NBC Sports Edge Forums

I did a search and did not find a thread. Apologies if I missed it. Interested in discussing this guy.

-Former 1st round pick, just 24 years-old

-Was slated for some 1B before Alonso took off

-Has been getting limited ABs, but when he’s played—.362/.471/.534, 15.7 BB%, 18.6 K%

-.442 BABIP suggests *some* of this is smoke and mirrors, but the Mets appear to be getting him more games (LF), and he’s been hitting 2nd lately. 

Does his playing time wash out once all are healthy? Any Mets fans or others in general with specific insights?

• Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The NL needs a DH

Cano will play 2b when he gets healthy. CarGo plays for the Cubs.    I can still see him playing quite a lot even when Nimmo returns. Nimmo has been trash all year and if Dom continues to hi

At the moment, but once Cano comes back he won’t be.

The Mets don’t want him in LF and when McNeil and Cano come back he’ll go back to playing once a week. I think best case scenario for fantasy this year he ends up getting traded for SP when Cano and McNeil come back and they’re letting him play LF to audition his bat. The Mets could also keep him all year and hope a DH comes to the NL next year. He is younger than Alonso so if they’re confident a DH is coming they might hold him

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ty5592 said:

The Mets don’t want him in LF and when McNeil and Cano come back he’ll go back to playing once a week. I think best case scenario for fantasy this year he ends up getting traded for SP when Cano and McNeil come back and they’re letting him play LF to audition his bat. The Mets could also keep him all year and hope a DH comes to the NL next year. He is younger than Alonso so if they’re confident a DH is coming they might hold him

What I read the agreement is for 2022 because when does baseball not drag it's feet on stuff that should have been done 50 years back.

This dude can hit. For whatever reason I’m getting a Josh Bell type vibe... meaning he hasn’t shown a ton of power and is more of a doubles type hitter but once they figure out the long ball watch out.

Edited by bjvance5
1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

just wont be a spot for him, Nimmo going on rehab assignment as well, needs a trade to be relevant this year

Has Nimmo earned guaranteed full time playing time? It seems to me both left and center outfields have had well below average production.  Perhaps the Mets give Smith a real shot at it.  He's intriguing as a full time...

It’s not so much Nimmo but McNeil who will cost Smith playing time in LF. He’s too good to sit so the Mets have played him at third and left, in addition to second base. If Cano’s injury lingers it will buy Smith more playing time in left because McNeil will be the starting 2nd baseman. 

On 6/7/2019 at 11:27 AM, kmoore1521 said:

just wont be a spot for him, Nimmo going on rehab assignment as well, needs a trade to be relevant this year

Unfortunately, yes.  It was really hard for them to get him into the lineup when basically everybody was healthy early in the season.  If mostly everybody returns soon, the situation will go right back to that again.

Still, not a bad short term pickup, if for nothing else but the really nice batting average.

I can see him sticking if Nimmo comes back as CF with Dominic LF, Conforto RF, Alonso 1B, and McNeil 2B. Albeit some of them won't be playing their natural positions, but they have to prioritize offense at some point right? They have no particular reason to play JD Davis, Lagares, or CarGo over them.

54 minutes ago, bunnyzclan said:

I can see him sticking if Nimmo comes back as CF with Dominic LF, Conforto RF, Alonso 1B, and McNeil 2B. Albeit some of them won't be playing their natural positions, but they have to prioritize offense at some point right? They have no particular reason to play JD Davis, Lagares, or CarGo over them.

Cano will play 2b when he gets healthy. CarGo plays for the Cubs. 

I can still see him playing quite a lot even when Nimmo returns. Nimmo has been trash all year and if Dom continues to hit like this he’s going to be in the lineup. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, bjvance5 said:

Cano will play 2b when he gets healthy. CarGo plays for the Cubs. 

I can still see him playing quite a lot even when Nimmo returns. Nimmo has been trash all year and if Dom continues to hit like this he’s going to be in the lineup. 

Cano has been poor this season and if playing the younger guys leads to them winning and developing they might stick with it. And I'm talking about Carlos Gomez of the Mets. He's had time at OF this year too. I'm just saying that the younger guys who are flashing potential don't have as big a hurdle to play time as people might be insinuating.

13 minutes ago, bunnyzclan said:

Cano has been poor this season and if playing the younger guys leads to them winning and developing they might stick with it. And I'm talking about Carlos Gomez of the Mets. He's had time at OF this year too. I'm just saying that the younger guys who are flashing potential don't have as big a hurdle to play time as people might be insinuating.

I highly doubt Cano loses playing time, outside of injury, unless he's struggling like this for another couple months. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, B&F said:

Does anyone think SSS is in play here?  He is hitting better than he did in the minors.

Well of course. .442 BABIP is not sustainable. But confidence, playing time, and spot in lineup is making it hard to continue to ignore. Can still be productive as long as he’s playing.