2019 June Closer Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Raisel Excusias

I mean, neither of them are playing in the majors at the moment ... So ... what we were told WAS true ...

"X-itis" means inflammation of the X.  There I just saved you 200k in student loan debt.

Posted Images

Rangers manager Chris Woodward said late Wednesday that Jose Leclerc is "getting close" to returning to the closer role.

Leclerc was dominant over the final two innings of Wednesday night's extra-innings victory over the Orioles and boasts a 1.76 ERA with 28 strikeouts in 15 1/3 innings since the beginning of May. His last save came on April 17, but he should soon swap roles with Shawn Kelley, who has been serving as the Rangers' primary ninth-inning man. "It’s getting close," Woodward said. "I just love the kid so much. He wants to win so bad. He’s willing to do whatever we ask. He’s been pitching lights out. Just the command with his fastball and getting the weird swings with his changeup. Yeah, it’s getting close."

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Rangers manager Chris Woodward said late Wednesday that Jose Leclerc is "getting close" to returning to the closer role.

Leclerc was dominant over the final two innings of Wednesday night's extra-innings victory over the Orioles and boasts a 1.76 ERA with 28 strikeouts in 15 1/3 innings since the beginning of May. His last save came on April 17, but he should soon swap roles with Shawn Kelley, who has been serving as the Rangers' primary ninth-inning man. "It’s getting close," Woodward said. "I just love the kid so much. He wants to win so bad. He’s willing to do whatever we ask. He’s been pitching lights out. Just the command with his fastball and getting the weird swings with his changeup. Yeah, it’s getting close."

I.e. Kelley is my closer although if he blows another one..,

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Odds Taylor Rogers starts seeing more save opps?

My guess is that it's likely since he's already seen his fair share. Ryne Harper could make for an interesting option if Rocco wants to mix and match based on RH/LH matchups

52 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Odds Taylor Rogers starts seeing more save opps?

Pretty good.  He was close to Hader dominant the second half last season after he discovered his curve.

7 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Trivino blows it for Oakland 

Trivino didn't do bad.  Grossman misplayed a fly ball at the warning track that led to a GR double which plated the winning run.  I felt bad for Trivino on that one.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

My guess is that it's likely since he's already seen his fair share. Ryne Harper could make for an interesting option if Rocco wants to mix and match based on RH/LH matchups

So Harper is ahead of May in the pecking order as the right-handed complement to Rogers if Parker falls out of favor?

3 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

So Harper is ahead of May in the pecking order as the right-handed complement to Rogers if Parker falls out of favor?

The usage seems to indicate that. I see May entering a lot of games with the team behind or up a bunch

May last 10 appearances 

8t 12- 2 out d1
6t 1-- 0 out d3
7t --- 0 out d1
6t 1-3 1 out a3
7b --- 0 out d1
8b --- 0 out a5
7t 1-- 2 out a6
7t --- 0 out a4
6b --- 0 out a4
6b --- 0 out a1

While Harper's coming in with leads, regardless of size 

Harper last 10 appearances

8t --- 0 out a4
7b --- 0 out a13
6b --- 0 out a1
6b --- 0 out a7
7t --- 0 out a1
9t --- 2 out a2
7b --- 0 out a5
7b 123 2 out a4
7b --- 1 out d3
5b 1-- 2 out a1

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

The usage seems to indicate that. I see May entering a lot of games with the team behind or up a bunch

May last 10 appearances 

8t 12- 2 out d1
6t 1-- 0 out d3
7t --- 0 out d1
6t 1-3 1 out a3
7b --- 0 out d1
8b --- 0 out a5
7t 1-- 2 out a6
7t --- 0 out a4
6b --- 0 out a4
6b --- 0 out a1

While Harper's coming in with leads, regardless of size 

Harper last 10 appearances

8t --- 0 out a4
7b --- 0 out a13
6b --- 0 out a1
6b --- 0 out a7
7t --- 0 out a1
9t --- 2 out a2
7b --- 0 out a5
7b 123 2 out a4
7b --- 1 out d3
5b 1-- 2 out a1

Useful info. Thanks.

Rays game setting up to be a good ending for the closer watch crowd, up 3-1 going into the 8th, Alvarado still away from the team, Castillo and Pagan should both be available (both last pitched on 5/31)

im gonna say Pagan gets the 8th and Castillo the 9th and if so kind of confirms they dont want Pagan as the closer but more a fireman role IMO (if alvarado was with the team i gotta think they woulda put Pagan in there for the 7th instead of Roe with the tying run being at the dish after the 1 out double)

Alvarado/Castillo co-closers.........just how we like it 🙄

Edited by kmoore1521

So...what happened with Blake Parker?  Just odd to see a guy in a traditional closer role, then lose it for no apparent reason.

He didn't blow a bunch of saves to lose the role.  He wasn't in some kind of committee/fireman role to begin with.  Guy was dominant in April and was just fine in May, then...poof, no longer the closer.

Just an odd deal.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

Is Robles still the angels closer? If so why is his ownership so low?

Yes. 

Because he’s not great, different leagues don’t value closers the same, He may not be owned in 8 team leagues, if on yahoo or espn, probably a decent portion of dead leagues that were drafted and have no action since.

I mean, a lot of factors that really shouldn’t affect his value for you in your league.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

So...what happened with Blake Parker?  Just odd to see a guy in a traditional closer role, then lose it for no apparent reason.

He didn't blow a bunch of saves to lose the role.  He wasn't in some kind of committee/fireman role to begin with.  Guy was dominant in April and was just fine in May, then...poof, no longer the closer.

Just an odd deal.

He gets exposed the more high leverage batters he faces.  12 homers allowed in 66 IP last year.  He does better in lower leverage roles IMO.  Can’t see him consistently carving through middle of decent lineups without a lot of adventures.

For those hoping to squeeze a few last saves out of the Mariners bullpen before Strickland comes back, Elias comes in again in a non-save situation and proceeds to give up a tater.  He definitely looks to be out of the mix.  With Brennan struggling lately and Sadzeck on the DL, it looks like Bass is the favorite right now for saves until Strickland gets back.