NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Russell Westbrook 2019-2020 Season Outlook

3 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I disagree. In past years. Westbrook has had:

Paul George/ Dennis schroeder

Paul George/Carmelo Anthony/ Corey Brewer

Victor Oladipo/Anthony Morrow

Dion Waiters/ Randy Foye/ Kevin Durant /DJ Augustin 

So don’t tell me he hasn’t had “multiple” shooters. He has had “MULTIPLE”!

Sigh, semantics. 22nd last year, 24th the year before, dead last the year before in 3P% (obviously in large part due to Westbrook, but still). Hell, they were 17th with Durant the year before that.

The lack of shooting in OKC has been a huge problem for years and it's been talked about ad nauseam. They had Roberson and 32% Ibaka, Roberson and Taj Gibson. PG was the only above-average shooter 2 years ago, and last year they had Schroder playing with Russ a bunch. And then you have Russ (and Steven Adams). So a lot of the time, the team had guys that could shoot, sure, but not guys that were /good shooters/. OKC had 1 guy above the league average in their top 5 in minutes pretty much every year for the last 4 years. So, anyway, his point is completely valid. Organizationally, the Rockets place more emphasis on the 3-point shot than any other franchise in the NBA.

This is basically the reason Paul George fit like a glove; Russ can't shoot, he's more off than on defensively, and PG doesn't need the ball in his hands.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I disagree. In past years. Westbrook has had:

Paul George/ Dennis schroeder

Paul George/Carmelo Anthony/ Corey Brewer

Victor Oladipo/Anthony Morrow

Dion Waiters/ Randy Foye/ Kevin Durant /DJ Augustin 

So don’t tell me he hasn’t had “multiple” shooters. He has had “MULTIPLE”!

This list only makes sense if a "shooter" is "someone who shoots the ball in a basketball game". :D

Dennis Schroder

Career: 43.0% FG%, 32.5% 3P%, 47.3% eFG%
OKC: 41.4% FG%, 34.1% 3P%, 47.0% eFG%

Carmelo Anthony

Career: 44.9% FG%, 34.7% 3P%, 48.2% eFG%
OKC: 40.4% FG%, 35.7% 3P%, 47.6% eFG%

Corey Brewer

Career: 42.5% FG%, 28.4% 3P%, 46.5% eFG%
OKC: 44.4% FG%, 34.3% 3P%, 52.4% eFG% (18 game sample size)

Victor Oladipo

Career: 44.3% FG%, 35.2% 3P%, 49.5% eFG%
OKC: 44.2% FG%, 36.1% 3P%, 49.1% eFG%

Dion Waiters

Career: 41.2% FG%, 34.7% 3P%, 46.8% eFG%
OKC: 39.6% FG%, 34.3% 3P%, 44.8% eFG%

Randy Foye

Career: 40.1% FG%, 36.6% 3P%, 48.2% eFG%
OKC: 34.9% FG%, 30.9% 3P%, 43.3% eFG% (27 game sample size)

To get an idea of how atrocious this is in terms of pure shooting - 109 out of 120 players that are displayed in basketball-reference.com for the 2018-2019 season had 49% or better effective FG%. Calling Dion Waiters a shooter is also as vomit-inducing as watching him play basketball 🤢

It took a while to compile these stats, but figured sharing real numbers would be a nice way to share the laughter with the rest of the fantasy community. :D :D :D

Edited by darkyume
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Bonus: 

Since this is Westbrook's thread - he himself has 46.5% eFG% (career) and 46.8% eFG% (2018-19), and just about any NBA player is comparatively a better shooter than him :o

He's sandwiched between Dennis Schroder (47.0% eFG%) and Andrew Wiggins (46.1%) in 2018-19.

Edited by darkyume
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, miasma16 said:

I truly don't believe that. Westbrook is a usage monster. I think they'll both get up plenty of shots. They'll take pretty expected hits in a situation like this. A positive for both is that D'Antoni has been a little better than the average coach at staggering CP3 and Harden in the past. And the negative, of course, is that this is about as extreme an example as you can get of 2 high usage stars teaming up and eating into each other's counting stats. Another downside is that with the type of usage Russ has, I don't think the addition really benefits either of them in terms of their FG%, even if the shots take a dip.

I think Westbrook has a shot at increasing his efficiency just based on the fact hes been better in the past.

Harden on the other hand I dont see him increasing his FG%. Career 44% and his lack of movement without the ball will hurt him. 

On 7/8/2019 at 4:38 PM, rando said:

Well the Rockets have a pickle with CP3 and Beard not being besties. Russ and Beard played in OKC, so why not swap those two bloated contracts? The deal would suck for OKC on paper, but if they get some more firsts maybe...?

Sam Presti, is that you?

Great call

• Like 1