NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kevin Newman 2019 Outlook

The new leadoff hitter for the Pirates, has kind of taken over the SS position (and will play 2B or 3B on days they play Tucker).  Not incredibly exciting, but he's hitting for a great average right now and could be sneaky solid for counting stats with the Pirates' lineup actually being surprisingly solid in the upper half (especially with Bell now becoming a superstar).

Looks like hit for decent AVG in minors and had quite a bit of steals. Only one SB so far however. Off to a good start, worth putting on the watch list and see what happens. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

He was a decent prospect 2 yrs ago....not going to put up big power numbers but Avg/OBP, runs, SBs should be pretty good for a SS - Im in  

Which makes him a good fit when you build a team for the overall stats and just don't grab players helter skelter with no thought of the team's composition.  I've added him in every dynasty league I could too. 

And on Yahoo he is already re-qualified next year for both SS and 2B which makes him a nice flex piece on your roster flipping around positions during other players' travel and/or rest days etc.  And he is still young so for us dynasty and deep keeper owners an extra bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember following him a few years ago but don't remember much. I recall his hit tooling being his best asset and him having moderate speed. I had some worry that he was just going to be a slap hitter since he doesn't have great power, but I think he can be an average shortstop (which for fantasy purposes isn't much). Take this with a grain of salt though.

1 hour ago, Dr Pickem said:

Kid is on f🔥🔥🔥 only 15% (yahoo)owned get him before it’s to late great all around leadoff hitter wit to positions

Agreed.  He is quickly becoming one of the better non-power hitting leadoff hitters in baseball.

6 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Agreed.  He is quickly becoming one of the better non-power hitting leadoff hitters in baseball.

He’s shown some pop tho. Nice leadoff homerun in today’s game. And smoked a nice double down the line for his third hit of the day.  Does anything in his advanced metrics scream regression at all or luck? I don’t know much about him but anyone who can put together a solid 17-game hitting streak as well as numerous multi hit games in that stretch deserves a look. 

6 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

He’s shown some pop tho. Nice leadoff homerun in today’s game. And smoked a nice double down the line for his third hit of the day.  Does anything in his advanced metrics scream regression at all or luck? I don’t know much about him but anyone who can put together a solid 17-game hitting streak as well as numerous multi hit games in that stretch deserves a look. 

Apparently he hits the ball with the power of a wet noodle according to his baseball savant page

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

True, he has, but I wasn't going to include him in the legit power hitting leadoff hitters like Lindor or Springer.  Honestly, they are guys that should be batting lower in the lineup, but that's beside the point.

Somebody else could probably answer the question about the advanced metrics better than me though.  I don't usually dive too much into them, but you are right, he definitely deserves a look in most leagues.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

why does Adam Frazier keep getting put in the leadoff spot over Newman. Newman is coming off a game in the leadoff spot where here was on base 3 times. Newman has been straight up better.

Baseball managers are bored people. I think they tinker with lineups to spice up their lives.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

why does Adam Frazier keep getting put in the leadoff spot over Newman. Newman is coming off a game in the leadoff spot where here was on base 3 times. Newman has been straight up better.

Frazier got put in the leadoff spot for a game and had a breakout game, so Hurdle has left him there ever since.  Newman is only in the leadoff spot whenever Frazier doesn't play, like yesterday.

I agree that Newman is the better hitter.  That's clear, and I've been wondering if Hurdle would ever switch back, but his boy Frazier continues to do just enough to keep his stats looking solid, so I'm guessing Newman won't be the regular leadoff hitter again anytime soon even though he literally did nothing to warrant being buried down in the 7th spot basically permanently.

He's still been relatively productive, and one has to wonder how many more counting stats he would get at the top with Bell doing absolutely nothing to drive anybody in anymore.