NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 June Closer Thread

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

He gets exposed the more high leverage batters he faces.  12 homers allowed in 66 IP last year.  He does better in lower leverage roles IMO.  Can’t see him consistently carving through middle of decent lineups without a lot of adventures.

A couple things with this.

1)  Closing games isn't always the highest leverage situation.  It often is not, actually.

2)  This isn't something that just came to surface in May.  If this were a concern for the Twins, why'd they have him close a bunch games, successfully, in May, then decide it was too high leverage for him?

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Raisel Excusias

I mean, neither of them are playing in the majors at the moment ... So ... what we were told WAS true ...

"X-itis" means inflammation of the X.  There I just saved you 200k in student loan debt.

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

For those hoping to squeeze a few last saves out of the Mariners bullpen before Strickland comes back, Elias comes in again in a non-save situation and proceeds to give up a tater.  He definitely looks to be out of the mix.  With Brennan struggling lately and Sadzeck on the DL, it looks like Bass is the favorite right now for saves until Strickland gets back.  

He looks awesome 😒

Edited by urban2014
4 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Pass on Bass. Gives up the go ahead run in the 10th. This bullpen is a dumpster fire. I would avoid it.  The job is ready for Strickland whenever he returns 

He had a nice 9th in a tie game (usually the closer spot), only 1 hit no runs, but then Servais sent him out for a 2nd inning in the 10th which was dumb. He gave up 1 run. I still think Bass is the best bet until Strickland and his 11.57 ERA (albeit in a SSS) comes back from the DL.  

Jordan hick is your closer with a long leash. Cmart is droppable everywhere since the cards don’t know what to do with him

Minnesota with a potential save situation coming up. May pitched the 7th. Rogers pitched the 8th. Parker still ? Harper ? (pitched last two nights though)

19 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Minnesota with a potential save situation coming up. May pitched the 7th. Rogers pitched the 8th. Parker still ? Harper ? (pitched last two nights though)

6 out save.  Rocco even left him to face Perez as tying run with 2 outs.  Ballsy.  Was Parker not available?

Just now, Cmilne23 said:

6 out save.  Rocco even left him to face Perez as tying run with 2 outs.  Ballsy.  Was Parker not available?

Parker started warming up after the Mercado HR.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

Woodward said he's "so close"... LOL yeah okay

5 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

LMAO it is still Kelley

So close doesn't mean the very next day.  Not quite sure why anybody assumed Leclerc would get the very next save opportunity...

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

So close doesn't mean the very next day.  Not quite sure why anybody assumed Leclerc would get the very next save opportunity...

Agreed - though I think it's possible he would have been given a chance to close it out tonight if he hadn't thrown two innings last night.

2 minutes ago, TexasBlueMoon said:

Kelley delivers

I think Leclerc will be back in the role extremely soon regardless - he's been mostly lights out since losing the job temporarily and they signed him to a long term contract back in March.

1 minute ago, Dark One said:

I think Leclerc will be back in the role extremely soon regardless - he's been mostly lights out since losing the job temporarily and they signed him to a long term contract back in March.

Why change though...leclerc was given the role and choked while Kelley has been nails

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Speculation, but I think gausman is heading to the pen soon

How do hanging splitters and 90 MPH straight as an arrow 4 seamers play in a bullpen?  🤔

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Why change though...leclerc was given the role and choked while Kelley has been nails

For one thing, the coach already indicated Leclerc will be back in the role soon, but Kelley does have 3 blown saves of his own in 10 chances and doesn't have overpowering stuff. LeClerc definitely has the stuff, just needed to get his confidence back.