NBC Sports Edge Forums

Demarcus Cousins 2019-2020 Outlook

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, would've been brutal seeing him take minutes away from Meyers Leonard.

That guy likes to think his posts are objective, but they're always negatively slanted when discussing the Lakers. Seems to be a common theme amongst non-Laker fans in this section. Not even worth the

To a degree yes. You have three of the 5 Pelicans who in the playoffs swept the Trailblazers and at least stole one from the KD-era Warriors.  You bring those 3 players, and add Lebron, Kuzma and

Posted Images

8 hours ago, wildcat62 said:

Probably the best case scenario for him and the Lakers.

This. Cousins has something left in the tank and something to prove. 

9 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

Whew, dodged a bullet. Thank goodness for the Lakers. I might had a cardiac arrest if the Heat signed him. 

Yeah, would've been brutal seeing him take minutes away from Meyers Leonard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
27 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

Isn't this a repeat of New Orleans which didn't work out? I know Lebron is in the mix this time but interested to see how it works.

To a degree yes. You have three of the 5 Pelicans who in the playoffs swept the Trailblazers and at least stole one from the KD-era Warriors. 

You bring those 3 players, and add Lebron, Kuzma and Danny Green, you should get better results. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

I think he starts over Mcgee around Dec. He could be a sneaky late round pick especially when AD or Bron needs "load management". 

What about when he needs load management?  Just joking.  He has upside and anyone with his upside is worth taking a flier on.

• Haha 1
55 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

To a degree yes. You have three of the 5 Pelicans who in the playoffs swept the Trailblazers and at least stole one from the KD-era Warriors. 

You bring those 3 players, and add Lebron, Kuzma and Danny Green, you should get better results. 

Not exactly.  You're replacing prime Jrue with a 34 year old LeBron, not adding a prime LeBron.  Green is a replacement level player at this point in his career.  Every team has replacement level wings, may as well be E'twuan Moore.  That team also had a young Buddy Hield and Reke.  That Pelicans team was good, they got ****** by injuries.  I think the Lakers have a shot and a lot of it goes down to which is the best healthy team in the playoffs.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

I think he starts over Mcgee around Dec. He could be a sneaky late round pick especially when AD or Bron needs "load management". 

I dont think you will get him in the later rounds because of his name. People will pick him in the middle rounds.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

Not exactly.  You're replacing prime Jrue with a 34 year old LeBron, not adding a prime LeBron.  Green is a replacement level player at this point in his career.  Every team has replacement level wings, may as well be E'twuan Moore.  That team also had a young Buddy Hield and Reke.  That Pelicans team was good, they got ****** by injuries.  I think the Lakers have a shot and a lot of it goes down to which is the best healthy team in the playoffs.  

Don't want to derail this thread. You're welcome to continue discussing it in the Laker thread. But Danny Green isn't a replacement-level player any way you want to spin it. He's a high-volume 46% shooter from 3 last year that has a reputation defensively for a reason. The Lakers don't need any more or less in the starting lineup than what he provides.

If that Pelicans team was good, it was because of Holiday, Cousins and Brow. They were hurting beyond those 3, and it got worse the further down you got. This Laker team is significantly better, even if Cousins doesn't get back to where he was. 

image.png.59c78c6af26264cc3da5169dee4344ea.png

• Like 2
On 7/7/2019 at 5:54 AM, rob0403 said:

Isn't this a repeat of New Orleans which didn't work out? I know Lebron is in the mix this time but interested to see how it works.

Didn't work out? Before Cousins went down, NOLA was awesome that year. They had won 7 of his last 8 games, and beaten Houston, Milwaukee, Boston, Utah and San Antonio. If the season had ended that day, they would have been the 6th seed in a stacked Western conference, and would be a tough out for both the #2 Rockets and the #3 Spurs, each of whom they had already beaten in the season.

Of course, Boogie was also in his best statistical year, and expected to get a max salary offer that offseason. The Achilles robbed him of maybe $150 million. Crazy money.

Now that guy is not coming through the door. He is not going 25/12. But he can certainly still ball, and maybe being near his old running mate will bring some of his magic back.

• Like 1
On 7/7/2019 at 9:47 AM, miasma16 said:

Don't want to derail this thread. You're welcome to continue discussing it in the Laker thread. But Danny Green isn't a replacement-level player any way you want to spin it. He's a high-volume 46% shooter from 3 last year that has a reputation defensively for a reason. The Lakers don't need any more or less in the starting lineup than what he provides.

If that Pelicans team was good, it was because of Holiday, Cousins and Brow. They were hurting beyond those 3, and it got worse the further down you got. This Laker team is significantly better, even if Cousins doesn't get back to where he was. 

image.png.59c78c6af26264cc3da5169dee4344ea.png

That guy likes to think his posts are objective, but they're always negatively slanted when discussing the Lakers. Seems to be a common theme amongst non-Laker fans in this section. Not even worth the effort to correct them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good Danny Green and New Orleans Pelicans convo, you chodes.  And my god, this weird Laker fan clique.  This is a FANTASY forum, your team here is who you draft in September or October.

Anyway, I'm thinking in H2H I still wouldn't touch Boogie before the 4th round.  He was a FG%/TO punt darling in Sacramento, but as he played with better players, the FG% punt wasn't as crucial (although still not good for a big man). I foresee that continuing to be the case.  But he's never gonna be what he was, obviously, the question is how close he can get.

His ranking last year was 35th per game: https://basketballmonster.com/playerrankings.aspx

And here's his historical rankings: http://history.basketballmonster.com/Player/Details/3153?name=DeMarcus_Cousins

Like I said, 4th round and I need a big man and I'm not needing him (for whatever reason) to be a FG% anchor, I'll strongly consider him.  Not before, though.

• Like 1

Ok, let's talk fantasy. I see him doing what he did at GSW, and maybe a bit more as the season wears on and they figure out he should start with AD, and McGee should be the backup.

His GSW line for guidance: 16/8/3.6 assists with 1.3 steals and 1.5 blks in 25.7 minutes

His projected LA Laker line: 15/7/4 assists with 1.3 steals and 1.3 blks in 27 minutes

He will get more assists lobbing to AD (as he did in NOLA). He will get about the same efficient shots while surrounded by a ring of 3p shooters and a bit more time with starters. He loses Rebs with AD. AD is not a usage monster, and LeBron will happily pass at this stage. The extra time on the floor offsets some of the counting stats he would lose to AD.

That's maybe a 6th rounder given the risk factor.

18 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Ok, let's talk fantasy. I see him doing what he did at GSW, and maybe a bit more as the season wears on and they figure out he should start with AD, and McGee should be the backup.

His GSW line for guidance: 16/8/3.6 assists with 1.3 steals and 1.5 blks in 25.7 minutes

His projected LA Laker line: 15/7/4 assists with 1.3 steals and 1.3 blks in 27 minutes

He will get more assists lobbing to AD (as he did in NOLA). He will get about the same efficient shots while surrounded by a ring of 3p shooters and a bit more time with starters. He loses Rebs with AD. AD is not a usage monster, and LeBron will happily pass at this stage. The extra time on the floor offsets some of the counting stats he would lose to AD.

That's maybe a 6th rounder given the risk factor.

If you really think he will hit 15/7/4 with 1.3/1.3 then that’s better than Al Horford who is a third rounder.  If you factor in that Cousins was never efficient and is an injury risk maybe that pushes him down to a 4th rounder.  That’s using your own numbers. 

1 minute ago, StifleTower2 said:

If you really think he will hit 15/7/4 with 1.3/1.3 then that’s better than Al Horford who is a third rounder.  If you factor in that Cousins was never efficient and is an injury risk maybe that pushes him down to a 4th rounder.  That’s using your own numbers

I said there is risk. Can't take him in the 3rd with more and safer value on the board. 

This gets into overall fantasy valuation/draft strategy. I assign a beta to every projection, and focus on drafting low beta guys in the first 4 rounds. Then go nuts. Of course, I'm the guy who took Kevin Love at like #15 overall last year, so.... ;-(

1 minute ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I said there is risk. Can't take him in the 3rd with more and safer value on the board. 

This gets into overall fantasy valuation/draft strategy. I assign a beta to every projection, and focus on drafting low beta guys in the first 4 rounds. Then go nuts. Of course, I'm the guy who took Kevin Love at like #15 overall last year, so.... ;-(

I didn’t say that you should take him in the third.  I used Horford, who is a third round player, as a comp to show that the line you posted is better than Horford’s. Then you drop him for perceived risk.  But if you’re dropping him from 3rd to 6th for perceived risk that’s a huge drop.  Your statistical projection is not consistent with taking him in the sixth. 

I think he's going to back up Javale. If Javale plays like he did last year, he's a more useful guy to have on the floor than Cousins. I think they will more or less split minutes though, but I think he's gonna get about 20 per. Javale was the best player on the floor for LA for most of last season, and he only played 22 per game. I think Demarcus has about the same usage as last year, and looks a little better than last year when he's out there. 12-6-3, with a steal and a block. He'll get a 3 per, too. And let's not forget to factor in that he's an injury concern.

In short, he won't be on any of my teams next year. We'll see how LA ends up using him, though. I think I'd much rather draft Javale wherever his ADP lands, but, as usual, I probably won't have any Lakers on my fantasy team, considering all of the depth and hype.

6 hours ago, Pyschout said:

Good Danny Green and New Orleans Pelicans convo, you chodes.  And my god, this weird Laker fan clique.  This is a FANTASY forum, your team here is who you draft in September or October.

Anyway, I'm thinking in H2H I still wouldn't touch Boogie before the 4th round.  He was a FG%/TO punt darling in Sacramento, but as he played with better players, the FG% punt wasn't as crucial (although still not good for a big man). I foresee that continuing to be the case.  But he's never gonna be what he was, obviously, the question is how close he can get.

His ranking last year was 35th per game: https://basketballmonster.com/playerrankings.aspx

And here's his historical rankings: http://history.basketballmonster.com/Player/Details/3153?name=DeMarcus_Cousins

Like I said, 4th round and I need a big man and I'm not needing him (for whatever reason) to be a FG% anchor, I'll strongly consider him.  Not before, though.

Early contender for hall monitor of the year. You should apply for a mod position.

And out of curiosity, what do YOU think should be discussed in a thread titled "Lakers 2019-20 Season Thread" Maybe the Lakers, no? 

• Haha 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Demarcus Cousins 2019-2020 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic