NBC Sports Edge Forums

Austin Hooper 2019 Outlook

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Savior. League Winner. Austin Hooper in 2019 is a true testament to those old Heinz Ketchup commercials from the 80's; specifically, their catchphrase. Hooper truly embodies it (An

Should still be started over Julio in TD leagues.

i would think any landing place would be a downgrade from his current situation.  hes the TE1 and any change he would have to endure (new playbook, qb, oc, etc) would be a downturn in value.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, FitzMagic said:

Game script has benefited Freeman, not Hooper. Hooper actually is getting designed plays, not just dinks and dunks. Watched all games and he's most involved with Julio in this offense. That's why Ridley is suffering statistically. Then add in his chain-moving safety blanket in Sanu. Hooper has had pretty decent games and only in the two-minute offense racked up more points because the defense would only give the underneath stuff. Even if it is game script, the Falcons suck and this is going to be the script all year. So, Hooper will have a career year, regardless, and may end up being the best TE this season.

^ This. Plus the O-Line struggles are really benefiting Hooper as well (and hurting Julio).  Quick hitting TE routes are the best way to move the ball when they can’t consistently protect Ryan to let the out-routes develop.

1 hour ago, aapox said:

More like a cautiously optimistic Hooper owner. :)

Nice. To be honest, I hadn’t even bothered to read what you said that prompted his “he must be a Kittle owner” comment in the first place. I just chimed in blindly and said “Nah, I’m thinking more like an O.J. Howard owner”. So, more or less, my comment was just an indictment on Howard....cause, my God has he sucked. But Hooper on the other hand? After he puts together yet another busy day at the office come this Sunday against Rams, you’ll be happily ditching any/all future references to any form of the word “caution” for any/all future citations speaking towards your optimism on him.

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Nice. To be honest, I hadn’t even bothered to read what you said that prompted his “he must be a Kittle owner” comment in the first place. I just chimed in blindly and said “Nah, I’m thinking more like an O.J. Howard owner”. So, more or less, my comment was just an indictment on Howard....cause, my God has he sucked. But Hooper on the other hand? After he puts together yet another busy day at the office come this Sunday against Rams, you’ll be happily ditching any/all future references to any form of the word “caution” for any/all future citations speaking towards your optimism on him.

Yep, I'm feeling pretty darn good right about now. Hopefully even better after Sunday.

(less to you, more to whole thread) I understand that the gameflow has helped Freeman most, from a pass-catching perspective, but it's inarguable that it helps every pass catcher that forces the Falcons to throw at a way higher percentage. I'd say Hooper is the next biggest beneficiary as teams get leads and take more cautious approaches in their secondary. This defense is so bad, I am liking Hoopers chance at 6-8 targets+ every single week and with his 84% catch rate that's an amazing floor.

Can't believe this guy doesn't get more appreciation.  He is the rock in my lineup and being able to depend on your TE is a godsend.  Being able to look at him to help you win the week? Possible steal of the draft this man, I absolutely love watching him play every week.

5 minutes ago, fullonchubb said:

Can't believe this guy doesn't get more appreciation.  He is the rock in my lineup and being able to depend on your TE is a godsend.  Being able to look at him to help you win the week? Possible steal of the draft this man, I absolutely love watching him play every week.

Agree.  Also imagine Schaub will lean on him some whole Ryan is out?

6 minutes ago, JaylenBrownFanclub said:

Also falcons potentially trading Sanu? More targets for hooper and ridley

Theyd be silly not to trade him to SF if Shanny offers them anything decent. This season is over. 

7 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

have to think Sanu going to the Pats helps Hooper

Six total targets the last two weeks. Outside of one week and this last Sunday, Sanu’s target share was generally 4-7. I don’t see any real boost to Hooper here. My guess is if anything, we see a guy like Justin Hardy benefit. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, vthokie3 said:

have to think Sanu going to the Pats helps Hooper

Certainly. That is a handful of extra targets per game that open up, esp being that Hoop and Sanu run a ton of the same intermediate routes.

Though the status of Ryan is also a big deal.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

Seattle would be pretty dope

i would think any landing place would be a downgrade from his current situation.  hes the TE1 and any change he would have to endure (new playbook, qb, oc, etc) would be a downturn in value.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, herschel said:

I would cry if he got traded.

• Like 1
On 10/22/2019 at 3:52 PM, Bastardo! said:

Imagine if there were a version of Julio Jones that scored touchdowns and was tight-end eligible.  His name is Austin Hooper.

Would he have the WR version of Austin Hooper drawing coverage away from him?

I’m still firing up with confidence. It’s a downgrade for the overall offense which is naturally one for all players but I like Hoopers situation and Schaub was getting him the ball when he came in last game. Granted it was garbage time but still.