NBC Sports Edge Forums

Andres Munoz RHP SD

One of the rare relievers worth putting on your priority list. The 20-year-old was reportedly clocked at 104 mph earlier this season in a stint with Double-A Amarillo. He just got promoted to Triple-A El Paso.

Here are his combined numbers between Amarillo and El Paso:

1.37 ERA, 19 games, 19 2/3 IP, 8 H, 9 R, 3 ER, 14 BB, 38 K, 1 HR, .123 BAA

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, WestTexasGM said:

One of the rare relievers worth putting on your priority list. The 20-year-old was reportedly clocked at 104 mph earlier this season in a stint with Double-A Amarillo. He just got promoted to Triple-A El Paso.

Here are his combined numbers between Amarillo and El Paso:

1.37 ERA, 19 games, 19 2/3 IP, 8 H, 9 R, 3 ER, 14 BB, 38 K, 1 HR, .123 BAA

Will have to get that walk rate down if he is going to have any success in the majors.  Also looks like his ERA is significantly lower due to unearned runs.  Definitely the velocity is intriguing and hopefully he can start to harness his command/control, because we know there are few guys that can throw that hard.

11 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

fwiw since May his walks are insanely down

Although I would not classify it as "insanely down" it looks like he has shown recent progress. He was promoted to Triple A about a week ago and although he has walked 3 in 4 innings there (small sample size), overall he has walked 5 (vs 20 Ks) in 11.2 innings.  He could probably survive with those kinds of numbers rather nicely.   I would imagine though that he's control will come and go...

On 5/29/2019 at 1:19 PM, BigPapi44 said:

Will have to get that walk rate down if he is going to have any success in the majors.  Also looks like his ERA is significantly lower due to unearned runs.  Definitely the velocity is intriguing and hopefully he can start to harness his command/control, because we know there are few guys that can throw that hard.

The walks are definitely a wart he needs to work on, but it's not surprising or discouraging considering the vast majority of relievers with his kind of high strikeout, high velocity profile have this issue.

20 minutes ago, WestTexasGM said:

The walks are definitely a wart he needs to work on, but it's not surprising or discouraging considering the vast majority of relievers with his kind of high strikeout, high velocity profile have this issue.

One positive is that he's only walked 4 in his last 10 appearances, so he's definitely trending in the right direction on that front.

2 minutes ago, cizastro said:

Any chance he gets called up this season or is this looking like a 2020 play?

There's always a chance, though on relievers probably a better chance than most, particularly when in comes to bullpens that could use a real boost. I'd definitely be looking at him as a 2019 play.

6 minutes ago, Dark One said:

There's always a chance, though on relievers probably a better chance than most, particularly when in comes to bullpens that could use a real boost. I'd definitely be looking at him as a 2019 play.

Thanks, gonna throw him on my watch list for an NL-only league I'm in.  Closers are hard to come by and while he won't close this season he appears to have the stuff to potentially become one if Yates gets dealt at some point.  With Padres in "win now" mode Yates may be around for a while though.

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 17 pitches, 12 strikes in a June 5 appearance against Iowa. He picked up the save.

Munoz has four straight outings without a walk. This was first appearance in six with El Paso without a strikeout.

Edited by BaseballJunkie
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...