NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

43 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Todd Gurley sophomore season

and yea my other point was just in response to the other guy about how he doesnt see much upside or potential, which i thought was a little short sighted after one season because scouts gave him a high grade for a reason, he does have skills and upside if it breaks right, if its late enough i will 100% be taking a risk with him on Arians offense hah complete dice roll tho

Nailed it.   One season and the vultures are circling.   They’re ready to declare him a bust and have a gif to prove it!!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Owning RJ right now feels like watching your son blossom into a man right before your eyes 

Hey Ronald, let me give you a hand.

Why would Winston dump off when on any given play there’s anywhere between 7-11 players downfield to throw the ball to?

Posted Images

I imagine his ADP will rise after camp to the 7th-8th.. would people still be willing to take him at that point over the high-upside handcuffs/1B's in possible timeshares (Penny, R Freeman, Latavius, Hunt)? I still think Jones has the by far the easiest path to a heavy workload, does that put him to the top of this group?

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

18 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

I think that's just where I disagree with most.  He has draft capital, but I never saw immense potential whatsoever.

Are we switching to a bust discussion or? i was merely saying he def has potential as many NFL scouts gave him high grades around the league and other evaluators as well for a reason, even if you do not see it, many more qualified (i assume haha) do see it was all i was sayin 

You can be drafted without having "immense" potential...

28 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Nailed it.   One season and the vultures are circling.   They’re ready to declare him a bust and have a gif to prove it!!  🤣

To be fair, I thought he was trash in college too

4 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

I imagine his ADP will rise after camp to the 7th-8th.. would people still be willing to take him at that point over the high-upside handcuffs/1B's in possible timeshares (Penny, R Freeman, Latavius, Hunt)? I still think Jones has the by far the easiest path to a heavy workload, does that put him to the top of this group?

IMO yes.   Very little interest in those backups unless I’m drafting the starter.    I’m also a big fan of Rojos USC tape, as well as the tea leaves about his 180 in attitude and work ethic from rookie season.   He’s a prime breakout candidate.   Snagging Barber later would be necessary in case I’m wrong.  

• Like 1
On 6/19/2019 at 9:52 PM, Sack Exchange said:

while i'm the first to admit that rashad penny faced second-rate talent when putting up outstanding numbers for san diego state, i've found that the eye-test is a solid factor when predicting NFL potential. from what i've seen of ronald jones and peyton barber, i don't think it's overboard to suggest the backfield is not limited to these two, with one of these guys guaranteed to emerge as RB1. bruce anderson could surprise, and i like the way he runs (and catches). and bruce arians and lefwich like andre ellington. you see two backs; i see four.

it takes a discerning eye but first you have to keep both eyes open; some solid NFL players came from nowhere schools:

danny woodhead attended chadron state (you don't even know where that is)
malcolm butler went to school in alabama, but it was western alabama university
big ben played college ball at miami... that's miami of ohio
khalil mack wreaked havoc as a buffalo bull (that's university of buffalo)
eastern illinois produced both tony romo and jimmy garoppolo

and carson wentz commanded the offense of north dakota state... the same program that produced bruce anderson...

You aren't really helping  your cause. You are pointing to a number of players that were taken high in the first round. They displayed elite level talent that the consensus thought would translate to the NFL. Anderson wasn't drafted for a reason and it's, as you pointed out, not because he went to a small school because like you illustrated small school players that are really good do get drafted high if they are good enough. 

Your guy, Anderson, played at the same school as Wentz and got plenty of exposure and every NFL team passed on him in the draft MULTIPLE times. 

The argument isn't that a small school kid can't make it. Of course they can. 

My point is that the success rate of any RB, or player at any position, from a small school that goes undrafted is near zero. That doesn't mean you won't get a random Malcolm Butler or Tony Romo, but if I'm a Jones/Barber owner I am not worried about Anderson any more than any other random RB on the Bucs roster. 

On 6/21/2019 at 6:57 AM, Impreza178 said:

Yeah... that isn't a fair comparison. Gurley exploded onto the scene his rookie season after recovering from the injury. Ronald Jones exploded all over the scene.

Jones' ADP will continue to rise and the history of the projected #1 RB in Tampa the last few seasons has been awful. Barber will end up being the value in the Tampa backfield.

On 6/21/2019 at 11:18 PM, wideopen21 said:

Anderson wasn't drafted for a reason and it's, as you pointed out, not because he went to a small school because like you illustrated small school players that are really good do get drafted high if they are good enough. 

Your guy, Anderson, played at the same school as Wentz and got plenty of exposure and every NFL team passed on him in the draft MULTIPLE times. 

Honest question, why wasn't Bruce Anderson drafted? 

giphy.gif

A quick google tells me they see him more as a return guy, too impatient to be a good NFL rusher?

Edited by Boudewijn
15 hours ago, devaster said:

Yeah... that isn't a fair comparison. Gurley exploded onto the scene his rookie season after recovering from the injury. Ronald Jones exploded all over the scene.

Jones' ADP will continue to rise and the history of the projected #1 RB in Tampa the last few seasons has been awful. Barber will end up being the value in the Tampa backfield.

Gurley is just a lot better at football than Ronald Jones too.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

I am in on all parts of this offense this year. Jones is obviously not Gurley but he is a lot more talented than Barber and Arians seems like a guy who will play his best players

By "more talented" you mean "faster" I take it?

50 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

but he is a lot more talented than Barbe

I thought that as well before the start of last season.  And Barber is pretty pedestrian himself.

Jones would have to show me a lot in pre-season to even take a stab on him.

1 hour ago, JoeJoe88 said:

I thought that as well before the start of last season.  And Barber is pretty pedestrian himself.

Jones would have to show me a lot in pre-season to even take a stab on him.

Just because Jones was a 2nd round draft pick and Barber went undrafted doesn't mean that Jones is more talented.  Is Jones faster?  Yes, he clearly is but Barber is the more complete back.  Jones showed hands of stone last season dropping several screen passes in practice and in preseason and regular season games.  Barber just needs better blocking because he was met in the backfield as soon as he was given the ball far too many times last season.

3 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Based on what?

6 hours ago, dogfightgiggle said:

By "more talented" you mean "faster" I take it?

Barber may very well prove to be the better back but there was a reason Jones was a 2nd round pick. Speed is part of it but so is elusiveness, big play ability and potential in the passing game which could be crucial in a Bruce Arians offense based on what I saw in Arizona. But overall, I think for this upside, Jones is more worthy of a flier than Barber. Who knows though. I do figure that one of these guys will be pretty valuable with how I imagine that offense to work and right now I lean Jones

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

He's not a good receiving back, though.  Never really has been.  

Neither is Peyton Barber who is his only legitimate competition at this point. Some here are acting as if this is a competition between Jones and David Johnson. 

Jones is still only 21 and perhaps can learn to be a better pass catching back. 

Jones may be a stone cold bust. I don't think we can rule that out, but he was a 2nd round pick and is probably  behind the worst RB#1 in the NFL.  That makes him very intriguing. I'd rather have Ronald Jones than most RBS currently listed as backups. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Jones may be a stone cold bust. I don't think we can rule that out, but he was a 2nd round pick and is probably behind the worst RB#1 in the NFL.  That makes him very intriguing. I'd rather have Ronald Jones than most RBS currently listed as backups. 

This doesn't exactly help your argument.  Remember, he couldn't even get any playing time last year behind " probably the worst RB#1 in the NFL".  He can't catch, his vision is Trent-esque, he doesn't create any yards for himself.  Getting what is blocked and playing behind possibly the worst run blocking o-line in the league isn't a good combination.

Your point about neither Barber nor Jones being a good pass catcher is exactly why I think other RB's do get involved.  Arians brought in Bruce Anderson and Andre Ellington, probably because they can both catch very well.  I can see a full blown RBBC herr regardless of what Arians has done in the past.

I already view Ellington as the default 3rd down and pass-catching back in the offense. It won't be Jones or Barber. So then it comes down to who you think will be the better back running the ball on early downs and grabbing GL plunges.

In that scenario give me the cheaper one. Jones' stock is rising. Barber is under the radar.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, devaster said:

I already view Ellington as the default 3rd down and pass-catching back in the offense. It won't be Jones or Barber. So then it comes down to who you think will be the better back running the ball on early downs and grabbing GL plunges.

In that scenario give me the cheaper one. Jones' stock is rising. Barber is under the radar.

Maybe.  He’s still got to beat out @Sack Exchange favorite player Bruce Anderson.  👀

Edited by Impreza178
3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Maybe.  He’s still got to beat out @FollowTheLeader favorite player Bruce Anderson.  👀

Fail.

I have never in the history of this message board mentioned the name, Bruce Anderson.

In the future, I’d advise you spend a bit more time doing your research, prior to attempting to throw a fellow user under the bus. 

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, devaster said:

Anyway.....  agree with this.    Barber is a steal in the double digit rounds as a starting rb.    Jones is the high upside 2nd round pick.   Both of them are very cheap considering Arians’ proven offensive chops.    Ellington likely gets the COP/ reserve role-  but Anderson is better on ST so I can’t entirely dismiss that either.