NBC Sports EDGE Forums

A.J. Green 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

Yeah but the Bills have one of the best pass defenses, leading to a conservative offense that doesn’t encourage much passing. At least Green would be in line for major garbage time points with the Bengals.

Bills stay conservative because they don’t have that option.  Allen hasn’t tasted someone on greens level, that alone will boost an offence.  They are going to want bigger leads moving forward.  Both play NE in playoffs.  Come that time when they need someone to step up I’ll take green in bills over bengals any day.  

I could see the Bengals holding out AJ Green until after the trade deadline. That way he won't put his health at further risk, which means the Bengals don't lose additional value on a potential trade. However, I can also see the angle where a team that's interested in him wants to see him in live action before deciding. Either way, I'm pretty certain he isn't going to play until he feels 105% healthy. The Bengals looking atrocious certainly doesn't help.

3 hours ago, TTo34 said:

Honestly, I was anticipating him being available at this point.  He should have been placed on IR.

If I had to bet I'd say he is available, physically. There's more going on here. Not sure if it's him, the team or both, but they're either holding him out so he's healthy for a trade, holding him out cause they want him healthy for next year, or he's not playing without a new contract. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

If I had to bet I'd say he is available, physically. There's more going on here. Not sure if it's him, the team or both, but they're either holding him out so he's healthy for a trade, holding him out cause they want him healthy for next year, or he's not playing without a new contract. 

I totally agree... just feel like there's too little information, all we are getting is "he's not ready this week". Feel like he should be practicing in some limited form and there should be some type of updates on it. Like giving us updates on him sprinting or whether he can make cuts yet. I'd put money on that there's something else going on here as well and I hate it because I don't think there's any situation better than just playing for the bengals this year (fantasy wise).

Edited by trolltoll
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I think main driver here is your last point. AJ being 30 now I'm sure he has no interest in coming back and playing for this terrible team especially without a deal. He's always been a classy dude and really the complete opposite of a "diva" wideout so I think if there's any player that could get a pass for holding out for money (or a new team lol) it's him.

2 hours ago, JooCraig said:

I think main driver here is your last point. AJ being 30 now I'm sure he has no interest in coming back and playing for this terrible team especially without a deal. He's always been a classy dude and really the complete opposite of a "diva" wideout so I think if there's any player that could get a pass for holding out for money (or a new team lol) it's him.

Oh I have absolutely zero problem with him doing that, I guess I'm just surprised there hasn't been more talk about that in fact being the case here. 

20 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Reporters have really been dropping the ball on him IMHO.  He was supposed to miss only the first couple games, yet almost no updates of any substance since he blew past that timeline weeks ago.  Do your jobs and figure out what's actually going on over there.

That tells me it's more about Green and his holdout mystery. How can they report something that doesn't exist? It's not like Green is coming out with anything of substance. 🤐

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JooCraig said:

Nice teammate.  Pretty lame.

15 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

That tells me it's more about Green and his holdout mystery. How can they report something that doesn't exist? It's not like Green is coming out with anything of substance. 🤐

What's the holdup, though?  Does he not want to stay in Cincy?  Does Cincy not want to pay him?  Is it really just that he's still injured (unlikely at this point IMO)?  Are the Bengals legitimately tanking?  Nothing on any of these fronts.  Either these guys are just not doing their jobs, or their sources all suck.  Somebody should be saying something on these topics.  There's no way both Green's camp and the Bengals are really playing everything so close to the vest.  Can't be done.

Just now, kraftwrk_5 said:

What's the holdup, though?  Does he not want to stay in Cincy?  Does Cincy not want to pay him?  Is it really just that he's still injured (unlikely at this point IMO)?  Are the Bengals legitimately tanking?  Nothing on any of these fronts.  Either these guys are just not doing their jobs, or their sources all suck.  Somebody should be saying something on these topics.  There's no way both Green's camp and the Bengals are really playing everything so close to the vest.  Can't be done.

To add, it's not really in either camp's interest to be silent IMO.  If Green wants a new team, he should say so and try to drum up interest before the trading deadline by showing that his rehab is going well and he's "almost ready" to return.  Same scenario applies if he wants to show the Bengals he's healthy and deserves an extension.  They're not going to want to give a bunch of guarantees to a guy who's injured, no matter how good he's been in the past.  If the Bengals want him to play, they should be trying to push him.  Or if they want to trade him, they could leak reports about him being ready to "come back and dominate" or say "multiple teams have called us, but we'll need to be blown away" to try to drive up the price.  I don't think the silence is helping anyone, on either side.

If he wants a big, new contract he needs to play and to play well. He will be 32 next year, has shown some signs of (relative) decline already. Moreover, he has now missed significant time in three of the last four seasons. He is going to need to dominant to warrant a team taking the injury and age risk.

This situation is frustrating since we aren't getting any real news but you have to assume he returns with enough time to put together a decent sample size of performance for teams to look at for free agency. 

• Like 2

https://www.bengals.com/news/green-feeling-a-return-i-think-i-ll-be-the-same-guy

Right now, he’s just happy that on Wednesday he ran at full speed and cut for the first time since injuring his ankle in the first 45 minutes of training camp and now everyone is crossing their fingers to see how it responds.

“I felt good. Let’s see how it feels tomorrow,” Green says. “The biggest thing right now is getting the strength back, getting all the muscles strong and the mental part of it down. I want to play so bad, I can't lock out the pain. I can’t do that. I’ll be hurting myself in the long run.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Newtown said:

https://www.bengals.com/news/green-feeling-a-return-i-think-i-ll-be-the-same-guy

Right now, he’s just happy that on Wednesday he ran at full speed and cut for the first time since injuring his ankle in the first 45 minutes of training camp and now everyone is crossing their fingers to see how it responds.

“I felt good. Let’s see how it feels tomorrow,” Green says. “The biggest thing right now is getting the strength back, getting all the muscles strong and the mental part of it down. I want to play so bad, I can't lock out the pain. I can’t do that. I’ll be hurting myself in the long run.”

That sounds like an AJG type comment that he is anxious to play, but it seems like there is something else..Something is coming and its either him on the field in a Bengals uniform or he is somewhere else but he plays this year. Lets hope this mess is straightened out by next week.

19 minutes ago, Newtown said:

This is slightly reassuring