NBC Sports Edge Forums

All time preseason hype busts

On 6/3/2019 at 11:15 AM, CooL said:

Lamar Miller 2016 when he moved to Houston Texans.  Touted to be in a great situation and a 3 down back. Drafted #5 overall in my league.  He has disappointed every year since.

I still haven't quit yet dude. Prob gonna get him again this year. At least it will be cheaper.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damien Williams 2019

Derrick Henry and Devante Parker fit in this list multiple years.

Cj spiller. Apparently I was the one who threw up.

4 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

Terelle Pryor after signing with Washington

add The Great Dayne from just about any of his early years

Terelle Pryor was 126th in yards after catch when he had 1,000 yards with Cleveland. 

That means all his catches were given to him, against prevent defenses, to keep the clock running.  Nobody seemed to care when I explained this.  He doesn't do contested catches or TDs very well.

19 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

I still haven't quit yet dude. Prob gonna get him again this year. At least it will be cheaper.

Same here, I'm hoping we see Foreman eat some touches and get that old Lamar back on a smaller workload.

I remember falling for Roy Williams when he went to be Cowboys. 

Trey Burton is one from last year as everyone touted the guy as someone who would “play the Kelce role”. He was supposed to that mid round TE who turns into a plug n play TE. 

• Like 1
On 6/3/2019 at 11:34 AM, Experienced Rookie said:

Remember when Steven Jackson was clearly over-the-hill and went to ATL? 

"Best offense he's ever played for" was all the talk. Late 1st round investment. Bust city. 

At the turn in a twelve team dynasty I drafted him and David Wilson.

The team name was changed to Dumpster Fire by week seven and it still hasn't recovered.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, fjthegrey said:

Worst one I've seen is Montee Ball

Wasn't Ball a late 1st or early 2nd round pick that year? I think I had grabbed him early 2nd.

50 minutes ago, Newtown said:

Going a little ways back but Fred Taylor was the poster child for preseason hype for about a decade only to let owners down.

Come on, you can't be serious. Taylor is a member of the 10.000 yard club and had 7 1000+ yard seasons.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

Come on, you can't be serious. Taylor is a member of the 10.000 yard club and had 7 1000+ yard seasons.

Had a fine career, but in fantasy, Fred had a hell of an injury history. At the wrong times.

C.J. Spiller

Cordarrelle Patterson

Bishop Sankey

Bonus: The year Matthew Berry touted Michael Vick nonstop for months as the #1 overall pick and he busted horribly.

• Like 1

The ones that just killed me the most were:

Trent Richardson and  Dante Culpepper (that was an injury to be fair.)

I have special hatred in my heart for Braylon Edwards though. Coming off his only huge season, he had a bet with Michael Phelps that he would catch more TDs than Phelps had medals going in to the season. I don't think he caught a single TD the whole season. Edwards could seriously drop a ball of glue. 

Edited by FreakFries
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Dislimb said:

C.J. Spiller

Cordarrelle Patterson

Bishop Sankey

Bonus: The year Matthew Berry touted Michael Vick nonstop for months as the #1 overall pick and he busted horribly.

Oh yea, I recall 2011-2012 the year of the quarterback.  Many were going in the first round

1 hour ago, clarkevii said:

Hands down it is: Shaun Alexander - 2006

You might as well end this thread now

Well, yeah.  But Alexander was the NFL MVP in 2005.  I see preseason hype busts as guys who never even had ONE good season.

Like Davante Parker.  But THIS year Parker is finally going to do it!

• Like 1