NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

29 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

This doesn't exactly help your argument.  Remember, he couldn't even get any playing time last year behind " probably the worst RB#1 in the NFL".  He can't catch, his vision is Trent-esque, he doesn't create any yards for himself.  Getting what is blocked and playing behind possibly the worst run blocking o-line in the league isn't a good combination.

Your point about neither Barber nor Jones being a good pass catcher is exactly why I think other RB's do get involved.  Arians brought in Bruce Anderson and Andre Ellington, probably because they can both catch very well.  I can see a full blown RBBC herr regardless of what Arians has done in the past.

If Arians was really concerned you think he would have brought in more than 2 running backs off the street.

Ellington was out of football last year and Anderson went undrafted. Of course, that doesn't mean they can't get significant playing time but that isn't a ton to invest in building up a position you think is weak.

If you were running a team and had Peyton Barber and Trent Richardson (as you referred to Jones) wouldn't you draft a RB or sign one of the higher end RBs that were available? Forget Bell who was too pricey. Guys like Ingram/Coleman/Ware/Murray/Hyde all went for pennies on the dollar. Some of those guys went for near league minimums (1-2 million on 1 year deals). 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Owning RJ right now feels like watching your son blossom into a man right before your eyes 

Hey Ronald, let me give you a hand.

Why would Winston dump off when on any given play there’s anywhere between 7-11 players downfield to throw the ball to?

Posted Images

Depends on team philosophy. The passing offenses have exploded the last couple seasons. Arians may not value a high draft pick at RB and was content with what he had. The Bucs had many more holes to fill than RB. He had CJ2K on his last legs for a couple seasons and tried Ellington as a feature back one season. David Johnson was a 3rd round pick making the transition to RB.

Just because the Bucs and Arians didn't go out and draft a RB doesn't mean they are content with what they have.

57 minutes ago, devaster said:

Wrong user. It was @Sack Exchange and it was with heavy sarcasm.

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Maybe.  He’s still got to beat out @Sack Exchange favorite player Bruce Anderson.  👀

obviously you didn't read my posts fully: i'm stating that bruce anderson is a 3-down back who will out-produce todd gurley this year and should be drafted in the early 2nd round, that peyton barber's and ronald jones' season total together will not approach half of bruce anderson's points during the first half of the first week. in PPR.

i'm not saying and never said that those who view the backfield in TB as a two-man battle for the bellcow position is narrow-minded, that anderson may have a role, that ellington was acquired for a reason by a coach who favors him and will have a role, that we very well may see some sort of committee. in tampa.

that should be clear.

giphy.gif  

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

If you were running a team and had Peyton Barber and Trent Richardson (as you referred to Jones) wouldn't you draft a RB or sign one of the higher end RBs that were available?

Not when your defense is bottom of the barrel

4 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

They drafted a kicker this year. So not sure that argument holds.

They also drafted a kicker in the 2nd round after trading up a few years ago as well.

3 hours ago, devaster said:

Same staff drafted both in the 2nd.

Isn't this the same staff that drafted Jeremy McNichols in the 5th round then cut him after training camp?

The Athletic's Greg Auman said Peyton Barber is "certainly likely" to finish with more yards than Ronald Jones.

Multiple reports have surfaced this offseason that Jones was progressing in his second season after being a second-round pick. But Auman appears to be less optimistic. Jones averaged 1.9 yards on just 23 carries as a rookie and has never had pass-catching production dating back to his years at USC. Training camp and preseason work will determine who ultimately starts, but it's hard to be bullish on either back right now.

RELATED: 
Jun 30, 2019, 2:24 PM ET

😏
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

The Athletic's Greg Auman said Peyton Barber is "certainly likely" to finish with more yards than Ronald Jones.

Multiple reports have surfaced this offseason that Jones was progressing in his second season after being a second-round pick. But Auman appears to be less optimistic. Jones averaged 1.9 yards on just 23 carries as a rookie and has never had pass-catching production dating back to his years at USC. Training camp and preseason work will determine who ultimately starts, but it's hard to be bullish on either back right now.

RELATED: 
Jun 30, 2019, 2:24 PM ET

😏

BREAKING NEWS: It's "certainly likely" the starting RB last year will get more yards than the rookie that had a rough year last year.

How much does the Athletic charge these days for that sort of insider information?

Even the most optimistic Jones fans assume Jones isn't the current #1 RB on the Bucs depth chart. The question is whether he can unseat Barber in camp or at some point in the season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

BREAKING NEWS: It's "certainly likely" the starting RB last year will get more yards than the rookie that had a rough year last year.

Even the most optimistic Jones fans assume Jones isn't the current #1 RB on the Bucs depth chart. The question is whether he can unseat Barber in camp or at some point in the season. 

Apparently you haven't read this thread...

25 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

How much does the Athletic charge these days for that sort of insider information?

last august, the same writer printed, "I’m betting these four preseason games will be long forgotten after Jones hits his stride in the regular season." so, greg auman's prescience is questionable.

but regarding your question, the athletic charges $8 per month.

regarding your unasked question, where does the athletic find writers?, it's worth noting that they take beat writers and turn them into staff writers. so while it seems that you're reading  unbiased sports journalism, you're actually reading a nationally published online magazine that gathers local beat information into one source.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Apparently you haven't read this thread...

I got lost somewhere around Jeremy McNichols and Aguayo...The pointless non comps who have ZERO to do with whether Jones can ball.  

Teams miss on more picks than they hit...

5 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

last august, the same writer printed, "I’m betting these four preseason games will be long forgotten after Jones hits his stride in the regular season." so, greg auman's prescience is questionable.

but regarding your question, the athletic charges $8 per month.

regarding your unasked question, where does the athletic find writers?, it's worth noting that they take beat writers and turn them into staff writers. so while it seems that you're reading  unbiased sports journalism, you're actually reading a nationally published online magazine that gathers local beat information into one source.

Good point.   And I can’t speak for every market,  but the Denver beats they scooped are bottom of the barrel.   Nicki Jabala (sp?)  is garbage.  

Edited by Impreza178
3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Good point.   And I can’t speak for every market,  but the Denver beats they scooped are bottom of the barrel.   Nicki Jabala (sp?)  is garbage. 

it's been going on for a while. there are some reliable beat writers in this world, but all in all it's a job with inherent bias. there was one guy in green bay who i loved (name escapes me) because he was skeptical and critical, but after two decades moved to out of wisconsin a couple of years ago. https://deadspin.com/holy-s----the-athletic-just-swiped-a-bunch-of-nfl-beat-1828460626

so all in all, we fantasy footballers must sift through fake news, bias, unreliable sources, and an internet of show-me-i'm-right.com, where if you simply search enough you'll find someone who agrees with you. all the more reason that for me, there is one measurable data source that stands above all: the eye-test in watching football. great that this source of data is also the funnest.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

I got lost somewhere around Jeremy McNichols and Aguayo...The pointless non comps who have ZERO to do with whether Jones can ball.  

I get lost at why people think Jones can ball

2 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

I get lost at why people think Jones can ball

There are no "experts." I remember when everyone said Freeman was a pile of crap, but I made my own decision and drafted him anyways. Take into account everything you in on this forum, but make your own decisions.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Could Jones have looked more useless in the playing time he's gotten so far? Tampa is ripe for a young back to step up and take over but he was a trash can when they actually allowed him on the field in 2019. Almost off my radar, except in extremely deep formats. Even his current ADP all the way back in the 10th round seems like a joke. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

Could Jones have looked more useless in the playing time he's gotten so far? Tampa is ripe for a young back to step up and take over but he was a trash can when they actually allowed him on the field in 2019. Almost off my radar, except in extremely deep formats. Even his current ADP all the way back in the 10th round seems like a joke. 

You might miss out my dude.