Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

NBA summer 2019 offseason thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is definitely the most surprising offseason in the history of the league. So many teams now with legit chances. This is shaping up to be one of the more exciting seasons in a long, long time

MJ's 1st 3 peat. Lakers had Magic with aids and no Kareem. Drexler by himself lol. Then Barkley, and Kevin Johnson lol. 1995 Eatsern Conference Finals MJ choked on a key play in Game 6 and lost to Sha

I don't really like to evaluate trades from a perspective of who won the trade.  They had different interests.  Both got what they wanted.  Win-Win.  If the Clippers win their first title it was worth

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

trades, free agents, retirement news, rumors here...

If Kawhi goes to Lakers, will that be better (or worse) than KD going to Warriors?

If Kawhi goes to either of the LA teams I wouldn’t be surprised and it wouldn’t be as offensive Durant going to the Warriors.  Kawhi is from LA and went to school in San Diego so it’s not that surprising.  Durant is from the DC area and went to the Warriors to ring chase.  I don’t see how they’re comparable. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

If Kawhi goes to Lakers, will that be better (or worse) than KD going to Warriors?

 

And to follow up on what @StifleTower2 said, Kawhi already proved himself tenfold. He can do what he pleases. KD can too because he's a grown man, but he's a b****.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO Kawhi going to the Lakers is way worse and i'm a Lakers. Yeah he won a championship by himself, but why join two of Top 5 players immediately after? Especially at a time when the league is wide open. As much as I think KD is a b**** I felt his move was made in an attempt to beat Lebron who stood atop of the league at that time. As of right now, Kawhi stands at the top of the league and joining Lebrons team is as weak as it gets.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FantasyBallFan said:

IMO Kawhi going to the Lakers is way worse and i'm a Lakers. Yeah he won a championship by himself, but why join two of Top 5 players immediately after? Especially at a time when the league is wide open. As much as I think KD is a b**** I felt his move was made in an attempt to beat Lebron who stood atop of the league at that time. As of right now, Kawhi stands at the top of the league and joining Lebrons team is as weak as it gets.

 

It's not.

Kawhi was awesome, but i think he appreciated the type of grind it takes to lead a team to a title with no other stars. He had an assortment of injuries he was dealing with, even with his load management of 20 games. Not sure he wants that type of responsibility for another 4-5+ years. 

Kawhi's proven he can win as part of a team (Spurs) and as the man (Raptors). He has nothing else to prove. He either wants to return home and play for the most marketable team (and win) or make as much money as possible (Raptors). 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that of the teams that Kawhi is considering, wherever he decides will probably become one of the front runners for a title.  If either of the LA teams adds Kawhi to what they already have then they become contenders.  If he stays in Toronto, they remain a contender.  There are no bad choices for Kawhi. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Mavs fan, I would love to see Kawhi sign with Dallas, but that's not gonna happen. 

I think he'll sign with the Clippers along with either Jimmy or KD. He'll still be my favorite player as long as he doesn't join the Lakers lol. I don't think he's made like that though so I'm not too worried about it. 

Edited by young_styler
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kane said:

Vuc plans to return to magic

j471096573044128_nl200.jpg

 

14 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Orlando is a dumpster fire. They don’t know what direction they want to go. You draft Bamba to replace Vucevic, just to re-sign Vucevic? Inept team. 

 

I could have told you that 3-4 months ago.  It was reportedly locally that if they made the playoffs they would sign Vuc.  I listened to a podcast late in the season in which Fournier and Vuc basically spilled the beans on that one.  I also heard Vuc would accept less than the max but he was firm on the deal being at least 4 years (probably bc he knows he's going to be past prime and this is his time to cash in).  The Magic were reluctant to sign a deal that long but it's not surprising they caved.  Coincidentally Ross wasn't included in the podcast.

 

Brilliant take.😆  Orlando is one of the smallest markets in the NBA and Vuc is their best player since Shaq. Yes, he's better than Dipo and Tobias.  If they let him leave they'll be miss the playoffs for the next decade.  They'd "rebuild" but the process doesn't work the way it used to bc of the draft reforms.  There's no point in a playoff team losing their best player to tank.  Not to mention a few teams in the bottom tier of the East's potential playoff bracket: Detroit, Miami, Charlotte are likely getting worse leaving Orlando as a potential 5th-6th seed.     They have to use that cap space somewhere and no one else at Vuc's level is coming for free agency.

 

Bamba is completely irrelevant.  I don't know why he's brought up so frequently.  It's like rotoworld all agrees that this next guy (whoever he is) is going to be the next superstar and any evidence to the contrary is ignored (confirmation bias) to the point where the player almost becomes a folklore immune from criticism.  They were like that with Nerlens Noel for a while. 

 

Bamba isn't good now.  Maybe he can become good.  But if you want him to develop don't you think one of the most skilled bigs in the game can teach him something?  They didn't draft Bamba to "replace Vuc".  They drafted Bamba because they perceived him to be BPA.  They didn't draft for need, otherwise they'd draft a PG.  It didn't really work out for Portland when they drafted Bowie for need did it?  Since then it's generally been seen as a bad idea.  Look at the players drafted behind him in the lottery: Wendell, Sexton, Knox, the two Bridges, SGA, Jerome Robinson, Porter, Brown, Smith.  Which of these players have both more upside than Bamba and are a better fit for the Magic?  SGA would have been cool, no doubt.  Other than that, Sexton is a PG getting run but is generally regarded as inefficient and a poor defender.  He's not really better than Augustin atm.  Other than that, none of the other players fit a position need.  They would have been projects too.  Maybe they should have taken Wendell over Bamba?  Hindsight is 20/20.  One thing I'm certain of is that not a lot of thought went into the above criticism.  The Magic had to draft someone, none of the other players below him were really better, and teams draft picks all the time that don't work out.

 

The narrative that Orlando drafted Bamba to replace Vuc is one that I've mostly just heard around this forum.  And anyway if they drafted for need I swear you guys would lambast them for that too.  E.g. if they drafted Sexton...pssst they're a dumpster fire, drafting for need.  Don't you know Wendell was better?  

 

It's as if you've already pre-decided that certain teams are "bad" and no matter what they do it will confirm your bias that they're bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

 

 

I could have told you that 3-4 months ago.  It was reportedly locally that if they made the playoffs they would sign Vuc.  I listened to a podcast late in the season in which Fournier and Vuc basically spilled the beans on that one.  I also heard Vuc would accept less than the max but he was firm on the deal being at least 4 years (probably bc he knows he's going to be past prime and this is his time to cash in).  The Magic were reluctant to sign a deal that long but it's not surprising they caved.  Coincidentally Ross wasn't included in the podcast.

 

Brilliant take.😆  Orlando is one of the smallest markets in the NBA and Vuc is their best player since Shaq. Yes, he's better than Dipo and Tobias.  If they let him leave they'll be miss the playoffs for the next decade.  They'd "rebuild" but the process doesn't work the way it used to bc of the draft reforms.  There's no point in a playoff team losing their best player to tank.  Not to mention a few teams in the bottom tier of the East's potential playoff bracket: Detroit, Miami, Charlotte are likely getting worse leaving Orlando as a potential 5th-6th seed.     They have to use that cap space somewhere and no one else at Vuc's level is coming for free agency.

 

Bamba is completely irrelevant.  I don't know why he's brought up so frequently.  It's like rotoworld all agrees that this next guy (whoever he is) is going to be the next superstar and any evidence to the contrary is ignored (confirmation bias) to the point where the player almost becomes a folklore immune from criticism.  They were like that with Nerlens Noel for a while. 

 

Bamba isn't good now.  Maybe he can become good.  But if you want him to develop don't you think one of the most skilled bigs in the game can teach him something?  They didn't draft Bamba to "replace Vuc".  They drafted Bamba because they perceived him to be BPA.  They didn't draft for need, otherwise they'd draft a PG.  It didn't really work out for Portland when they drafted Bowie for need did it?  Since then it's generally been seen as a bad idea.  Look at the players drafted behind him in the lottery: Wendell, Sexton, Knox, the two Bridges, SGA, Jerome Robinson, Porter, Brown, Smith.  Which of these players have both more upside than Bamba and are a better fit for the Magic?  SGA would have been cool, no doubt.  Other than that, Sexton is a PG getting run but is generally regarded as inefficient and a poor defender.  He's not really better than Augustin atm.  Other than that, none of the other players fit a position need.  They would have been projects too.  Maybe they should have taken Wendell over Bamba?  Hindsight is 20/20.  One thing I'm certain of is that not a lot of thought went into the above criticism.  The Magic had to draft someone, none of the other players below him were really better, and teams draft picks all the time that don't work out.

 

The narrative that Orlando drafted Bamba to replace Vuc is one that I've mostly just heard around this forum.  And anyway if they drafted for need I swear you guys would lambast them for that too.  E.g. if they drafted Sexton...pssst they're a dumpster fire, drafting for need.  Don't you know Wendell was better?  

 

It's as if you've already pre-decided that certain teams are "bad" and no matter what they do it will confirm your bias that they're bad.

If they lose Ross, they won’t make the playoffs, because he was essentially the reason how they got that last playoff seed anyways. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

If they lose Ross, they won’t make the playoffs, because he was essentially the reason how they got that last playoff seed anyways. 

Idk if they will resign Ross or if they don’t whether they will miss the playoffs.  Nor was that the thesis of my post. 

I can’t fathom a universe in which a small market team signing their best player to a reasonable, less than full max deal is inept.  Given that you didn’t address that in your rebuttal I’ll assume your original post was pure hyperbole. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sylvanus said:

"Best player since Shaq"??? He's been very good, but come-on man...T-Mac and Dwight Howard??

Either way, even it's that's hyperbole it's still dumb to say the Magic are inept in signing him to a less than max deal.

 

For anyone who thinks the Magic are inept answer two questions:

1) Who is better than Vuc who has been linked to the Magic who is willing to sign for less than 25M?

2) Who out of the 2018 draft class was drafted after Bamba has shown more potential than Bamba?  You can't list a forward or center because then it will be argued the Magic are inept by not starting them over Vuc or Gordon.

 

Sounds like a small market making the best choices they can given what's available.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they made the best decision they could today signing Vuc.

However, I also think they are inept. From coaching decisions (Scott Skiles, 1 year disaster) to losing Harris, Oladipo, to a giant contract for Biyombo while also trading for Ibaka and trying to play Gordon at the 3. Lack of strategy for at least 5 years...no clear plan.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sylvanus said:

I think they made the best decision they could today signing Vuc.

However, I also think they are inept. From coaching decisions (Scott Skiles, 1 year disaster) to losing Harris, Oladipo, to a giant contract for Biyombo while also trading for Ibaka and trying to play Gordon at the 3. Lack of strategy for at least 5 years...no clear plan.

I suppose that moniker could apply to any franchise in the NBA over the last ten years other than those who have won titles.  Everyone has made mistakes in hindsight.  Even teams with plans made mistakes.  Philly had a plan with "The Process" and it hasn't won any titles.  And they've made mistakes (Okafor, Noel).  Morey in Houston had a plan,  it hasn't worked, and they've gutted their team to implement it.  Name any team and I'll list five things they've done wrong recently.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any predictions? Here's what I'm going with.

1 F
Toronto Raptors
  UFA
2 F
L.A. Clippers
  UFA
3 G
Brooklyn Nets
  UFA
4 G
Boston Celtics
  UFA
5 G
Golden State Warriors
  UFA
6 F
Dallas Mavericks
  RFA
7 G
Philadelphia 76ers
  UFA
8 F
Brooklyn Nets
  UFA
9 F
Milwaukee Bucks
  UFA
10 C
Orlando Magic
  UFA
11 G
Minnesota Timberwolves
  RFA
12 G
Milwaukee Bucks
  RFA
13 G
L.A. Lakers
  UFA
14 C
L.A. Clippers
  UFA
15 C
Sacramento Kings
  UFA
16 F
Utah Jazz
  UFA
17 F
New York Knicks
  UFA
18 C
New Orleans Pelicans
  UFA
19 C
New York Knicks
  UFA
20 F
Sacramento Kings
 

UFA

21 G
Detroit Pistons
 

UFA

22 G
Sacramento Kings
 

UFA

23 F Utah Jazz  

UFA

24 C Memphis Grizzlies  

UFA

25
Patrick Beverley (30)
G
L.A. Lakers
 

UFA

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:

Any predictions? Here's what I'm going with.

1 F
Toronto Raptors
  UFA
2 F
L.A. Clippers
  UFA
3 G
Brooklyn Nets
  UFA
4 G
Boston Celtics
  UFA
5 G
Golden State Warriors
  UFA
6 F
Dallas Mavericks
  RFA
7 G
Philadelphia 76ers
  UFA
8 F
Brooklyn Nets
  UFA
9 F
Milwaukee Bucks
  UFA
10 C
Orlando Magic
  UFA
11 G
Minnesota Timberwolves
  RFA
12 G
Milwaukee Bucks
  RFA
13 G
L.A. Lakers
  UFA
14 C
L.A. Clippers
  UFA
15 C
Sacramento Kings
  UFA
16 F
Utah Jazz
  UFA
17 F
New York Knicks
  UFA
18 C
New Orleans Pelicans
  UFA
19 C
New York Knicks
  UFA
20 F
Sacramento Kings
 

UFA

21 G
Detroit Pistons
 

UFA

22 G
Sacramento Kings
 

UFA

23 F Utah Jazz  

UFA

24 C Memphis Grizzlies  

UFA

25
Patrick Beverley (30)
G
L.A. Lakers
 

UFA

I'll only list the things I disagree with otherwise it's a waste of time:

 

1) Butler pretty much not staying in Philly imo.  He doesn't get along well with others.  Whereas, Philly seems interested in keeping Tobias.  Maybe flip Butler and Tobias.

2) DAR: Bold shot in the dark?  I haven't seen him tied to anyone.

3) Same with BroLo.  I haven't seen him tied anywhere other than the Bucks.

 

The others seem legit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...