NBC Sports Edge Forums

Two days in a row not in the starting lineup now that Cano is back. @Mongeese was right here. And this doesn’t include Nimmo, who is still out. 

Smith only hitting .348 with a 172 wRC+. No room for that when you’ve gotta get the aged veterans Cano and T.Frazier in there. Yeah, they’re hitting under .255, but provide the all-important veteran grit.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The NL needs a DH

Cano will play 2b when he gets healthy. CarGo plays for the Cubs.    I can still see him playing quite a lot even when Nimmo returns. Nimmo has been trash all year and if Dom continues to hi

At the moment, but once Cano comes back he won’t be.

He should be playing every night. The Mets are 8.5 back they need every productive bat in the lineup right now. Furthermore, if the team has any doubts about his long term viability in left field he needs to be out there as a potential trade chip. Another disaster season for this team.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, B&F said:

Would love to add this guy but what is the point?  Not enough PT.

Forcing himself into the conversation.  If the Mets continue to fall out of contention, I could see someone like Cano get moved (if someone will take him) or Frazier (again, just a dump) such that McNeil goes back to the IF and Smith can get some consistent PT.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Forcing himself into the conversation.  If the Mets continue to fall out of contention, I could see someone like Cano get moved (if someone will take him) or Frazier (again, just a dump) such that McNeil goes back to the IF and Smith can get some consistent PT.  

I don't see movement coming with Cano. The only way is if the Mets eat the contract and then that trade looks even worse than it did the day they made it. I think the most "Mets" thing to do would be if Noah comes back and they get on a bit of a heater and trade Dom Smith for a RP because they think they are in the race. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

I don't see movement coming with Cano. The only way is if the Mets eat the contract and then that trade looks even worse than it did the day they made it. I think the most "Mets" thing to do would be if Noah comes back and they get on a bit of a heater and trade Dom Smith for a RP because they think they are in the race. 

They need 4 relief pitchers though. As much as I like Dom, I don't think he can fetch more than 1 at this point. But I agree with you, it's a "Mets" thing to do. And definitely no movement with Cano, the only person who wanted him at all was BVW and he's already got him lol

They're horrible defensively already, put Conforto in CF with McNeil and Smith on the corners. Conforto would have to be horrendous in CF to negate the advantage of having Smith's bat in there instead of Lagares. 

Relegating Cano to a bench role is another way to keep Smith and McNeil in the lineup. Cano is sitting today. Hopefully they realize they should do that more often, but that’s wishful thinking with this team. Smith, Alonso, McNeil, and Conforto need to play every game. Rotate everyone else. 

23 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Forcing himself into the conversation.  If the Mets continue to fall out of contention, I could see someone like Cano get moved (if someone will take him)

No one would take that contract in a million years.  Well except of course the Mets.

I hate it when someone like Dominic here is starting to put up good stats but I don't dare pick him up because half the time he will be on the Mets bench.

OT:  That Met the Mets video above was hilarious.  And Gil Hodges shown on a poster advertising cigarettes, lol. 

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No one would take that contract in a million years.  Well except of course the Mets.

I hate it when someone like Dominic here is starting to put up good stats but I don't dare pick him up because half the time he will be on the Mets bench.

OT:  That Met the Mets video above was hilarious.  And Gil Hodges shown on a poster advertising cigarettes, lol. 

The only team that would acquire Cano already acquired Cano... Nobody is as stupid as the Mess. It flows from top down from Wilpon.

The Mess would need to pay for 80%+ of the contract and throw in a good player/prospect.

Smith needs to DH.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:42 AM, rcarena said:

He's started 4 straight now, I think? Maybe we're past the issues 

Can't ignore what he's been doing at the plate and it looks like the Mets are embracing that as well.

Smith sits tonight vs. lefty Fried. Still appears as though he's got a regular spot in the lineup however. He had played 6 in a row.

" Smith started the last six contests and went 9-for-25 with four home runs, seven runs scored and a stolen base in that stretch."