NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

14 minutes ago, Sternes said:

That list is a joke.

Wentz over Mahomes?

Jones over CMC?

Godwin over Allen?

Kittle has been blah and had a bye.  How is that even possible over guys like Waller, Dissly, Engram, or Kelce?

It does look like Jones job to lose and he looked good out there on Sunday.

PFF doesn't grade based on fantasy production. 

Obviously Jones isn't anywhere close to the best fantasy RB in the NFL. 

CMC doesn't need to be super efficient when he plays every down and gets fed the ball. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Owning RJ right now feels like watching your son blossom into a man right before your eyes 

Hey Ronald, let me give you a hand.

Why would Winston dump off when on any given play there’s anywhere between 7-11 players downfield to throw the ball to?

Posted Images

Just now, wideopen21 said:

PFF doesn't grade based on fantasy production. 

Obviously Jones isn't anywhere close to the best fantasy RB in the NFL. 

CMC doesn't need to be super efficient when he plays every down and gets fed the ball. 

I don't care how they grade.  Jones isn't on the radar as a top back through the first month.  You know how I know this? I have eyes.

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Sternes said:

That list is a joke.

Wentz over Mahomes?

Jones over CMC?

Godwin over Allen?

Kittle has been blah and had a bye.  How is that even possible over guys like Waller, Dissly, Engram, or Kelce?

It does look like Jones job to lose and he looked good out there on Sunday.

Go start a website.....perhaps www.SFF.com (Sternes Football Focus)

You can then put your highest graded players through week 4 out there, get clicks, and then sell fantasy advice!

Joking of course, point being is, that is PFF's "grading". Take it for what it's worth.

I think there is some value in it, but I'm not running my fantasy teams solely based on it, or based on anything other than me, myself and Irene - err, I.

PFF digs a little deeper than the standard black and white stats. So, I don't think they meant "these are the best fantasy scorers/players through week 4".

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Go start a website.....perhaps www.SFF.com (Sternes Football Focus)

You can then put your highest graded players through week 4 out there, get clicks, and then sell fantasy advice!

Joking of course, point being is, that is PFF's "grading". Take it for what it's worth.

I think there is some value in it, but I'm not running my fantasy teams solely based on it, or based on anything other than me, myself and Irene - err, I.

PFF digs a little deeper than the standard black and white stats. So, I don't think they meant "these are the best fantasy scorers/players through week 4".

I'm not grading on fantasy.  I've watched him play except for the TNF game, which turned out to be Barber's game.  He has looked better than last year, and better than Barber.  I'm not taking him CMC, Cook, or Chubb for starters.  Hell, Barkley's 3 games over his 4.  I'd take Mack, Jacobs, and Kamara as well from what I've seen this year.  That is just me warming up.  #1 this year from this month?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Sternes said:

I'm not grading on fantasy.  I've watched him play except for the TNF game, which turned out to be Barber's game.  He has looked better than last year, and better than Barber.  I'm not taking him CMC, Cook, or Chubb for starters.  Hell, Barkley's 3 games over his 4.  I'd take Mack, Jacobs, and Kamara as well from what I've seen this year.  That is just me warming up.  #1 this year from this month?

giphy.gif

I'm with ya!

They just want clicks and $$ at the end of the day.

BUT, there is some valuable info there regarding guys that are playing great but maybe haven't lit the world of fantasy on fire just yet.

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I'm with ya!

They just want clicks and $$ at the end of the day.

BUT, there is some valuable info there regarding guys that are playing great but maybe haven't lit the world of fantasy on fire just yet.

Right, nothing gets clicks like Ronald Jones. 

PFF grades every player on every play. The grades can take into account things that don't mean much for fantasy. 

I'd rather have middle of the pack talented RB that gets 25 touches over a more talented RB that gets 10 touches. So yeah, PFF grades standing alone aren't a good indicator of a players past fantasy production. What it can do is tell you what a player might look like in fantasy if he got a bigger workload. 

I want to see him catch 2 passes in a game once in his career, and then I’ll consider starting him. Until then, his floor is scary low. Right now, the best I can hope for is Derrick Henry 2.0, which I’d be happy with of course.

Edited by TennisDude
1 hour ago, TennisDude said:

I want to see him catch 2 passes in a game once in his career, and then I’ll consider starting him. Until then, his floor is scary low. Right now, the best I can hope for is Derrick Henry 2.0, which I’d be happy with of course.

Not everyone has the greatest options.  Especially for their flex if they are in 3 WR leagues.  Injuries/innefectiveness/a couple of bad draft choices will make Ronald Jones a flex starter on a LOT of teams out there.  I didnt even mention bye weeks....

Edited by Funkenstein
  • Like 2
46 minutes ago, Funkenstein said:

Not everyone has the greatest options.  Especially for their flex if they are in 3 WR leagues.  Injuries/innefectiveness/a couple of bad draft choices will make Ronald Jones a flex starter on a LOT of teams out there.  I didnt even mention bye weeks....

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. And he’s gone from a fearless puppy last season to pushing through those holes. I like it!

15 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

Right, nothing gets clicks like Ronald Jones. 

PFF grades every player on every play. The grades can take into account things that don't mean much for fantasy. 

I'd rather have middle of the pack talented RB that gets 25 touches over a more talented RB that gets 10 touches. So yeah, PFF grades standing alone aren't a good indicator of a players past fantasy production. What it can do is tell you what a player might look like in fantasy if he got a bigger workload. 

Exactly.  Last year James Conner was the highest graded RB in the preseason by PFF.  It gave me have a lot more confidence in playing him early in the season, whereas some might have considered him a JAG -- a controversial debate in last years Conner & Bell's threads.  Plus, things like blocking are also being evaluated, that's one of the reasons why Kittle is #1 on that PFF list.  It's not something that will help your fantasy team, but essential for real life football.  It stands to reason that Ronald Jones, since he is consistently outperforming Barber, will takeover the backfield.  If the PFF guys see it, the Coaches also see it too and have a lot more invested in playing whoever gives them the best chance to win.  This Tampa offense is putting up big points and the defense looks much improved.  Tampa will be playing with the lead much more than in past years and the RB production will be there once the roles are setttled. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

This is when we hear that he's getting the majority of the practice reps and then Arians ghosts his a$$ in the gameplan...

Saints really do snuff out the run with the best of them...

Agree about the Saints run defense being good.  But against the Bucs, they may be fine with Jones getting yards in the middle of the field while the focus on preventing big plays to Evans and Godwin.

Red flags are still all there. 

1. He hasn't done anything in the passing game, and has never shown that ability. 

2.Barber is still going to make this a committee, even if Jones is elevated to 1A, but...

3. Arians has repeatedly said this is going to be a hot hand approach at RB, so we don't know who's going to lead the backfield week to week. 

4. Dare is still the passing down back, further complicating matters. 

At the end of the day, he's still a TD or bust committee RB with an unknown workload week to week. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

1. He hasn't done anything in the passing game, and has never shown that ability. 

2.Barber is still going to make this a committee, even if Jones is elevated to 1A, but...

3. Arians has repeatedly said this is going to be a hot hand approach at RB, so we don't know who's going to lead the backfield week to week. 

At the end of the day, he's still a TD or bust committee RB with an unknown workload week to week. 

1. Agree here, there are still many reasons to temper expectations. This kind of thing can change in a week if he blows up, though. At that point you'll be looking backwards wishing you'd made a move.
  3. They don't all work out, but lotto tickets like these are what win championships.
10 minutes ago, TLBDS said:

1. Agree here, there are still many reasons to temper expectations. This kind of thing can change in a week if he blows up, though. At that point you'll be looking backwards wishing you'd made a move.
  3. They don't all work out, but lotto tickets like these are what win championships.

I guess I don't see how his skillset/situation can make him a league winner. His absolute ceiling is Jordan Howard. He can be the clear starter and lead back with Barber and Dare behind him, and he's an RB2 at best, and probably still a flex in PPR leagues. 

League winning RBs need a ton of volume. Jones isn't going to get it in the passing game, and I just don't see this pass happy offense suddenly having a true bellcow workhorse back. 

This is a good real life football player who's made huge strides, but still has limited fantasy appeal. 

Edited by ajs723
7 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Yet, targeted three times and has a 100% catch rate, averaging 23.7 yards per catch. Catches of 12, 18, and 41 yards.

Peyton Barber has 5 receptions on 8 targets and 5.2 yards per catch.

Dare doesn't complicate a thing. Nobody talk this bad about Kerryon Johnson or Derrick Henry? They killing in in the passing game or what? If you were expecting Arians to throw RoJo in the fire in the first half of the season, you were wrong. He had an injury in camp and preseason that held him back. I think everything is trending toward him being a reliable RB2/3 in the 2nd half of the season and nearly a good flex option now. And he will be more involved in the passing game. He's done nothing to warrant saying he lacks the ability. He's 100% successful when the ball has been thrown to him and he's produced major YAC.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I guess I don't see how his skillset/situation can make him a league winner. His absolute ceiling is Jordan Howard. He can be the clear starter and lead back with Barber and Dare behind him, and he's an RB2 at best, and probably still a flex in PPR leagues. 

League winning RBs need a ton of volume. Jones isn't going to get it in the passing game, and I just don't see this pass happy offense suddenly having a true bellcow workhorse back. 

This is a good real life football player who's made huge strides, but still has limited fantasy appeal. 

Easy cowboy, nobody ever said league-winning or bellcow. He's a good fantasy piece though. You can count bellcow RBs on your hands. There are 32 teams in the league and maybe a third have a bellcow RB. That means RB2s aren't typically bellcows.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

...1. He hasn't done anything in the passing game, and has never shown that ability. 

This is the big question: Can Jones provide enough value in the passing game to have the safe floor that is needed to be a guy you can really rely on?  If he's just a two-down hammer, his ceiling is capped around RB18.  If he can catch three passes a game, well, that changes things significantly.

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

Easy cowboy, nobody ever said league-winning or bellcow. He's a good fantasy piece though. You can count bellcow RBs on your hands. There are 32 teams in the league and maybe a third have a bellcow RB.

Agreed, right now, he's a possible flex option and a bye week fill in with the potential for more. Sometimes that's all a team needs for a guy to be a league winner.

Edited by wonderbread
3 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Easy cowboy, nobody ever said league-winning... 

19 minutes ago, TLBDS said:

They don't all work out, but lotto tickets like these are what win championships.

Riiight. Except he literally did. Like, in the post I was quoting. 

5 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

This is the big question: Can Jones provide enough value in the passing game to have the safe floor that is needed to be a guy you can really rely on?  If he's just a two-down hammer, his ceiling is capped around RB18.  If he can catch three passes a game, well, that changes things significantly.

Exactly. And I don't see it. I didn't see it in college, and I haven't seen it in the pros. He'll get a target here or there, but he's never going to be a pass catcher. 

If you disagree, then yes, he can be a league winner. I haven't seen any evidence to support the claim that he can somehow make that leap though.