2019 June Closer Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Raisel Excusias

I mean, neither of them are playing in the majors at the moment ... So ... what we were told WAS true ...

"X-itis" means inflammation of the X.  There I just saved you 200k in student loan debt.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Maybe it won’t be LeClerc or Kelley??

Leclerc really crapped all over himself this year after signing a nice deal and had the closer position on lock down. I'm dropping and not looking back.

Edited by Members_Only_76
13 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Leclerc really crapped all over himself this year after signing a nice deal and had the closer position on lock down. I'm dropping and not looking back.

Every time I’m close, Kelley blows one. I’m not quite ready to drop. Just wish one would take the job and run with it. This wrinkle doesn’t help, but doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll get done, or that it will be a closer. Just something I thought worth sharing.

• Like 1

Every time I’m close, Kelley blows one. I’m not quite ready to drop. Just wish one would take the job and run with it. This wrinkle doesn’t help, but doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll get done, or that it will be a closer. Just something I thought worth sharing.

I'm with you, but feels like I've been telling myself that for a month now. Let's see how the next few days go...

• Like 1

Yup. He does just enough and Kelley screws up just enough to make me hold on to him. It's frustrating AF. 

• Like 2
On 6/2/2019 at 12:21 AM, LoganRonin said:

So who are you guys speculating on that will become closers in the near future.

Buttrey seems obvious 

How about bottom dwelling teams that might sell closers?  

Here are two stash candidates I am thinking about :

1)  Jimenez in Detroit (Green has been awesome as a closer, but Detroit isn't going anywhere)

2) Moronta in SF (SF has to be selling, only danger here is Moronta might be best, but the entire pen has "closer experience")

Who is on your list?

Jimenez is a ratio killer, much too much to even be a SAGNOF, I'm keeping an eye on Moronta but they may give the job to Melancon. I'm stashing Biagini because I feel Giles is the next closer to move. 

Edited by jseay65
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yep.  Just what I said abut Barnes above too when I talked about why I haven't been on the Barnes bandwagon ever.  Keep him as a set-up guy and he is okay.  But ninth inning pressure has always been his Achilles' heel.

Buuuttt... You're the guy who hyped Brasier and his mound presence. Let's tell the whole story here. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Minter recalled. Any clarity on his role? 

Newcomb starting late in the week, so I would assume Minter (also LHP) could slide back into a late innings role as the lefty. He seemed to straighten his problems out in his minors stint from what they say.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

LeClerc will be fine..over 14 K/9.  What's brought him down is some really crappy luck.  0.321 BABIP...a 15.4% HR/FB..where over his career he's normally a 6.4 % HR/FB.

No that's being too kind.  He was atrocious for a month where he couldn't sniff the plate and hasn't been able to grab back opportunities to close again even when management have stated it'll be his job again.   He's dominant when on but may always be a guy on the edge due to control/command issues.    I have stated previously I think he is an excellent fireman though but seems to be stumbling anytime he gets near the 9th.   Sometimes this stuff does get in your head...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 2

I just read an article by Richard Justice on MLB.com listing seven impact RPs that could be traded. Six of them were closers. We’ve talked about Smith, Givens, and Giles. But he also lists Vazquez, Hand, and Holland. I assume Bradley or Hirano would be the guy if Holland is dealt. But who is next in line if Hand or Vazquez is dealt? 

https://www.mlb.com/news/relievers-who-could-move-at-the-trade-deadline?partnerId=ed-13933084-1147487903

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

LeClerc will be fine..over 14 K/9.  What's brought him down is some really crappy luck.  0.321 BABIP...a 15.4% HR/FB..where over his career he's normally a 6.4 % HR/FB.

Agreed...and he will never get the closer role back this year barring injury. Rangers are looking for a new closer as we speak

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Leclair still looks awful 

In other news...water is wet

5 minutes ago, 9703 said:

Peter Fairbanks has good stuff in the Rangers bullpen. 

His minor league K rate has sky rocketed this year and his walk rate is good.  Looks like he was out last year so will have to do some research on this guy.   Good share...

1 minute ago, knuckleheads said:

His minor league K rate has sky rocketed this year and his walk rate is good.  Looks like he was out last year so will have to do some research on this guy.   Good share...

8 minutes ago, 9703 said:

Peter Fairbanks has good stuff in the Rangers bullpen. 

Two Tommy Johns and came back this year as a full time reliever.  Promoted a bunch of levels and now in the majors since.  Role seems to fit him and a good guy to add to the watch list...

8 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Two Tommy Johns and came back this year as a full time reliever.  Promoted a bunch of levels and now in the majors since.  Role seems to fit him and a good guy to add to the watch list...

Yeah I noticed him the other night on pitchingninja's Twitter. He has a fastball that can touch triple digits with a wipeout breaking ball. 

• Like 1