Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Luisangel Jose Acuña, SS, TEX


Fenamo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Slatykomora and Maxcd99 both make some very valid points.  If his name was Joe Bob, while his numbers still stand out, he certainly wouldn't be as interesting.  That said, the fact of the matter is that his last name is Acuna and he's performing well.  That's going to make you raise an eyebrow and makes him much more intriguing.

 

3 more hits and 3 more runs today.  Looks like he wants to come stateside now.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, I like baseball said:

Slatykomora and Maxcd99 both make some very valid points.  If his name was Joe Bob, while his numbers still stand out, he certainly wouldn't be as interesting.  That said, the fact of the matter is that his last name is Acuna and he's performing well.  That's going to make you raise an eyebrow and makes him much more intriguing.

 

3 more hits and 3 more runs today.  Looks like he wants to come stateside now.

Geez, hitting .427 isn’t enough to raise an eyebrow and make him very very intriguing regardless of name?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s the DSL.  It’s intriguing regardless, just not as intriguing especially if you’re an avid follower of that league.  This is not meant to be offensive to you but I don’t get the vibe that you are.  As someone has already mentioned, pitching is very weak in this league.  It’s hardly uncommon to see a prospect tear  it up there and struggle once they face more advanced pitching to only fall back into obscurity.  

 

I took the plunge due to this thread.  I’m excited to see how he develops.  Having direct access to his brother from a baseball standpoint and financially only helps his cause and prospect status.  I can honestly say I wouldn’t have if his last name weren’t Acuna.  It’s really early.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The DSL has 44 teams with 30-man rosters. Many of the players are high school age and almost none are over 21. Very few of them will even make it stateside, much less to the majors. It's a level well below even the Gulf Coast or Arizona rookie leagues.

Last year's DSL darling was Malcom Nunez, who slashed 415/497/774. Dynasty owners pounced on him. Scouts were unimpressed. This year he went to Low-A and slashed 183/247/197 before the Cardinals pulled the plug and sent him to advanced rookie ball.

That's not to say Acuna (or even Nunez) can't be really good, but getting excited about DSL numbers is usually a bad idea.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 5:39 PM, SpartyOn4 said:

Last year's DSL darling was Malcom Nunez, who slashed 415/497/774. Dynasty owners pounced on him. Scouts were unimpressed. This year he went to Low-A and slashed 183/247/197 before the Cardinals pulled the plug and sent him to advanced rookie ball.


His Youtube reel was like a showcase for a Vladito/Sano hybrid. I bit hard, hook line and sinker. Spent a high FYPD pick on him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 7:35 AM, Hanghow said:

Not much going on right now, but you have to love this...

Love what?  That he can hit an underhand pitch coming in at 30 mph?  If this was fantasy beer league softball, then I would be excited.  He's only valuable because of his last name.  Look at @brockpapersizertweet above.  That says it all.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheTruth024 said:

Love what?  That he can hit an underhand pitch coming in at 30 mph?  If this was fantasy beer league softball, then I would be excited.  He's only valuable because of his last name.  Look at @brockpapersizertweet above.  That says it all.  

I own him in 2 leagues, I have no big expectations for him, most prospects never live up to hype.

He was a FA. I will wait and see how he progresses, if he doesn't work out, I'll drop him, and take

a flier on someone else.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Topgun said:

I own him in 2 leagues, I have no big expectations for him, most prospects never live up to hype.

He was a FA. I will wait and see how he progresses, if he doesn't work out, I'll drop him, and take

a flier on someone else.


Depends on how many minor leaguers are owned in your league . I think if it’s 200 or under you could do much better now. If it’s 500, you still probably could but whatever. Not killing you. I’d still try and sell. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:


Depends on how many minor leaguers are owned in your league . I think if it’s 200 or under you could do much better now. If it’s 500, you still probably could but whatever. Not killing you. I’d still try and sell. 

40x12=480

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TheTruth024 said:

Love what?  That he can hit an underhand pitch coming in at 30 mph?  If this was fantasy beer league softball, then I would be excited.  He's only valuable because of his last name.  Look at @brockpapersizertweet above.  That says it all.  

Easy, champ... the post was from April when nothing was happening. Also, the post you cited is a bit light on hard evidence, so I'm not really sure what you want me to get from that. Finally, if you CAN sell him to somebody as the next coming of Ronald Acuna Jr., yes, absolutely do that. I don't disagree with the sentiment.

Best to ya ;)

Edited by Hanghow
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...