NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jose Urquidy 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another great start. Hard to discount his numbers..  10.89 K/9, 1.42 BB/9, 2.64 FIP, with right around a 14% swinging strike rate. Small sample size, but he's in the territory of some pretty elit

1 hour ago, DarinB300 said:

Was he a FA or do you have to put a waiver claim in for him?

I’m in an FAAB league, no free agency, so need to make a claim. Not sure what his status is for a league with free agency 

• Like 1

Dude looks like Erasmo Ramirez the way he pitches. Nothing to see here. Started at 95-96 MPH first 1-2 innings and curled up in a ball the 2nd time through the order and was only throwing 91-92 MPH on his fastball. Good slider. "ok" movement on his changeup that sat around 81-83 MPH most of the time. His control wasn't anything like everyone's been raving about in the minors. Probably nerves. But A.J. Hinch yanked him at 81 pitches right away with zero confidence. So have no idea if this guy will even get another start in the MLB the rest of this season. 

11 minutes ago, Mexi1024 said:

Dude looks like Erasmo Ramirez the way he pitches. Nothing to see here. Started at 95-96 MPH first 1-2 innings and curled up in a ball the 2nd time through the order and was only throwing 91-92 MPH on his fastball. Good slider. "ok" movement on his changeup that sat around 81-83 MPH most of the time. His control wasn't anything like everyone's been raving about in the minors. Probably nerves. But A.J. Hinch yanked him at 81 pitches right away with zero confidence. So have no idea if this guy will even get another start in the MLB the rest of this season. 

I think your assessment is a little harsh. Coors is a horrible place for rookie pitchers to debut. I’m giving him a longer leash. I think he’ll get the start Sunday against the Angels. His command is better than what he showed tonight. Hinch obviously didn’t want him to go through the order on the 3rd time through which was probably a good call.

Rough start, but it's tough to put a kid in for his first career start on the road at Coors.  Especially a fly ball pitcher.  He pitched poorly enough to drop him and keep an eye on him should he go on Sunday.

9 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I think your assessment is a little harsh. Coors is a horrible place for rookie pitchers to debut. I’m giving him a longer leash. I think he’ll get the start Sunday against the Angels. His command is better than what he showed tonight. Hinch obviously didn’t want him to go through the order on the 3rd time through which was probably a good call.

Agreed. It was 80° in Denver and probably tough to get any feel out there. He could have been far worse. First double came on an opposite field slap down the 3B line white the shift on. He had some good movement despite the thin air but less control. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver

Career debut at Coors with Story back tonight? Wtf did some of you expect? 17 combined runs scored tonight and still in the 7th. Hell of a job to only give up 2. 

• Like 3

What I don't get is why make Coors a debut for any pitcher in your system?  I understand you need someone to start, but there was nobody else with some experience who could have started? Even if you did a opener, bulk pitcher etc.. Man! Someone doesn't like this dude!

I get what you're all saying. I just wasn't impressed with his location at all. He was all over the place. Maybe he has more confidence  vs the Angels. But the hype on these boards was that he could be somebody special. He just looks "ok" to me. But a major improvement on location could help that. I don't like seeing the MPH die from 95-96 to start down to 91-92 after only 18 batters. 

Plays the Angels next. Probably see a more calm pitcher this time around, but I wouldn't want to play the Angels now with an Angel hovering above, those guys will be on a mission!

• Like 1

His range of outcomes is like any good pitching prospect -- volatile. He has good stuff though, the slider is sharp, his swinging strike rate was one of the best in the PCL alongside >30 K-bb% and sub 3 ERA in the PCL...wouldn't write him off. Has just as high a ceiling as someone like Mize and Cease.

9 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Anyone rolling him out vs halos Sunday?

I am but the league I have him is a ridiculously deep (40-man roster, 16 team, protected farms) daily H-to-H.  I'm surprised nobody picked him up on waivers and I got him as a FA, I was fifteenth in waivers so didn't bother putting in a claim initially.

46 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Anyone rolling him out vs halos Sunday?

Own him in one league and definitely. Angels also lost one of their best hitters this year. You're also always going to have a good shot at a w with an Astros pitcher. 

Don't think he's a future Ace, but I like what I've seen from Jose.

Edited by brockpapersizer