NBC Sports Edge Forums

Heard some talk on the radio today about managing burn out over the course of the long season?  

What are some of your techniques to not get burned out?  

I try to take some days off, esp on short skates that don’t begin until later in the day.  But those are few and far between.

I eat, breathe, and sleep fantasy baseball and it's been that way for the last 5 or so years.  I can't ever remember feeling burnt out from it.  The ASB helps I guess, but by the end of it I'm itching for FBB to start up again.

• Like 4

Watching the Mariners all my life has burned me out so much that I’ll never get tired of watching real baseball games.  I would suggest becoming a fan of the Mariners, it will give you a new joy when you watch real teams compete and you won’t take it for granted.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
1 minute ago, 6Kill said:

I eat, breathe, and sleep fantasy baseball and it's been that way for the last 5 or so years.  I can't ever remember feeling burnt out from it.  The ASB helps I guess, but by the end of it I'm itching for FBB to start up again.

I ate breathe and slept fantasy baseball, football and to a lesser extent basketball from 2004 to about 2012. I used to be in about 8 baseball leagues and 8 football leagues a year and 2 fantasy basketball leagues a year. And in those leagues I was always the one leading the league in add/drops and trades. 

Nowadays I play in 1 fantasy baseball league, 1 fantasy football league and 1 fantasy basketball league. And that fantasy baseball league is NL only so I don't even pay attention to the AL at all. I am the epitome of burnt out. 

Trust me you'll get there eventually. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

When the light schedule days happen,  usually a Thursday or a Monday, I try not to watch any ball.  Also:

Lifting

Meditation/yoga

Volunteering 

This.

• Like 1

I quit fantasy football a few years back. That’s helped. 

As others mentioned, taking days off and getting away from it helps. 

Also, our league is geared toward preventing burnout. We have a weekly league where we set lineups Mondays. Our transactions go through Saturday nights for the next week, with a waiver wire based on standings each week. This allows us to have mental breaks through the week. We don’t have “first one to the computer wins” add/drops. We don’t have daily lineup changes, so I don’t need to spend each morning combing over matchups, and then 3 hours before each game looking for lineups. I spend more time than necessary, but you could literally spend Saturday afternoon preparing for waivers, then Sunday or Monday morning looking at weekly matchups. I think this helps.

We are also a keeper league, and we also reward finishing higher in the standings with next season’s draft slots. This keeps more interested and limits tanking/dead teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Slimzy17 said:

I find what helps with burnout is to not have too many teams.  It's more fun when I can focus on less, and it also decreases stress.

I second this. Wouldn't use the term burnout, I would inject this sh*t into my veins if I could, but I do prefer to focus on 1 or 2 primary, high stakes teams and lightly manage others.