NBC Sports Edge Forums

26 minutes ago, LoGo said:

After a first inning from hell, he ended up throwing okay. 

44 pitches, 33 strikes, 5ks, 0 bb, 1 hit over his final 3 innings. 

Sending him down after a dud inning will do nothing but shatter his confidence. I'd expect another start. If he flops again, then some more AAA work is understandable. 

Brewers will be a tough test though

• Like 1
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

.475 BABIP and 59% LOB% will turn a 3.20 FIP/3.48 xFIP into a 7.13 ERA Elite prospect pedigree with slow career start with numbers to suggest he was unlucky... sign me up for the discount next ye

I only watched a bit, but according to the chart the FB has life+ on it--guy really needs a consistent 3rd offering and it could come together, here's the rather abbreviated chart: FB- sat almost

• 2 weeks later...

His last start was an ugly inning and was fantastic afterwards. Still hurt me pretty bad though, gonna have to wait and see. I don’t advise anyone starting today unless you are looking for K’s only. 

16 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

His last start was an ugly inning and was fantastic afterwards. Still hurt me pretty bad though, gonna have to wait and see. I don’t advise anyone starting today unless you are looking for K’s only. 

I would probably sit/avoid except in points leagues, Atlanta has been rolling lately but they K a decent amount.

29 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I would probably sit/avoid except in points leagues, Atlanta has been rolling lately but they K a decent amount.

He awarded me with -7 in my points league. I absolutely think he’s worth a stash, but I would really advise a wait and see approach. 

I manipulated my roster quite a bit just to add him for tonight, more to see how he does...but for all the moving and shaking I had to do, I think I'm going to roll him out there and hope for the best.

Like others, I did pick him up, but he is firmly planted on my bench.  Too much of a risk to use, but he does make for a great stash just in case he surprises since obviously the ability is there (and now opportunity with really nobody standing in his way).

36 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Like others, I did pick him up, but he is firmly planted on my bench.  Too much of a risk to use, but he does make for a great stash just in case he surprises since obviously the ability is there (and now opportunity with really nobody standing in his way).

Same here firmly on my bench tell it makes sense not too.

He is a prospect in his second start. It's a bit early to label the guy a bum. It does seem as if he isn't really ready. My guess is he goes right back down tomorrow. 

I have him in my money league, but that one has minor-league spots. I didn't activate him due to the matchup. I'm glad I made the right call. 

Not a scout obviously, but does his heater look really flat to anyone else? 97 is cheese, but everyone can hit that in the show. Without some run, duck, or dive on that thing he's gonna continue to have some trouble. A plus change would do absolute wonders for him. 

12 hours ago, LoGo said:

Not a scout obviously, but does his heater look really flat to anyone else? 97 is cheese, but everyone can hit that in the show. Without some run, duck, or dive on that thing he's gonna continue to have some trouble. A plus change would do absolute wonders for him. 

I only watched a bit, but according to the chart the FB has life+ on it--guy really needs a consistent 3rd offering and it could come together, here's the rather abbreviated chart:

FB- sat almost 96 mph (hit 98), great amount of vert action on it, threw 44--31 strikes with 27 cuts and 4 whiffs...still hitters were finding a lot of contact on it, though plenty of it was off-barrel and he got BABIP'd...It feels like they are just sitting on it, because why not?

SL- averaged just under 88mph, very solid dive and dart movements on it, threw 17--10 for strikes with 8 hacks and 5 whiffs, it's a high quality breaker imo

CH- threw only 5 and comes in around 90 MPH with good tumble, 2 strikes on the 5 and a cut...

CU- this is the key for him, it compliments the other stuff very well--both in terms of changing movements with it's horizontal break and his velo spectrum, as it sits at 80 MPH...he only spun up 5--2 strikes and a swing, he's gotta get a feel for it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I only watched a bit, but according to the chart the FB has life+ on it--guy really needs a consistent 3rd offering and it could come together, here's the rather abbreviated chart:

FB- sat almost 96 mph (hit 98), great amount of vert action on it, threw 44--31 strikes with 27 cuts and 4 whiffs...still hitters were finding a lot of contact on it, though plenty of it was off-barrel and he got BABIP'd...It feels like they are just sitting on it, because why not?

SL- averaged just under 88mph, very solid dive and dart movements on it, threw 17--10 for strikes with 8 hacks and 5 whiffs, it's a high quality breaker imo

CH- threw only 5 and comes in around 90 MPH with good tumble, 2 strikes on the 5 and a cut...

CU- this is the key for him, it compliments the other stuff very well--both in terms of changing movements with it's horizontal break and his velo spectrum, as it sits at 80 MPH...he only spun up 5--2 strikes and a swing, he's gotta get a feel for it...

Always thought the curve was his go to secondary offering?  A little surprised to see he only threw 5, maybe he just didn’t have a feel for it?  Seems the same story continues with him though, really needs to make the change work to allow his fb to play up, otherwise hitters will sit on it all day.

6 minutes ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Always thought the curve was his go to secondary offering?  A little surprised to see he only threw 5, maybe he just didn’t have a feel for it?  Seems the same story continues with him though, really needs to make the change work to allow his fb to play up, otherwise hitters will sit on it all day.

Correct, his hook was considered to be a plus offering by every prospect guy I have read...he absolutely needs to have it...he's been working hard on the slide piece and going by the chart it appears to be a quality offering...the ingredients are here for a front-line guy, I'd urge people to have patience if they are able to.

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Great breakdown, thanks for the info! I personally did not observe as much of the vertical action on the 1 as implied above, but admittedly I was dealing with a crying baby much of the first 3 innings and wasn't fine-tooth combing every pitch.

Call me old fashioned, but a lot of guys won a lot of games and got a lot of outs with a great FB-CH combo. It pains me so much to see a kid with this much arm talent utterly disregard his change. Not really something you work on in the Majors mid-season, but that's really gotta be a focal point for him next off-season and spring. He already has solid breaking ball offerings, but they are ill-effective when everyone is sitting dead-red heater with no threat of a changer. A nice change-piece opens up a world of possibilities for him IMO. 

59 minutes ago, LoGo said:

Great breakdown, thanks for the info! I personally did not observe as much of the vertical action on the 1 as implied above, but admittedly I was dealing with a crying baby much of the first 3 innings and wasn't fine-tooth combing every pitch.

Call me old fashioned, but a lot of guys won a lot of games and got a lot of outs with a great FB-CH combo. It pains me so much to see a kid with this much arm talent utterly disregard his change. Not really something you work on in the Majors mid-season, but that's really gotta be a focal point for him next off-season and spring. He already has solid breaking ball offerings, but they are ill-effective when everyone is sitting dead-red heater with no threat of a changer. A nice change-piece opens up a world of possibilities for him IMO. 

Pretty sure the main reason he’s been kept down for so long is because he’s been trying desperately to improve the changeup.  As a pitcher who could never make a change work for the life of me, it’s a very real possibility that he just can’t make it truly work.  Changeup releases are entirely different from all other breaking pitches and can be tough for certain releases.

18 minutes ago, Moose42 said:

Anyone rolling the dice starting him against DET today? At PIT, so the anemic Tigers offense will be missing a DH too. Tempting.

I picked him up. I think his results have been worse than he's actually pitched ( 4.18 FIP 11.57 K/9) and he's had tough matchups. And there might not be a worse offense in baseball than DET without a DH. No guts, no glory.

Edited by fletch44
  • Like 1