got nothing but free passes to perform.  Dwayne Washington because the coaching staff wanted to rub their hands on his body got playing time.  Hell, they threw Justin Forsett out there in front of him off the street for a game.  If the Lions had given him 50-75 carries and he did nothing I'd be done.  Instead every time he gets run he seems to perform.  It is practically an annual tease at this point.

• Like 2