NBC Sports Edge Forums

I haven't studied Poche's pitch mix, but a podcast I was listening to said that basically all he does is throw 93 mph heaters, and a quick look at his Brooks page confirms that.  The number of pitchers who can get away with basically a one pitch arsenal is quite small, and the pitch usually has to be great.  Is this just a guy who's had some luck in a pretty small sample?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Might be nice to compile a complete list of closers and possible outcomes going into the trade deadline. I'm sure some of this is wrong as the scotch is flowing so feel free to correct/addend anything

Pre-Deadline Recap or my take at least   ARZ - Holland and a bunch of trash, dont see much changing at the deadline ATL - Cool Luke Jackson gots it ROS i think BAL - Avoid - commit

Translation: “I’d like to get him out of the closer role but all of my other options suck just as bad.”

Posted Images

1 minute ago, rcarena said:

He's given up some unlucky hits, but he also walks more guys than you'd like for sure. I think you have to be nervous in a one run game with him, but he is tough to hit so it's not likely he gets torched on a given outing either. 

He has 1 walk in 17+ IP so I'm not sure that's the problem. 

Just now, tonycpsu said:

I haven't studied Poche's pitch mix, but a podcast I was listening to said that basically all he does is throw 93 mph heaters, and a quick look at his Brooks page confirms that.  The number of pitchers who can get away with basically a one pitch arsenal is quite small, and the pitch usually has to be great.  Is this just a guy who's had some luck in a pretty small sample?

That's certainly how I'm viewing him until he proves otherwise. 

Just now, tonycpsu said:

He's very deceptive and has elite command...

18 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He's very deceptive and has elite command...

You could say the same about Darth Vader, but I don't want him in my bullpen either :)

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

You could say the same about Darth Vader, but I don't want him in my bullpen either :)

Are you kidding?  Vader would be like the best frickin’ closer in human history, man!

• Haha 1

Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports that the Royals have entered "sell mode" after their trade of Martin Maldonado.

Feinsand reports that the focus will be on moving players like Billy Hamilton, Jake Diekman, Lucas Duda and Ian Kennedy. While all of those player could draw a certain level of interest -- although why anyone would want Duda at this point may be a bit of a challenge -- it could be argued that Kennedy is the one that should interest fantasy players the most. He's done a solid job as the closer for Kansas City, picking up 14 saves with an ERA of 3.32 and K/BB mark of 46/9 in 38 innings. The question would be if the Royals are willing to eat cash, as Kennedy is still owed $16.5 million in 2020.

if the Royals trade both Kennedy and Diekman, who is next in KC?

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

if the Royals trade both Kennedy and Diekman, who is next in KC?

Does it really matter? I'm really hoping they promote Scott Blewett and let him close. That would be amazing. 

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Castillo's due back soon too right? So he has to jump both Pagan AND Castillo in the pecking order. Right now I'm not even sure he's a good add for saves+holds leagues. Too much uncertainly surrounding everyone's roles. 

Castillo is already back -- went 1 2/3 scoreless last night but did it in the sixth and seventh. Might be easing him in off the IL, or might just be the spot Cash wanted him in, Who knows with the Rays.

5 hours ago, Biig_Pressure21 said:
Here’s EXACTLY what will happen in the second half of the MLB season.
By jameskohout@_jameskohout_  Jul 16, 2019, 8:11am EDT

Colin Poche leads the Rays in saves

This one is a matter of hoping Kevin Cash realizes who the best reliever in his bullpen is. Colin Poche has been downright filthy since getting called up, his 27:1 K:BB ratio in 17 ⅓ innings is incredible. Right now the main pitcher he has to beat out for those chances is Emilio Pagan, who has been great in his own right with a 1.69 ERA and a 50:9 K:BB ratio in 37 ⅓ innings. But Pagan has also struggled with home runs in his past and has benefited from a good amount of luck in 2019, with a .221 BABIP, 90.8% left on base rate, and a 11.4% HR/FB rate.

Poche didn't do very well Sunday and he has given up 3 Earned runs in 1.2 innings. Cross him off the list

Edited by motown magic
5 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Poche didn't do very well Sunday and he has given up 3 Earned runs in 1.2 innings. Cross him off the list

If you're list is "Guys in the Rays bullpen who could possibly get the next save opportunity" I don't think you can cross anyone off after watching yesterday's usage. Total dart throw every night at this point.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, meh2 said:

image.png.7eeede1dd544de312694bc7b3b3078ba.png

Pretty much.  Might as well ignore the situation if they trade both of them.

Kind of a shame several pitchers that emerged as pretty solid closers recently could be traded (Kennedy and Martinez were just mentioned today).

3 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

If you're list is "Guys in the Rays bullpen who could possibly get the next save opportunity" I don't think you can cross anyone off after watching yesterday's usage. Total dart throw every night at this point.

BREAKING: I am crossing Poche off the list

Lets take a look at how some of the closer committees/ we'll just use our relievers whenever did.  

Boston:  It's a mess.  Still trying to figure it out. 

Baltimore:  Disaster.  Trying to have Givens close

Royals:  Was a wreck, settled on Kennedy

Twins:  Ups and downs but have settled on Rogers

Mariners:  Disaster.  Have mostly used Elias

Rays:  Maybe the only one that's actually working.

Atlanta:  Train wreck before Jackson took the job.

Cubs:  Worked so well they signed Kimbrel

Reds:  Have to use Iglesias as a closer or he implodes and complains

Marlins:  Quickly settled on Romo

Phillie:  Settled on Neris

• Like 1