NBC Sports Edge Forums

LA Lakers 2019-2020 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2020 season will be locked on 2020-10-14. Please finish any 2020 discussions here, and take any 2021 outlook discussions to the 2021 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season 2020 automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2021.]

On 1/25/2020 at 9:14 PM, Semitar said:

Excellent write up Cortez.

1. What type of offensive strategy should the Lakers consider implementing your proposed #3 given that AD doesn't want to play center?

2. How important do you think it is for the Lakers to have a consistent 3rd scorer? Or do you think that can address this by changing their strategy for a more balanced contribution from the rest of the team? I say this because the Bucks arguably don't have a solid #2 option in Middleton, but they seem to be doing well in the East.

3. What do you think are some adjustments that the Lakers can make to take away the edge of good defensive teams with good wing defenders?

1. I don't believe that AD has to play center for them to implement that strategy more. I've seen games where they've had him at the 4, and have fed him the ball consistently on the baseline and near the elbow. That seems to be when he's most effective. He's too big and too tall to consistently guard each and every possession. I think back to his 40-point explosion earlier this year where he did it in like 3 quarter? People can't stop him consistently. He's got a nice jumper, he's got the strength to back someone down, he's got the length and speed to get to the basket easy...For them to only set that kind of play up 2-3 times a game, is an absolute crime.

Realistically, AD should be going to the FT line a minimum of 8-10 times a night.

2. I believe it just needs to be good team basketball. We've gotten to a point in the NBA where it's all about having 1-2 main scorers, accompanied by 3 and D players and maybe a stretch center. I think obviously, it would be nice if they had a consistent 3rd scorer. But that has yet to come, and likely won't come any time soon. People say "I wish they kept Ingram"...Ingram wouldn't have made that same leap in LA as he has done in NOP. People very rarely grow when they're with LeBron. Moreso, they try to adapt. And Ingram definitely wouldn't have grown with both LeBron and AD, let alone just LBJ. Kuzma now fits in the same scenario. He will never grow as long as LBJ and AD are on the team. At best, he can maybe become a 15-16 PPG kind of guy, but I think realistically, you're not going to see a much better version of Kuzma than you see now, until he's shipped out of LA. In fact, I actually believe he's taken a step back this year, which is unfortunate.

3. Unfortunately, I don't know if there are any GREAT adjustments that the Lakers can make with their current roster construction. Like many teams, the Lakers are the best when they work off fast breaks and push the pace off of defensive rebounds. This is an adjustment that seems to make the most sense, as when you've got LBJ leading a charge on a fast break, it's almost impossible to guard that. Ball movement is key. But unfortunately, KCP, Danny Green, Avery Bradley...All of them are players who can't make their own shots.

But pushing the pace, getting the ball to AD inside the arc seem like the two things I would focus on the most if I were the Lakers, to try and offset the halfcourt defenses.

23 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

The Grizzlies still holding Andre Iguodala for ransom. Smh.

And the grizzlies are AWESOME for doing this. I think all of these contenders thought that MEM would just roll over and give up Iggy for nothing, but they know the value of him. If someone wants him, they're going to have to pay a little something for him.

Edited by CORTEz
  • Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Lakers remind me of a Fantasy auction draft in which an owner blows about $168 out of a $200 budget on two top 5 superstars, then steps back for a while, with the hope to grab one or 2 medium valu

Been following basketball since the very early 90s/late 80s. Some teams have had 0 competitive teams realistic to win a championship in that entire time frame.  If you win 1 championship, every move t

The quotes from this thread by some will never be lived down unfortunately.      

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I havent read anything about a make-up game vs. the clippers being scheduled. Anyone have any insight on when the make up game might be? Could mean huge fantasy implications if LeBron gets another game during one of the playoff weeks (for me at least). 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie
4 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I havent read anything about a make-up game vs. the clippers being scheduled. Anyone have any insight on when the make up game might be? Could mean huge fantasy implications if LeBron gets another game during one of the playoff weeks (for me at least). 

The Clippers and Lakers can have their third encounter of the season either on February 19 or April 10. The Staples Center is also free from any other commitments during those dates. The Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League, who also call Staples their home, do not have scheduled home games during that stretch. Most likely April 10th which won't help for most.

Edited by DezedandConfused
  • Like 1
  • 7 months later...
On 6/21/2019 at 7:08 AM, Jake the snake said:

In Toronto we don't deal in 2nd round exits

#WeTheChamps

This aged well.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:54 AM, Gile Pile said:

May as well start this to keep AD thread clean from discussing  LA Lakers off season strategy.

For all your entertainment needs, Lakers fans overreacting, Lakers being 2nd seed in the  West and visit

For 2019/2020 season,  I think that 3rd star is not coming this year, except maybe Butler or Cousins. 

If that happens bring your popcorn and get ready for   day time TV from Lakers locker room.

Lakers are most likely to overpay for solid role players (Rozier  comes to mind) and end up being a solid team with conference semifinals ceiling 

On 6/21/2019 at 11:12 AM, Gile Pile said:

That was prime LBJ. Where are Miami and Cavs now?

Lakers got 35 year old coming back from the first major injury in his career, no draft picks for the foreseeable  future and no cap space to build roster capable of winning championship around LBJ and AD. 

Looks like another 5 years without championship in Lakers land

On 6/21/2019 at 12:25 PM, Gile Pile said:

Every NBA champion in last 20+ years was at least 7-8 deep. Usually 2 or 3 stars with 5-6 very good players.

Kobe and Shaq  teams had Fisher, Fox, Horry, Harper, Shaw...

Philly team had Iverson and Eric Snow.  Indy had Reggie Miller and Mark Jackson ...

When Cavs won,  they had LBJ, Irving, Love

Miami teams had LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Battier, Mike Miller, Ray Allen...

Lakers current roster has 2 stars and 1  good player.   I don't see how they can build a deep roster (must have imo) to be a real contender.

Lakers currently have 2 starters LBJ and AD, Kuzma of the bench (he should be 6th man imo) and no other players that I can remember without using Google.

LBJ and AD cannot play 48 minutes, good luck winning it all with 35 year old LBJ and "ironman' AD  against any deep playoff team that can wear you down. 

These posts aged like a white woman.

Should be a crime to be this dumb.

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

This aged well.

Gile Pile contributes meaningful analysis in other threads and I respect him for that. He knows what he's talking about for fantasy purposes. However, for some reason, he always posts negative hate about the Lakers and goes out of his way to degrade and belittle them. Why? Who knows. But he's easily the biggest Laker hater there is on this sub. He doesn't even try to hide his hate for them. He hates LeBron and he hates the Lakers. This one has gotta be real tough to swallow after seeing his Raptors lose to Boston and his dream team Flippers lose in the 2nd round. And I'm so here for it!

• Thanks 2

First, I need to let you know that English is not my first language and I might not understand all the language nuances and their meanings.

And despite my better judgement I am going to respond:

First,

On 10/3/2020 at 1:41 AM, GriffeySwag said:

@GriffeySwag  I find this to be extremely misogynist and racist.  If I am mistaken, please explain  to me why it isn't (either here or via direct message).

And second,

On 10/3/2020 at 1:41 AM, GriffeySwag said:

I would rather be dumb than you. For reasons why, see above.

If I get banned/suspended from this forums for calling out racist and misogynist  stuff, so be it.

I don't mind when people react and comment on my posts (regardless if I was right or wrong),  that is the best part of this forums.

Also, I was clearly wrong about Lakers this season (on the side note I wish we could have seen Clippers-Lakers series, it would have been a good one).

• Haha 1
On 10/3/2020 at 6:12 AM, RedRaider27 said:

Gile Pile contributes meaningful analysis in other threads and I respect him for that. He knows what he's talking about for fantasy purposes. However, for some reason, he always posts negative hate about the Lakers and goes out of his way to degrade and belittle them. Why? Who knows. But he's easily the biggest Laker hater there is on this sub. He doesn't even try to hide his hate for them. He hates LeBron and he hates the Lakers. This one has gotta be real tough to swallow after seeing his Raptors lose to Boston and his dream team Flippers lose in the 2nd round. And I'm so here for it!

These playoffs have been Gile Pile's worst nightmare. Everything that could have gone wrong for him, did. Everything he predicted would happen, didn't. What's weird about his situation is that he isn't even from Boston. Laker hatred of his magnitude is reserved for Bostonians only. The Lakers have no rivals other than the Celtics, especially not his Raptors who are about to spend another 30 years mired in mediocrity.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kaboom said:

These playoffs have been Gile Pile's worst nightmare. Everything that could have gone wrong for him, did. Everything he predicted would happen, didn't. What's weird about his situation is that he isn't even from Boston. Laker hatred of his magnitude is reserved for Bostonians only. The Lakers have no rivals other than the Celtics, especially not his Raptors who are about to spend another 30 years mired in mediocrity.  

These finals are the NBA'S worst nightmare. Game 1 down 45% from last year and lowest game 1 ratings in history. Game 2 down 70%!!!!! From last years game 2 and the lowest rated finals game in NBA history. 

And griffys post was racist, misogynistic and needlessly insulting to GilePile. If it was said against black women instead of white women it would have been an instaban and  IP ban. Fairness and equality they call it. Ha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Kaboom said:

Agree with everything you said except the last part. Raptors are very well run and if they keep Masai Ujiri around they will be contenders in the East for awhile. Kawhi made a big mistake coming to the Flippers, he could've ran the East like LeBron did for all those years and put himself in position win titles easier than he does now. Now Kawhi has to go through the West and play multiple great teams to do it. Not saying he won't ever win but his path was a lot easier and come playoff time, I'm taking Lowry and Toronto's bench over Wayoff P and the Flippers' bench.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

First, I need to let you know that English is not my first language and I might not understand all the language nuances and their meanings.

And despite my better judgement I am going to respond:

First,

@GriffeySwag  I find this to be extremely misogynist and racist.  If I am mistaken, please explain  to me why it isn't (either here or via direct message).

And second,

I would rather be dumb than you. For reasons why, see above.

If I get banned/suspended from this forums for calling out racist and misogynist  stuff, so be it.

I don't mind when people react and comment on my posts (regardless if I was right or wrong),  that is the best part of this forums.

Also, I was clearly wrong about Lakers this season (on the side note I wish we could have seen Clippers-Lakers series, it would have been a good one).

4 hours ago, Rainsford said:

These finals are the NBA'S worst nightmare. Game 1 down 45% from last year and lowest game 1 ratings in history. Game 2 down 70%!!!!! From last years game 2 and the lowest rated finals game in NBA history. 

And griffys post was racist, misogynistic and needlessly insulting to GilePile. If it was said against black women instead of white women it would have been an instaban and  IP ban. Fairness and equality they call it. Ha. 

tenor.gif

image.png

Edited by GriffeySwag
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

One thing I will give Gile credit for regarding the Lakers, he was right about Danny Green. You nailed that one on the head 100%.

Unfortunate that on the last possession Lakers had Green and Kieff handle the ball. I gotta give credit though to Jimmy Buckets, he was going head to head with LeBron and even made a 3! (24% in reg season) Lakers will close it out next game.

3 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

Unfortunate that on the last possession Lakers had Green and Kieff handle the ball. I gotta give credit though to Jimmy Buckets, he was going head to head with LeBron and even made a 3! (24% in reg season) Lakers will close it out next game.

Jimmy was spectacular. Him and Bron going back and forth trading buckets was so much fun to watch. Unfortunate that the ball found Green as he is shooting with no confidence right now but that's the way it is I suppose. Overall, I like what Vogel has done the whole season with rotations, adjustments, and playing time but putting Green in there on that last play was stupid. Morris made a bad pass but had the right idea. Just got too excited in the heat of the moment. Tough loss but I agree that the Lakers close it out tomorrow.

On 6/27/2019 at 5:07 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Yes, who knows what the Lakers will be in 5 years.  I think you can say that about literally any team. Feels quite irrelevant with the Lakers now walking into the 19/20 season with AD/Lebron and cap space to sign a max player or fill it out with a few decent ones.  Seems like a very good position to be in this year. That's kinda all that matters.  Not sure how many teams will have a better shot to win than that. Seems like that numbers should be no higher than 4, and perhaps less. Is anyone confident without a shadow of a doubt that the Pelicans will be a top 4 contending team soon? If so what year and guarantee it?

Yep, LOL to anyone who thought the Lakers gave up too much in that trade. It's irrelevant now. 1 championship justifies ANY move to get it.  Big L for a lot of people in this thread, same as usual when it comes to Lebron.  

Oh no...the Lakers might not be good in 5 years!  🤡

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
On 6/25/2019 at 2:49 PM, Gile Pile said:

Good luck  transforming  Lakers into NBA championship team. I hope I am still alive when that happens

The quotes from this thread by some will never be lived down unfortunately.

tenor.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 6/21/2019 at 9:47 AM, Gile Pile said:

Looking at long term perspective, LBJ has screwed every franchise he has played for.

On 6/21/2019 at 11:12 AM, Gile Pile said:

That was prime LBJ. Where are Miami and Cavs now?

Lakers got 35 year old coming back from the first major injury in his career, no draft picks for the foreseeable  future and no cap space to build roster capable of winning championship around LBJ and AD. 

Looks like another 5 years without championship in Lakers land

UP UP and AWAY!! SUPER WASHED Ain’t He??!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤷🏾‍♂️. Stay low and keep firing! The air up there is a tad bit different. LIVE.LAUGH.LOVE #striveforgreatness🚀 #thekidfromakron👑 #jamesgang👑 #bronknows

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2019-2020 LeBron Revenge Tour complete! 

Special shout out to all the haters that said we couldn't do it, that said this team wasn't good enough, that we gave up too much for AD, that Bron was washed, etc. etc. etc. Through all the hate we got another ring and will be hanging banner 17 soon!

This one's for Kobe, RIP Legend!!!!! Your legacy lives on forever!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yep, LOL to anyone who thought the Lakers gave up too much in that trade. It's irrelevant now. 1 championship justifies ANY move to get it.  Big L for a lot of people in this thread, same as usual when it comes to Lebron.  

Oh no...the Lakers might not be good in 5 years!  🤡

Magic Johnson plans to hug Lakers after NBA trade deadline : nba

Here's my two cents on everything regarding LBJ, AD and the Lakers this season.

For those saying "shoutout to all the haters who said we couldn't do it"...From many peoples' standpoints, it didn't come from a "you couldn't do it" standpoint, it was from a "nobody want's you to do it" mindset. Laker fans are some of the most bias fans, (if not the most bias'd basketball fans in the entire league). And that's part of the reason why a good portion of the NBA fan population hate the Los Angeles Lakers franchise in general...Aside from the fact that they are a "big-market" team like the Yankees, and their answer to everything is to "buy and sell" players.

But getting off that topic and onto the actual playoffs...

This was single-handedly one of the easiest Finals runs in NBA history...And any Laker fan, or heck, NBA fan, saying that it wasn't is clearly misguided and/or biased. And it's one of the reasons why LBJ (in my opinion), will never topple MJ in the "Great Debate" over who is the GOAT.

Let's start from scratch.

LAL go out and get Anthony Davis. And they give up practically every one of their top draft picks from the previous 3 years except Kuzma. People say "aghhhh the lakers gave up too much...Wahhhhhhhh".....No they didnt. They went out, gave up Lonzo Ball (who the heck cares), Josh Hart (again, who cares), and Brandon Ingram (nice piece, but was totally unproven at that standpoint) and the draft picks...But what did they get in return?

There are 4 players in the NBA that I would categorize as "otherworldly", and are essentially just "cheat codes" in the NBA.

• LeBron James
  • Giannis
  • Kevin Durant (when healthy)
  • Anthony Davis

And what do all 4 of these players have in common? They are all 6'9 or taller, and are players who defy the laws of nature. Players who either have some kind of abnormal body type, whether super lengthy, super strong, super gifted as shooters, or sometimes, all of the above. They are players who if you looked at them height-wise, you'd say "ok, this guy is a PF, or he's a C)...And yet they all can play multiple positions, including PG.

So what did the Lakers do? They already had the best player in the NBA, (and in that group of cheat codes)...and they went out and got arguably the 2nd-best "cheat code" player in the NBA. Really, the only thing the Lakers had to worry about is injury...

So you've got the Lakers. They have cheat code players in LeBron (who is arguably playing his best basketball....in his 18th season in the league, not even including playoff runs) and Anthony Davis, a guy who can shoot from anywhere on the floor, can run the floor like a PG, who can block shots and play defense like a shot-blocking center...

Really...All the lakers had to do after that was find pieces. And all they had to do was find cheap pieces. And they did.

• Playoff Rondo - guy doesn't do anything during the regular season, but then decides to start playing when it matters..
  • Danny Green - you can hate all you want, but the dudes won championships on 3 different teams and you were happy when the lakers got him.
  • Avery Bradley - lockdown defender who didn't even play in the bubble...had he played, the Lakers probably would've swept everyone.
  • Dwight Howard - another "ex all-star", who...all LBJ had to do, was turn him into a rim protector and an "alley-oop" specialist.

And that's all you needed...Couple in the fact that Kentavious Caldwell-Pope suddenly decided he was going to play well. No 1 in their right minds thought that the Lakers were going to lose during the playoffs. Really the only possible speed bump would've been the Clippers...but we all know how that went.

This was by far, one of the easiest final runs ever. And the fact that the Heat, who lost 2 of their Top 3 players for multiple games....actually came out and beat the Lakers not once, but twice, with the core of Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, Andre Iguodala, and two rookies....

Now on to the LeBron vs Jordan debate...

For me, it's not even close... LBJ will never be greater than Michael. And the evidence is simple:

1. LeBron James has never, ever, won a championship by himself, or...at the very minimum, won a championship by himself with "home-grown talent"...Whether you're a LBJ hater or lover...LBJ has needed someone every time to help him win a ship...From his "I'm taking my talents to South Beach with Wade and Bosh", to "heading back home" to Cleveland, but with Kyrie (who never would've been on the Cavs had LeBron never left) and Kevin Love...Now to the Lakers and him having to get Anthony Davis...the guy has never done it by himself...I think of teams like the Mavericks, who came into MIA with Dirk Nowitzki and a bunch of aging veterans in Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, DeShawn Stevenson, Tyson Chandler, and Shawn Marion....And stuck it to LBJ and his "super-team". That's how you become one of the greats. You defy odds. You can ask yourself, "in the last 10 years, aside from his first season in LAL, when has LeBron James been not favored to win the ship or at least make it to the finals?" Not once. And that reason alone is the reason he will never supplant MJ as the greatest of all-time.

2. LeBron James is the biggest whiner of all time...Have you ever watched a Laker game? Or a Heat game when he was there? or a Cavs game?....The guy bitches and complains about everythingggggggg. I wish I could just do a Finals video of him complaining...It would probably be longer than a highlights clip of him scoring. Every time he misses a shot near the basket, he's complaining. Any time someone else on his team takes a contested shot, he's complaining. Any time he bulldozes someone and gets called for a charge, he's complaining. If the ref says the ball hit off of LBJ's foot, he's complaining. If the ball isn't pumped up correctly....you guessed it....he's complaining. I've NEVER seen a player with such star-power, complain as much as LBJ complains. It's like nothing he does is wrong. He's apparently never committed a foul in his life, nor has any of his teammates. The ball is never out on him, it was out on the player at half court. Do you remember MJ crying every play? Let's even compare him to present-day NBA. Do you see Kawhi Leonard or Kevin Durant crying about every play?

3. LeBron James makes himself hateable...whether he does it willingly or unknowingly. From his flopping days while on the Heat...or him getting elbowed by Tristan Thompson and trying to sell it as if he got hit by an opposing player...to him always having to "team up" with someone....Michael didn't go to Charles Barkley or Karl Malone and say "hey...let's team up". One additional reason as to why I believe so many people hate LeBron James, despite his greatness....The guy acts as if he's above everyone else. He's cocky, sells his teammates who he finds worthless down the river, shady behind-the-scenes, cries during every single game....

LBJ literally flexes every time he scores on a smaller player...He gets mad, puts on his "I'm going to act like I'm pissed off" face...scores on a 6'2 180 lb guy like Tyler Herro...and then FLEXES, as if he just dunked on someone who was two times the size of him...Did you really just FLEX on a 6'2 180 lb twig because he nicked your arm while you went up for a layup in transition? It's like...dude...you're a human cheat code...like who else has your body type? 6'9...260 lbs of pure muscle...you look like the "final boss" at the end of a video game. And you're FLEXIN on a guy who's almost 100 lbs lighter than you?

So that was more like 5 cents...or maybe a whole dollar...

For the record, I am not discrediting anything LeBron has done from a "basketball IQ" or talent perspective. LeBron James, in my opinion, will go down as the 2nd best player in NBA history. He's uber-talented. He's gifted. He's smart. But for me...the reasons above are the reasons why I believe he will never leap Jordan in that conversation. And I'm from LeBron's generation, not Michael's. There are too many personality traits that people deem negative for him to jump MJ.

Los Angeles Lakers fans, enjoy the ship. It was an extremely easy road, whether you want to admit it or not. Next year will tell us a lot...With the Clippers, a healthy Warriors team, and many off-season trades likely to happen.

Edited by CORTEz
  • Haha 4
10 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Here's my two cents on everything regarding LBJ, AD and the Lakers this season.

For those saying "shoutout to all the haters who said we couldn't do it"...From many peoples' standpoints, it didn't come from a "you couldn't do it" standpoint, it was from a "nobody want's you to do it" mindset. Laker fans are some of the most bias fans, (if not the most bias'd basketball fans in the entire league). And that's part of the reason why a good portion of the NBA fan population hate the Los Angeles Lakers franchise in general...Aside from the fact that they are a "big-market" team like the Yankees, and their answer to everything is to "buy and sell" players.

But getting off that topic and onto the actual playoffs...

This was single-handedly one of the easiest Finals runs in NBA history...And any Laker fan, or heck, NBA fan, saying that it wasn't is clearly misguided and/or biased. And it's one of the reasons why LBJ (in my opinion), will never topple MJ in the "Great Debate" over who is the GOAT.

Let's start from scratch.

LAL go out and get Anthony Davis. And they give up practically every one of their top draft picks from the previous 3 years except Kuzma. People say "aghhhh the lakers gave up too much...Wahhhhhhhh".....No they didnt. They went out, gave up Lonzo Ball (who the heck cares), Josh Hart (again, who cares), and Brandon Ingram (nice piece, but was totally unproven at that standpoint) and the draft picks...But what did they get in return?

There are 4 players in the NBA that I would categorize as "otherworldly", and are essentially just "cheat codes" in the NBA.

• LeBron James
  • Giannis
  • Kevin Durant (when healthy)
  • Anthony Davis

And what do all 4 of these players have in common? They are all 6'9 or taller, and are players who defy the laws of nature. Players who either have some kind of abnormal body type, whether super lengthy, super strong, super gifted as shooters, or sometimes, all of the above. They are players who if you looked at them height-wise, you'd say "ok, this guy is a PF, or he's a C)...And yet they all can play multiple positions, including PG.

So what did the Lakers do? They already had the best player in the NBA, (and in that group of cheat codes)...and they went out and got arguably the 2nd-best "cheat code" player in the NBA. Really, the only thing the Lakers had to worry about is injury...

So you've got the Lakers. They have cheat code players in LeBron (who is arguably playing his best basketball....in his 18th season in the league, not even including playoff runs) and Anthony Davis, a guy who can shoot from anywhere on the floor, can run the floor like a PG, who can block shots and play defense like a shot-blocking center...

Really...All the lakers had to do after that was find pieces. And all they had to do was find cheap pieces. And they did.

• Playoff Rondo - guy doesn't do anything during the regular season, but then decides to start playing when it matters..
  • Danny Green - you can hate all you want, but the dudes won championships on 3 different teams and you were happy when the lakers got him.
  • Avery Bradley - lockdown defender who didn't even play in the bubble...had he played, the Lakers probably would've swept everyone.
  • Dwight Howard - another "ex all-star", who...all LBJ had to do, was turn him into a rim protector and an "alley-oop" specialist.

And that's all you needed...Couple in the fact that Kentavious Caldwell-Pope suddenly decided he was going to play well. No 1 in their right minds thought that the Lakers were going to lose during the playoffs. Really the only possible speed bump would've been the Clippers...but we all know how that went.

This was by far, one of the easiest final runs ever. And the fact that the Heat, who lost 2 of their Top 3 players for multiple games....actually came out and beat the Lakers not once, but twice, with the core of Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, Andre Iguodala, and two rookies....

Now on to the LeBron vs Jordan debate...

For me, it's not even close... LBJ will never be greater than Michael. And the evidence is simple:

1. LeBron James has never, ever, won a championship by himself, or...at the very minimum, won a championship by himself with "home-grown talent"...Whether you're a LBJ hater or lover...LBJ has needed someone every time to help him win a ship...From his "I'm taking my talents to South Beach with Wade and Bosh", to "heading back home" to Cleveland, but with Kyrie (who never would've been on the Cavs had LeBron never left) and Kevin Love...Now to the Lakers and him having to get Anthony Davis...the guy has never done it by himself...I think of teams like the Mavericks, who came into MIA with Dirk Nowitzki and a bunch of aging veterans in Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, DeShawn Stevenson, Tyson Chandler, and Shawn Marion....And stuck it to LBJ and his "super-team". That's how you become one of the greats. You defy odds. You can ask yourself, "in the last 10 years, aside from his first season in LAL, when has LeBron James been not favored to win the ship or at least make it to the finals?" Not once. And that reason alone is the reason he will never supplant MJ as the greatest of all-time.

2. LeBron James is the biggest whiner of all time...Have you ever watched a Laker game? Or a Heat game when he was there? or a Cavs game?....The guy bitches and complains about everythingggggggg. I wish I could just do a Finals video of him complaining...It would probably be longer than a highlights clip of him scoring. Every time he misses a shot near the basket, he's complaining. Any time someone else on his team takes a contested shot, he's complaining. Any time he bulldozes someone and gets called for a charge, he's complaining. If the ref says the ball hit off of LBJ's foot, he's complaining. If the ball isn't pumped up correctly....you guessed it....he's complaining. I've NEVER seen a player with such star-power, complain as much as LBJ complains. It's like nothing he does is wrong. He's apparently never committed a foul in his life, nor has any of his teammates. The ball is never out on him, it was out on the player at half court. Do you remember MJ crying every play? Let's even compare him to present-day NBA. Do you see Kawhi Leonard or Kevin Durant crying about every play?

3. LeBron James makes himself hateable...whether he does it willingly or unknowingly. From his flopping days while on the Heat...or him getting elbowed by Tristan Thompson and trying to sell it as if he got hit by an opposing player...to him always having to "team up" with someone....Michael didn't go to Charles Barkley or Karl Malone and say "hey...let's team up". One additional reason as to why I believe so many people hate LeBron James, despite his greatness....The guy acts as if he's above everyone else. He's cocky, sells his teammates who he finds worthless down the river, shady behind-the-scenes, cries during every single game....

LBJ literally flexes every time he scores on a smaller player...He gets mad, puts on his "I'm going to act like I'm pissed off" face...scores on a 6'2 180 lb guy like Tyler Herro...and then FLEXES, as if he just dunked on someone who was two times the size of him...Did you really just FLEX on a 6'2 180 lb twig because he nicked your arm while you went up for a layup in transition? It's like...dude...you're a human cheat code...like who else has your body type? 6'9...260 lbs of pure muscle...you look like the "final boss" at the end of a video game. And you're FLEXIN on a guy who's almost 100 lbs lighter than you?

So that was more like 5 cents...or maybe a whole dollar...

For the record, I am not discrediting anything LeBron has done from a "basketball IQ" or talent perspective. LeBron James, in my opinion, will go down as the 2nd best player in NBA history. He's uber-talented. He's gifted. He's smart. But for me...the reasons above are the reasons why I believe he will never leap Jordan in that conversation. And I'm from LeBron's generation, not Michael's. There are too many personality traits that people deem negative for him to jump MJ.

Los Angeles Lakers fans, enjoy the ship. It was an extremely easy road, whether you want to admit it or not. Next year will tell us a lot...With the Clippers, a healthy Warriors team, and many off-season trades likely to happen.

What an epic L.

It's always funny that the people who complain about Lebron James whining are always projecting. 

• Like 3