Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zach Plesac 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty impressive start and chart shows this is something he can likely sustain: FB- averaged 94+ MPH and goes to it often, was really close even when he was missing with it, lots of vert action

I wanted part of this.  And what's funny is.  I was watching him pitch and the first 2 innings he looked like a deer in headlights.  I was like Why did I start him.  Then all the sudden he settled dow

Nice start today, chart was pretty nice too: FB- up a full tick from his last start, averaged 95 MPH and popped 97, great vert action to it, threw 61--42 strikes with 34 swings and 8 whiffs! Stri

1 minute ago, El_Chingon said:

Plesac starts tomorrow, Gallo won't be back yet.

Yea my bad I thought he played Texas this weekend. In that case I’d probably start him both games

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cpdaly said:

Will this guy stay in the rotation?  Do we think he’s on an innings limit?  Considering picking him up in a 10 team, but we are capped in terms of transactions per year...

Will probably stay in the rotation with Carrasco and Kluber out, yes

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cpdaly said:

Will this guy stay in the rotation?  Do we think he’s on an innings limit?  Considering picking him up in a 10 team, but we are capped in terms of transactions per year...

 

I would expect he sucks around for awhile. Kluber and Carrasco could be awhile. I also would be surprised to see a hard innings limit considering he went 111 pitches in that Yankees game. Granted Francona is kind of an idiot so who knows. 

There's some risk for sure but if I had to guess I'd say he sticks for awhile. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

 

I would expect he sucks around for awhile. Kluber and Carrasco could be awhile. I also would be surprised to see a hard innings limit considering he went 111 pitches in that Yankees game. Granted Francona is kind of an idiot so who knows. 

There's some risk for sure but if I had to guess I'd say he sticks for awhile. 

You don't expect he sucks, you expect he sticks. I'm not playing correction man, just messing with you.    ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good start kid, really seemed to be fighting the command--and according to his zone plot he was missing by quite a bit, still really limited hard contact, pretty solid chart:

FB- not sure what got into to him but it was up at least a full tick! averaged 95+ MPH (97 top) over a whopping 66 pitches with it--37 strikes with 25 hacks on it and 6 whiffs

SI- only a couple, both at almost 97 mph--both for strikes with 2 swings and 1 whiff, bottom really fell out too...

SL- main secondary, great spin, tossed 14--8 strikes with 7 cuts and 3 whiffs, sat 86 MPH

CH- nice tilt at 88 mph, went to it 9 times--5 strikes with 3 swings on it

CU- must not have had a feel for it, only 3 spun up but it charts with some nice horizontal action on it, at 82 MPH it works well on his velo spectrum, hope it develops yet

FO- yep guys we got a forker here, though I think it might be mis-charted because it looks identical to the CH, threw 6--5 strikes with 5 swings on it

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it’s classic Francona - get back out there until you allow at least four runs.  He was missing up with his FB - a sure sign of fatigue.  And had pitched a great game.  Just pull him, dude.  You have this thing known as a bullpen...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah not sure what happened with his command, but honestly it looked like he knew he had a big lead and was trying to be a little too cute. The opposite of what you'd expect (big lead, pound the zone).

 

Overall, he was 102-60, but was 17-12 in the first inning.

1st: 17-12 (70.59%)

2nd: 15-9 (60.0%)

Rest of game: 70-39 (55.71%)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Baur10 said:

K/9 6.52

BB/9 2.56

HR/9 1.63

BABIP .192

xFIP 4.79

 

Sell high time or am I overreacting to some SSS stats?

If you can go for it I guess. He beat the Sox at Fenway, Yankees at home, and is in an awful division. I’m happy with him filling out my rotation 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

K/9 6.52

BB/9 2.56

HR/9 1.63

BABIP .192

xFIP 4.79

 

Sell high time or am I overreacting to some SSS stats?

Both?  Too early to make anything of it yet on any of those.  But if you can sell an unheralded prospect for something of value after 2 starts,   go for it

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ty5592 said:

If you can go for it I guess. He beat the Sox at Fenway, Yankees at home, and is in an awful division. I’m happy with him filling out my rotation 

 

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the ride.  I like the level of competition he has faced.  I like his ability to shake off bad innings.  I like how many pitches he can throw effectively (brings the floor up in general IMO).

Just trying to plan ahead but fully recognize focusing too heavy on fangraph info can bite you in the arse.

1 minute ago, WahooManiac said:

Both?  Too early to make anything of it yet on any of those.  But if you can sell an unheralded prospect for something of value after 2 starts,   go for it

 

I get what you're saying, but he has excellent numbers over 9 starts in the minors and 6 in the majors so far this year so I'd argue he's not exactly unknown and valueless in fantasy circles at this point. No one is giving up anything big for him I agree but there is a middle ground somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Both?  Too early to make anything of it yet on any of those.  But if you can sell an unheralded prospect for something of value after 2 starts,   go for it

Was listening on SiriusXM earlier and they were talking about how he had similar numbers in the minors and pitched well despite them. Something to do with being a guy who pitched to soft contact and when the control is there he’s going to outperform those. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Baur10 said:

K/9 6.52

BB/9 2.56

HR/9 1.63

BABIP .192

xFIP 4.79

 

Sell high time or am I overreacting to some SSS stats?

He just has this swagger about him to the point where I don't see him having many bad outings/innings in a row. He reminds me of Shane Bieber. When he gets in a groove he just oozes confidence. You can sell high if you want but I don't see a major nosedive numbers wise. honestly I think he can only improve from here on out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Osu1456 said:

He just has this swagger about him to the point where I don't see him having many bad outings/innings in a row. He reminds me of Shane Bieber. When he gets in a groove he just oozes confidence. You can sell high if you want but I don't see a major nosedive numbers wise. honestly I think he can only improve from here on out.

He reminds me of Shane Bieber last year, but he can actually get out of trouble. I remember the only way Bieber could reset was getting a HR blasted to clear the bases.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bunnyzclan said:

He reminds me of Shane Bieber last year, but he can actually get out of trouble. I remember the only way Bieber could reset was getting a HR blasted to clear the bases.

 

I agree Plesac does remind me of Beiber. Both had decent K numbers in the minors and they don’t walk many batters. 

i don’t know how their pitches compare (curve, slider, etc) but Beiber has become a pretty good pitcher with good strikeout numbers. Maybe Plesac can follows in his footsteps.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of a reality check today. Was getting by on smoke and mirrors a bit these last few weeks. His walk rates have always been good in the minors but he falls behind far too often. And he just doesn't have the stuff to do that consistently and still succeed over the long run.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...