NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zach Zenner 2019 Outlook

34 minutes ago, Sternes said:

It is practically an annual tease at this point.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and your always amazing backstories complete with gifs. I can only hope your blogging, preferably for money.

Having said that, I also appreciate that sometimes you have some wild swings that end up in the bunker. But hey, at least (and I honestly mean that) they're always entertaining.

giphy.gif

Edit: with all that, I'll totally root for ZZ. 

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This much effort and not even a single like? Cmon now lol. I now know more about Zenner than I do about my own parents 

If the Giants sign Zenner, Saquon might be out of a job when he's healthy.  You heard it here first my friends.

Goal of the thread: To convince you, at the minimum to add him to your watch list, and at the maximum, take him in the last round of your fantasy draft.      Let's start out wit

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Sternes said:

He wasn't on the roster until Nov. 11th when they cut Ameer for him.  He was effective in December because he was getting touchdowns and some run.

I'd be happier with the situation if CJA wasn't signed.  Blount is toast.  Riddick is trash.  I don't think Kerryon Johnson is as good as people think.  He isn't bad but I see the same issues with him I always saw.  I was a big CJA guy while he was in Denver, thought he would be the GL guy in Carolina (ooooops!), and was surprised he got cut.  CJ is a a more successful, less athletic version of Zenner, and their skillsets overlap a lot.  Both need carries to get going, not just one at a time as a change of pace guy. 

We will see how camp shakes out.

At least he has med school afterwards 🤣

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/297649/meet-zach-zenner-the-nfl-player-who-scored-in-the-96th-percentile-on-the-mcat

I'm glad everyone knows Riddick is trash. He'll still see 300+ snaps and touch the ball over 100 x tho because that's what happened when you shouldn't be a coach and can't identify talent appropriately. 

About Dwayne Washington. I was there page 1 or 2 of his like 60 page thread a couple years back. Said the dude sucks and he just looks like he can play football, but I discourage anyone from taking the plunge. 

I was destroyed for about 20 pages until everyone went silent. 

Lions suck. Always have always will. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
7 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm and your always amazing backstories complete with gifs. I can only hope your blogging, preferably for money.

Having said that, I also appreciate that sometimes you have some wild swings that end up in the bunker. But hey, at least (and I honestly mean that) they're always entertaining.

giphy.gif

Edit: with all that, I'll totally root for ZZ. 

HAHA, a lot of it has to do with deep swings on guys with talent.  I was pushing guys like Mallex Smith back in 2016.  I take swings and misses on guys with talent who are being overlooked.  I don't rep guys for the sake of being repped, I believe in their talent or game film etc. (Not suggesting you arguing against me.)  Biggest thing with Zenner is that every time he has pushed and showed something the following year he gets buried further in the depth chart.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm glad everyone knows Riddick is trash. He'll still see 300+ snaps and touch the ball over 100 x tho because that's what happened when you shouldn't be a coach and can't identify talent appropriately. 

About Dwayne Washington. I was there page 1 or 2 of his like 60 page thread a couple years back. Said the dude sucks and he just looks like he can play football, but I discourage anyone from taking the plunge. 

I was destroyed for about 20 pages until everyone went silent. 

Lions suck. Always have always will. 

I think it was up until 2017 where Riddick didn't have a run beyond 10 yards.  There was some bizarre stat I quoted on that.  Riddick is horribly overrated and overpaid.

I'm sure I was in that that Washington thread which was a wasteland despite watching film on him and openly questioning why a dude with so much "talent" lost his job.

I'd love to argue the Lions don't suck, but they have. I've questioned the Stafford extensions since day 1.  Now we have Calvin saying pay me to hang out with you guys.

• Like 1
On 6/3/2019 at 11:24 AM, Sternes said:

Exactly, he plays RB in the NFL. That is all I care about.  I don't know why you bring up him being white every year.  You did the same thing last year.

Zenner I didn't even know about until I reviewed combine numbers pre-draft.  Came away impressed and wondered who the heck was this guy.  Read some scouting reports that were very "meh" on him.  Figured he was a work out warrior and not a RB. I watched game tape and came away very impressed.  Ended up on Lions.   Dude actually impressed enough as a UDFA to make the roster in preseason. I of course at that point tied my horse to him; just like I did when Kevin Smith was there, and Gym Shorts was screwing him over with Best and LeShoure.

Again there are a number of reasons to think he won't do much this year, most of which I covered.  Playing time, once again buried on depth chart, who knows if he will make the roster even, and then will he even be active if he makes the team?  What does not seem to be an issue is measurables, talent, and performance when given carries. We will see how it all shakes out.

He is not in a situation like a Gillislee, or Damian Williams, but I find it weird how some guys always get flak no matter what they do.  Saw it with Lions fans with Kevin Smith getting crapped on, then when Best and LeShoure were added. Or bizarrely Aaron Brown being the fan favorite out of nowhere and saying he needed more run.  I still remember the talk of Abdullah making moves and the press saying they hadn't seen that since Barry Sanders.  AA got nothing but free passes to perform.  Dwayne Washington because the coaching staff wanted to rub their hands on his body got playing time.  Hell, they threw Justin Forsett out there in front of him off the street for a game.  If the Lions had given him 50-75 carries and he did nothing I'd be done.  Instead every time he gets run he seems to perform.  It is practically an annual tease at this point.

I bring him being white out because there is a miniscule percentage of white RBs that are any good in the NFL. It is certainly relevant to discuss race when discussing a RB. Im out on him though so I will leave.

• 1 month later...

Average Defenders In The Box  (numbers via player profiler)

Kerryon Johnson - 6.8 (#35)

Zach Zenner - 7.4 (#2)

LeGarrette Blount 7.2 (#4)

Theo Riddick 6.2 (no number due to it being so low I'm assuming)

Percentage of carries with stacked (8 or more), base (7), or light front (6 or fewer defenders)

Stacked/Base/Light

Kerryon Johnson - 23.7% 41.5% 34.7%

Zach Zenner -       34.5% 50.9% 14.5%

LeGarrette Blount - 33.8% 44.8% 22.1%

Theo Riddick  -       2.7% 20.0% 77.5%

33 minutes ago, isuckatdfs said:

why is there a thread on this guy? did kerryon and cj anderson tear their acl? i would no want him in a 20 team league where you have to start 3 rb a week. 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Sivaro said:

ZZ is criminally neglected on his team.  It looks like racism.   IMO.

I disagree.  Caldwell seemed to play his favorites.  I wouldn't call that racism, and I can't read minds, which means that is where it starts and stops for me. His choices were  outrageously stupid.  That is why he got fired.  Between him and JBC there was an issue with Zenner.  I'm not sure what it was, but based on everything I watched, read in pressers, and usage, they did not like him.  Suggesting racism is unfair when there isn't anything blatantly said.  You can't prove your innocence when accused of a thought crime.

Some posters have said things you could deem racist. I mostly ignore it.  A lot of it is just silly piling on and they think they are original repeating obvious things.

Patricia pushed hard to sign Zenner last year and said he had a role before his injury cheap shot preseason injury.  That is why they brought him back. Last year was the fairest chance he has had at playing time since his rookie year before another freak injury and Lombardi being fired.

I remember similar things with Kevin Smith.  "LeShoure is a sledgehammer, Best is lightening" instead it was "LeShoure had no burst or vision, Best had his brain scrambled".  There was a big school vs small school bias (among many biases) that people seemed to relish in rather than actually watching tape.  Then they would use the coaching staff decisions to vindicate their cursory observations; "see, an NFL head coach agrees with me, are you an NFL head coach? Are you a scout?"  I see the same thing with Smith I see in regards to Zenner as far as not getting a fair shake. 

• 4 weeks later...

CleanMagnificentAngwantibo-small.gif

I'm more surprised than anything.  CJ has been awful in preseason, isn't running well, and has been banged up with ankle injuries.   Mark Thompson who was on the practice squad of the Ravens.  Ty Johnson I get in the Riddick role.  Zenner did well this preseason too, 5.1 YPC.  CJ is getting 2.7.  The Lions got rid of everyone but Kerryon from last year. That seems to be a curious move in itself.

Zenner might have a shot considering how dire some of the RB situations are in the NFL.

• Like 3

Lets hope he goes to a team that will see past his melanin deficiency.

He is a solid back, and many teams are in dire need of a back-up behind their starters, or outright better starter than what they have.  I think Houston would be a great place to land. Also, who is the backup to Fournette or D. Freeman?  Even the Dolphins would be a good place.

I would like to see him in several places. Detroit is making a mistake, their roster behind Kerryon looks weak.

1 hour ago, Sivaro said:

Lets hope he goes to a team that will see past his melanin deficiency.

He is a solid back, and many teams are in dire need of a back-up behind their starters, or outright better starter than what they have.  I think Houston would be a great place to land. Also, who is the backup to Fournette or D. Freeman?  Even the Dolphins would be a good place.

I would like to see him in several places. Detroit is making a mistake, their roster behind Kerryon looks weak.

Fournette = blue and rookie

freeman = ito and not sure

7 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Fournette = blue and rookie

freeman = ito and not sure

ZZ is better than any of those back-ups.  He should get run as a third down spell back for either of the 2 main backs.    Zenner needs to find a good home. He is at least depth behind starters on almost any team.

35 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

ZZ is better than any of those back-ups.  He should get run as a third down spell back for either of the 2 main backs.    Zenner needs to find a good home. He is at least depth behind starters on almost any team.

Agree he is. I’d love to see any note of Houston stay on top of things guys

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

NFC North

Packers - Likely would be the immediate #2.

NFC East

Giants - Could be #2 or #3

Redskin - Would be their #3

NFC South

Panthers - Would be #3

Falcons - #3

Bucs - Who knows, but would def be one roster

NFC West

Rams - #3 easily

49ers - #2-3 that backfield is a mess

Cardinals - #3, maybe #2 right from the start

AFC North

Bengals - #3

Steelers - #3

AFC East

Dolphins - I threw them there because while other teams are crowded (Bills), this team seems lost at who they want to start

AFC South

Texans - Could be starter, #2 at worst.  I don't even recognize the names behind Duke Johnson.  Buddy Howell? Josh Furgeson?  Taiwan Jones is still in the league?!?!

Jaguars - #2

AFC West

Chargers - #3 at minimum

• Thanks 1