NBC Sports Edge Forums

deGrom for Shane Bieber and Eugenio Suarez

Made this deal last night, just want somr opinions after the fact. Getting roasted by my league friends for this trade. I haven't been impressed with deGrom, I'm the team trading him away. 12-team points H2H ESPN rosters. First and Second round picks can be spent to keep two players. I feel Bieber has a high ceiling and I just had Moustakas go down. Currently at 5-4. Here is my roster.

C JT Realmuto

1B Anthony Rizzo

2B Gleybar Torres

3B Mike Moustakas (2B Elig)

SS Aldaberto Mondesi

1B/3B Trey Mancini (OF Elig)

2B/SS Michael Chavis (3B Elig)

OF Michael Conforto

OF Shin Soo Choo

OF Ryan Braun

OF Hunter Pence

OF Josh Reddick

UTIL Dansby Swanson

BN Eugenio Suarez

IL David Peralta

P Zack Greinke

P Lucas Giolito

P Kyle Hendricks

P Masahiro Tanaka

P Will Smith

P Michael Soroka

P Jordan Lyles

P Shane Bieber

Curious to know thoughts on this team.

Edited by Baloo

I don't know why you'd be roasted for this deal. 

deGrom has had a couple of concerns this year (arm first, now leaving last start with what just turned out to be a cramp). He also just signed a mega contract, for what that's worth. His #'s this year are nearly identical to 2017, and I don't think it's unreasonable for him to keep up his current pace/trajectory. I think it is unreasonable to expect 2018 again going forward. 2018 is looking like a year where everything just fell together, while 2017/2019 are still great years, they aren't quite as good. 

deGrom is posting a 3.49 ERA/3.36 FIP with a 10.9 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9 and a 1.15 WHIP. He's allowed 1.2 HR/9. 

Bieber is posting a 3.67 ERA/3.96 FIP with an 11.1 K/9 and 2.2 BB/9 and a 1.09 WHIP. He's allowed 1.7 HR/9. 

If there are any stats there I don't think are going to continue it's Biebers 11.1 K/9 and 1.7 HR/9. I think both go down. Bieber is still learning his craft, but still a very good arm. I do think deGrom should net more wins going forward, but Mets are gonna Met. 

So, all that said, I don't think it's that big of a downgrade. Of course, I take deGrom every time, even in a dynasty. However, getting Suarez is a nice addition to the deal, and would send me that way, for sure. Suarez is one of the more under rated bats in fantasy baseball. 

I think it was a perfectly fine deal. As a Bieber/Suarez owner in a 10 team dynasty with 30 man rosters, I would not deal the pair away for deGrom. I also wouldn't do it if it was redraft only. 

I like the deal for you.