NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yordan Alvarez 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leads the league in stole hearts tho 😍😍😍

about the same as Tyler White winning the triple crown...

Yordan and Aristides yesterday  

Posted Images

Cue "It's A Party" by Buck Cherry...  Not because I'm excited to get what should hopefully be some really good production.  I'm celebrating the fact that I no longer have to go into Yordan's MiLB thread anymore waiting for him to be called up. 😀

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Tucker had his chance already 

He's definitely still an elite prospect so it certainly says something when you pass over a talent like that, especially when already on the roster for Alvarez...

Edited by knuckleheads
48 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

If you needed to get excited, this is a great conversation here (starting at 17:20ish) that was posted previously in the MILB thread.  Alvarez being compared to some big names here...

He drives the ball the opposite way like Papi.  Whether be controls the zone like Papi is tbd.  I also think papi  was quicker on the inside half (better hip turn).

Edited by 96mnc
6 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

He drives the ball the opposite way like Papi.  Whether be controls the zone like Papi is tbd.  I also think papi  was quicker on the inside half (better hip turn).

Of course you are talking about the best dh of all time so I don't mind if he falls short of that...

• Haha 2

Alright so what to expect? Lets compare him to his closest counterpart in AAA this year...Austin Riley. Both were smashing and spraying the ball all over the field. Both had just absurd AAA numbers before their call-up

Riley

BB%: 11

K%: 19

Slug: .681

wOBA: .432

OPS: 1.057

Alvarez

BB%: 15

Slug: .742

wOBA: .465

OPS: 1.184

This is scary. So what I expect? I honestly expect Riley with better PD in a better lineup. Yeah he should be that good.

27 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Alright so what to expect? Lets compare him to his closest counterpart in AAA this year...Austin Riley. Both were smashing and spraying the ball all over the field. Both had just absurd AAA numbers before their call-up

Riley

BB%: 11

Slug: .681

wOBA: .432

OPS: 1.057

Alvarez

BB%: 15

Slug: .742

wOBA: .465

OPS: 1.184

This is scary. So what I expect? I honestly expect Riley with better PD in a better lineup. Yeah he should be that good.

Riley didn’t play in the PCL. BIG difference 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mlb2019 said:

how do you make it to the MLB minor league system and you are not good enough with defense?

David ortiz was brutal on defense but will end up being a HoF. Just happens to some players.

4 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

David ortiz was brutal on defense but will end up being a HoF. Just happens to some players.

David Ortiz is the ultimate example. if Ortiz gets in the HOF that makes a good case for Bonds, Clemens.

2 hours ago, huskadeez said:

Riley didn’t play in the PCL. BIG difference 

Except that Alvarez hit in a very neutral home park and didn't even get to the high altitude places until this week.  Thus not much of a difference if any at all in hitting environments. Regardless, Riley's legit and so is this guy. Hope he does as well but I think you'll see a better overall eye at the plate and draw a decent amount of walks.

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

better to add him just in case but he is not going to be this seasons Juan Soto. maybe Eloy Jimenez.

Well very few rookies are going to come up and have such a polished Juan Soto season right away so statistically that's a safe bet.  However, your statement that he's going to be this or that would require some type of explanation.  Otherwise not much substance to the statement.   My bet is he does very well and shows he belongs in the show...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, mlb2019 said:

better to add him just in case but he is not going to be this seasons Juan Soto. maybe Eloy Jimenez.

Maybe somewhere in between, which would be just fine with me (as in a better batting average than Eloy so far).

Either way, it's an exciting time right now...

2 hours ago, mlb2019 said:

He will be 100x better than vlad though...