NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, 9amest said:

I think right now his ceiling is michel like in a good offense with little receiving work, I just don't see the bucs taking dare off of 3rd down duties, looked like the clear pass catcher out of that backfield 

I agree with this, but basically he's like most any other back in the league then who is not a bellcow.  If he gets the majority of 1st and 2nd down work, in addition to goal line, then he will be valuable.  I'll be watching tonight and perhaps cursing myself for giving up too soon on him.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Owning RJ right now feels like watching your son blossom into a man right before your eyes 

Hey Ronald, let me give you a hand.

Why would Winston dump off when on any given play there’s anywhere between 7-11 players downfield to throw the ball to?

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Thursday night games are usually ****fests with random players performing. I anticipate RoJo is still considered one of those random players (I hope). 

I'm not saying you're wrong but do you have some back-up for that?

2 minutes ago, 9amest said:

I think right now his ceiling is michel like in a good offense with little receiving work, I just don't see the bucs taking dare off of 3rd down duties, looked like the clear pass catcher out of that backfield 

Maybe. But one of the only times they left RoJo in there on 3rd down he picked up a gutsy 18 yard reception to move the sticks. For now it's certainly a cap on his upside. If he could even snag a portion of the 3rd down work it would go a long way to strengthening his fantasy profile. Dare ain't James White or anything, either. 

1 minute ago, CooL said:

I agree with this, but basically he's like most any other back in the league then who is not a bellcow.  If he gets the majority of 1st and 2nd down work, in addition to goal line, then he will be valuable.  I'll be watching tonight and perhaps cursing myself for giving up too soon on him.

haha same, I just can't pull the trigger on him yet, he's a fa in my 8 team rn

• Like 1
Just now, 9amest said:

haha same, I just can't pull the trigger on him yet, he's a fa in my 8 team rn

8 team league?  You don't need to consider RoJo at all then.  I'm sure there's plenty of other options.

Rojo is getting all the hype, but in the end, all three backs did pretty much split the snaps.  Obviously that would need to change in order for him to be truly relevant as anything more than a flex play.

1 minute ago, CooL said:

8 team league?  You don't need to consider RoJo at all then.  I'm sure there's plenty of other options.

Rojo is getting all the hype, but in the end, all three backs did pretty much split the snaps.  Obviously that would need to change in order for him to be truly relevant as anything more than a flex play.

Dare isn't leading the backfield in snaps most weeks. They were trailing for much of the game. This is a solid team that should win 7-9 games so I believe in its ability to establish the run most weeks. RoJo just needs to knock one of these guys mostly out of the rotation. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Dare isn't leading the backfield in snaps most weeks. They were trailing for much of the game. This is a solid team that should win 7-9 games so I believe in its ability to establish the run most weeks. RoJo just needs to knock one of these guys mostly out of the rotation. 

I agree.

I watched that game last week and RJ looks like the most complete RB they have.  He looks like a totally different player from last year....Ran hard, made some good moves and I remember at least one nice play he made in the passing game that was nearly a TD reception. 

I don't really get the infatuation with Dare by the coaches but what do I know.  I wasn't really paying much attention to pass blocking so maybe he excels there.  It sure looks like RJ is a good enough receiver to be handling passing situations.  I'd probably only have Dare out there in third and long situations.

As for Barber...We know he is basically a JAG.  He's easily a guy that could move to backup/COP duties.

I've got Jones buried on my bench in a 14 teamer and would love to see him grab a hold of the backfield.  Frankly,  I think the Bucs offense needs him.  They can't survive on Winston's arm and really need a threat in the running game to emerge.  To my eyes, RJ is the only guy that could bring that threat.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I agree.

I watched that game last week and RJ looks like the most complete RB they have.  He looks like a totally different player from last year....Ran hard, made some good moves and I remember at least one nice play he made in the passing game that was nearly a TD reception. 

I don't really get the infatuation with Dare by the coaches but what do I know.  I wasn't really paying much attention to pass blocking so maybe he excels there.  It sure looks like RJ is a good enough receiver to be handling passing situations.  I'd probably only have Dare out there in third and long situations.

As for Barber...We know he is basically a JAG.  He's easily a guy that could move to backup/COP duties.

I've got Jones buried on my bench in a 14 teamer and would love to see him grab a hold of the backfield.  Frankly,  I think the Bucs offense needs him.  They can't survive on Winston's arm and really need a threat in the running game to emerge.  To my eyes, RJ is the only guy that could bring that threat.

The infatuation with Dare was from beat reporters, not Arians. Arians said from day 1 that it was a battle between Jones/Barber. He kept praising Jones and the beat reporters kept talking about Dare. 

Dare appears to be the best pass catcher out of the 3 so he has earned that role. But that doesn't mean Arians can't design a couple of screens a week for Jones that could net him some decent yardage. 

36 minutes ago, sSektor said:

I trust exactly 0% of what Arians says

I agree on trusting what he says but it is more than zero!  I'm in the same boat, that I will believe it when I see it.

But what I did see from his touches last week was some good stuff.  Maybe he caught the Derrick Henry bug and things started to click. Not everyone can hit the ground running in their rookie year and be a star.  Some WRs take 3-4 years to hit their groove.  Everyone always wants instant success and if they don't get it they write-off said player, never to draft/own them again.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Big Nate said:

I agree on trusting what he says but it is more than zero!  I'm in the same boat, that I will believe it when I see it.

But what I did see from his touches last week was some good stuff.  Maybe he caught the Derrick Henry bug and things started to click. Not everyone can hit the ground running in their rookie year and be a star.  Some WRs take 3-4 years to hit their groove.  Everyone always wants instant success and if they don't get it they write-off said player, never to draft/own them again.  

Couldn't of said it any better

> Bruce Arians coach speak

The man is too oLdScHooL to bench a seasoned vet like Barber unless he absolutely has to. Run blocking was great all night except when Jones got the ball lol

Edited by sSektor
  • Haha 1

Diarrhea. Drop. Garbage. This is why you don't trust running backs are garbage teams unless they're Saquon Barkley. 

I should have gone with my 10 year old wisdom of "don't start a running back who's on a horrible team and isn't an all-world talent" instead of my gut. Dumping this garbage pile so hopefully someone else will start him against me. 

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, sSektor said:

> Bruce Arians coach speak

The man is too oLdScHooL to bench a seasoned vet like Barber unless he absolutely has to. Run blocking was great all night except when Jones got the ball lol

Even when that vet is responsible for a safety and just lays down to the side of a defenders path so said defender can have a free shot at the QB? He junk. Play the talent. 

11 minutes ago, devaster said:

The last 3 pages or so didn't age well. Barber may be a JAG in some people's opinions, but Jones is worse. And Jones won't see a significant role this season without an injury to Barber.

Did you watch the game? Barber was mediocre all night, but still got the volume. Jones was tackled as soon as he got the ball on like every carry except one that he took 12 yards and wasn't seen the rest of the night. Really bizarre 

13 minutes ago, devaster said:

The last 3 pages or so didn't age well. Barber may be a JAG in some people's opinions, but Jones is worse. And Jones won't see a significant role this season without an injury to Barber.

Barber is garbage. Jones didn't get a chance. Poor coaching, garbage team. Unfortunately they won and the garbage coaching staff won't change anything. Let's thank the Panthers and Scam Newton for likely leading to another Jones as the 3rd option game coming up next week. 

Every year we see a running back (or 67) hindered by the awful coaching staff and team around him. Jones is the early season victim. 

1 minute ago, street sharks said:

Did you watch the game? Barber was mediocre all night, but still got the volume. Jones was tackled as soon as he got the ball on like every carry except one that he took 12 yards and wasn't seen the rest of the night. Really bizarre 

Did you watch the game? Run blocking was piss poor as usual. Barber have a number of nice runs and as usual generated yardage after contact and gained yards when nothing was there. Barber is a patient runner that rarely has a negative play. Arians loves that and isn't going to go to the impatient young guy. Blame the safety on Barber, but Kuechly ran through unblocked. Not many RB's in the league don't get tackled for a safety there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

Barber is garbage. Jones didn't get a chance. Poor coaching, garbage team. Unfortunately they won and the garbage coaching staff won't change anything. Let's thank the Panthers and Scam Newton for likely leading to another Jones as the 3rd option game coming up next week. 

Every year we see a running back (or 67) hindered by the awful coaching staff and team around him. Jones is the early season victim. 

Right... Jones is a victim now. This gets better and better. 🤣

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, devaster said:

Right... Jones is a victim now. This gets better and better. 🤣

I'm sure you were one crying about McKinnon not getting run infront of the plodfather in Minnesota. Bad coaches tend to continue their bad ways. 

That's my favorite part about the NFL: continuing to rehire coaches who failed on other teams. They have failed philosophies that lead to continued failure: like giving your best back in game 1 four carries. But they won the game so who cares, right? They beat a terrible Carolina team, but all is good cause we won, right?

Neither team deserved a win tonight. 

Just now, oliminator123 said:

I'm sure you were one crying about McKinnon not getting run infront of the plodfather in Minnesota. Bad coaches tend to continue their bad ways. 

That's my favorite part about the NFL: continuing to rehire coaches who failed on other teams. They have failed philosophies that lead to continued failure: like giving your best back in game 1 four carries. But they won the game so who cares, right? They beat a terrible Carolina team, but all is good cause we won, right?

Neither team deserved a win tonight. 

Yeah... McKinnon sure has lit up the league since getting away from Asiata. Zimmer seems to be doing just fine with Cook. Some guys just suck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, devaster said:

Yeah... McKinnon sure has lit up the league since getting away from Asiata. Zimmer seems to be doing just fine with Cook. Some guys just suck.

McKinnon is trash. I've said that since he was in Minnesota. Difference is Jones showed flashes of talent last game, and Assrians went away from him for no reason other than to control a game against a garbage Carolina team. Meanwhile TB won't finish above .500 or make the playoffs, so jokes on us for thinking this guy would be fantasy relevant. 

Down with repeat coaches. Once you're fired from an NFL team you should be barred from any future head coaching positions.