NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jose (Hernandez) Urquidy, SP, HOU

Can’t find a topic posted for HOU’s possible next man up for the rotation as Framber Valdez continues recent struggles today. Urquidy is 24 and has been pitching very well in the PCL to the tune of 43IP 64K 10BB 2.89 ERA. He pitched tonight so he’s exactly aligned with Framber’s rotation slot. Tonight: 6IP, 0ER, 9K and 2BB. I dropped Framber in my dynasty for Jose. FYI, he’s called Jose Hernandez on CBS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to Rotowire and CBS, Houston wont need a fifth starter again till after the ASB:

https://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player.php?id=14900

Wednesday's performance made back-to-back poor outings for Valdez, who allowed 11 runs across his last 6.1 innings. The 25-year-old's stint in the starting rotation may have been coming to an end regardless since the Astros won't require a fifth starter again until after the All-Star break. 

Edited by Gryfter
  • Like 1

I’m excited to see this guy get a shot soon. Here’s an article I posted in the deep sleepers thread a few weeks back highlighting the velo increase (now throwing 93-96) that we’re seeing this year: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/jose-urquidy-takes-a-giant-step-forward/

He’s always had great control for a young pitcher. His bb/9 has been sub 2.0 at every stop in the minors except 16 innings at low-A in 2015. Now he’s getting swings and misses. His k/9 is over 13 and his ERA is now under 3.00 in the PCL. I read a tweet a few weeks ago that I now can’t find but placed him in the top 10 of all minors of swinging strike rate. I’m not sure when he’ll get a shot, but I’m buying everywhere when he does.

• Like 3

No reports seem to be indicating how much his stuff has ticked up (as a few of us discussed in deep sleeper thread)

He started opening day for AA and just has continued to shove and has remarkably gotten better/stronger with a promo to AAA

Last night v Hiura and strong San Antonio lineup he went 6IP 5H 0R 2BB 9K

The only red flag I am seeing is that he is a fly ball guy that has given 6 HR in 43+ IP in AAA, but even as a remarkably high fly ball guy over his minors career he has only been touched for 20 HR over nearly 300 innings. Though his 6 this year might be more relevant given the baseballs...he is still a major guy to watch, because he will be in the bigs by early July imo.

• Like 1

While he's given up 1.24 HR/9 during his time in AAA, it's the PCL and everyone gives up a ton of homers. Even our savior Zac Gallen had a .99 HR/9, and Urquidy is in the top third of the league(in a good way) in home run suppression. Throw in a 31.2 K-BB%, and he looks a lot like Gallen's line with a lot less hype. 

• Like 1

Here. We. Go.

Per CBS:

General manager Jeff Luhnow said that Urquidy is a candidate to receive a promotion from Triple-A Round Rock to join the Houston rotation Tuesday against the Rockies in Colorado, Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports.

With the Astros recently optioning Framber Valdez to Triple-A and placing Brad Peacock (shoulder) on the 10-day injured list, the team suddenly finds itself with a three-man rotation. Due to off days Monday and Thursday, the Astros can get by a little shorthanded prior to the All-Star break, but a fourth starter will still be required. Urquidy has entered the conversation for a spot start after posting a 2.89 ERA, 0.97 WHIP and 64:10 K:BB in 43.2 innings with Round Rock since receiving a promotion from Double-A Corpus Christi in May. Along with Urquidy, long reliever Cy Sneed is also viewed as a potential spot starter for Tuesday, though expectations should be restrained for whomever ultimately gets the nod at hitter haven Coors Field.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Here. We. Go.

Per CBS:

General manager Jeff Luhnow said that Urquidy is a candidate to receive a promotion from Triple-A Round Rock to join the Houston rotation Tuesday against the Rockies in Colorado, Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports.

With the Astros recently optioning Framber Valdez to Triple-A and placing Brad Peacock (shoulder) on the 10-day injured list, the team suddenly finds itself with a three-man rotation. Due to off days Monday and Thursday, the Astros can get by a little shorthanded prior to the All-Star break, but a fourth starter will still be required. Urquidy has entered the conversation for a spot start after posting a 2.89 ERA, 0.97 WHIP and 64:10 K:BB in 43.2 innings with Round Rock since receiving a promotion from Double-A Corpus Christi in May. Along with Urquidy, long reliever Cy Sneed is also viewed as a potential spot starter for Tuesday, though expectations should be restrained for whomever ultimately gets the nod at hitter haven Coors Field.

Great to hear. I picked him up a couple days ago in my dynasty as a speculative add. Not worried about Colorado as I wouldn’t be starting him. It does present as a tough audition for a rotation spot. If he pitches well though it could be a big springboard for him to hold the 5 slot coming out of the ASB. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I am semi amazed he still sits at 1% ownership in CBS after last night? I think his name --he's still referred to Jose Hernandez and labeled a RP-- is the reason?

He’s up to 10% owned on Fantrax, though I think I’m responsible for about 5% of that. Still plenty of good seats left open on this bus!

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I am semi amazed he still sits at 1% ownership in CBS after last night? I think his name --he's still referred to Jose Hernandez and labeled a RP-- is the reason?

I suspect this is at least part of the reason. I tried to stash a month ago, was surprised to not see his name in the database. Let a week go by until I figured out the name issue. I was fortunate nobody else picked him up.