NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tony Pollard 2019 Outlook

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lmao this guy is trash and is gona get stuffed by the Giants defense in week one. Jerry will break out the American Express Gold card for zeke immediately after the game and say goodbye to JAG POLLARD

NyMetsfan do you really need 2 accounts posting in the Tony Pollard thread 👀

I remember the Bell owners calling James Conner a JAG last year...

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Lucius Seneca said:

What will be the split of touches between Pollard and Alfred Morris?  I can't see Pollard being used as a bell cow in his first week. 

Why not? Full time player in preseason with the starters. Clearly he has surpassed expectations and is a steal for the organization. Confident he will get 15-18 touches plus goal line. Better start than Coleman, Duke, etc those types 

3 hours ago, The G Man said:

Am I reading his career college stats correctly? Under 150 rushing attempts? 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tony-pollard-1.html

He was playing behind Darrel Henderson but yes, he didn’t carried the rock a lot in college.

Edited by Under500Forever
4 minutes ago, Lucius Seneca said:

What will be the split of touches between Pollard and Alfred Morris?  I can't see Pollard being used as a bell cow in his first week. 

Alf sucks. He makes Frank gore look ten years younger.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, OrangeAggie said:

Let's assume for a second that Zeke doesn't sign...how certain are we that Pollard is going to carry the load in Dallas? I can't say I'm too concerned about Alfred Morris, but I do wonder if they might scoop someone off waivers to split touches with Pollard. 

Morris is the insurance against not having Zeke on the field, I doubt they're paying anybody more than they paid Morris.

The Cowboys moved Jordan Chunn to the 53 today. Not sure what you're confused about, @bhawks489, or if you're simply upset about something else, but Dallas isn't bringing paying a veteran to compete for starting snaps. Why would they? There's no reason to believe they're not going to come to terms with Elliott at some point in the near future.

The contingency plan calls for Pollard to assume Elliott’s lead-dog role — a plan they’re perfectly content executing.

“Yeah, I mean, we’ve been preparing for that,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones recently said of Elliott’s holdout stretching into the regular season, per Pro Football Talk. “That’s why we brought Alfred in. As we’ve said, we’ve been so pleasantly surprised, Pollard has been even better than we expected. We’re very comfortable with what we have there.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oban14 said:

I can't see Pollard being used as a bell cow in his first week. 

What better way to show Zeke he isn't as valuable as he thinks he is than to have a rookie take his spot and produce....which he will.

Every NFL RB can run through holes created by a great o-line. 

Zeke better hope this dude can't pass pro for sheeot.

Edited by this guy right here
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Lucius Seneca said:

At this point, to protect your investment, pick up Morris as well. He should be absolutely free. If this Zeke situation does not get resolved by week 1, I doubt that it will by week 2 which means if somehow Morris gets more carries than Pollard, you'll have Morris to lean on. 

If Pollard gets more carries or Zeke signs, than just drop Alf. No harm, no foul.  I would be worried about Pollard in his first pro game in a heated division battle. A miss block in pass pro or a fumble or just the coaching staff having more confidence in the veteran Alf makes a lot of sense.

All of this matters, because they Cowboys have a great line and can turn a mediocre back into someone viable in fantasy.

Edited by nonstopfan
2 minutes ago, Sean Tambo said:

I know it was only preseason, and such a small sample size, but Pollard looks to be the real deal..

To an extent, he runs through the line like Bell, catches like DJ.....

Yep, Zeke who?

Damn hook me up with some of that good stuff too! 

2 minutes ago, Sean Tambo said:

I know it was only preseason, and such a small sample size, but Pollard looks to be the real deal..

To an extent, he runs through the line like Bell, catches like DJ.....

Yep, Zeke who?

I watched a 20 yard run he had in preseason and Bell is the first thing that came to my mind. Pollard was patient and kept his feet moving behind his OLine until a hole opened up and he ran for a nice gain. 

At times pollard was used as a WR in college so I’d imagine he is capable of catching passes. 

I have a feeling Pollard will do well while filling in for Zeke.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

What better way to show Zeke he isn't as valuable as he thinks he is than to have a rookie take his spot and produce....which he will.

Every NFL RB can run through holes created by a great o-line. 

That's exactly what the Cowboys thought when Emmitt Smith held out.  They thought their O-Line was so great, anyone could be successful behind it.  Turns out not anyone could run behind the Cowboys O-Line and the Cowboys started 0-2 and Jerry Jones capitulated.  Also, the Cowboys offensive line has actually been average the last 2 seasons, it was dominant from 2013-2016, but hasn't been that great the last 2 seasons.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, simanium said:

That's exactly what the Cowboys thought when Emmitt Smith held out.  They thought their O-Line was so great, anyone could be successful behind it.  Turns out not anyone could run behind the Cowboys O-Line and the Cowboys started 0-2 and Jerry Jones capitulated.  Also, the Cowboys offensive line has actually been average the last 2 seasons, it was dominant from 2013-2016, but hasn't been that great the last 2 seasons.

So, in the RB era?

Zeke won't get his money, he's not worth it (neither is Dak or Cooper).

13 minutes ago, simanium said:

There's a good chance Pollard is better than Derrick "75 NFL carries" Lassic

13 minutes ago, simanium said:

Average? Lol. They're not what they once before, but they're clearly an above-average to elite line still. The lynchpin of their line, Frederick, missed all of last season without any time for the team to prepare, and is expected to be 100% Week 1. And what did they lose in the offseason? 1 lineman, who I don't even think was a starter?

15 minutes ago, simanium said:

This is the game of chicken that apparently JJ and Zeke are each willing to play. Cowboys start with three very easy games. If they go 0-2 and cant run, Zeke wins. 3-0 with a strong running game? Zeke loses his leverage unless Pollard gets hurt.

4 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

Giants are gonna steal a win in jerr-uhworld.

This will drive Jerruh crazy.....easy way for Zeke to get a new deal lol

Getting very close imo to start seriously talking about Pollard’s week 1 projected RB rank.

If Zeke is out, I probably put him right around RB15. I would start him over Michel and DMont on my team. Arguably top 10 but that becomes a much more bold move to start him over one of your high end RB2’s.

The Cowboys will give him workhorse run if Zeke isn’t signed. Not only have they used him that way in preseason and have shown they believe he can handle that role, but they will be looking to put max pressure on Zeke. Only concern imo is poor blocking or fumble early could cause them to sit him for Morris, but I just don’t think it’s likely that Morris gets many touches in a game where they’re going to want to showcase Pollard.

Conner’s week 1 performance last year is not out of the question. Season-long is a different story, but right now this is a weekly rental and I think Pollard has to be looked at in the mid-high RB2 range for week 1 unless a deal gets done real soon here which is looking increasingly unlikely. 

Edited by gufomel
2 minutes ago, gufomel said:

Getting very close imo to start seriously talking about Pollard’s week 1 projected RB rank.

If Zeke is out, I probably put him right around RB15. I would start him over Michel and DMont. Arguably top 10 but that becomes a much more bold move to start him over one of your high end RB2’s.

The Cowboys will give him workhorse run if Zeke isn’t signed. Not only have they used him that way in preseason and have shown they believe he can handle that role, but they will be looking to put max pressure on Zeke.

Conner’s week 1 performance last year is not out of the question. Season-long is a different story, but right now this is a weekly rental and I think Pollard has to be looked at in the mid-high RB2 range for week 1 unless a deal gets done real soon here which is looking increasingly unlikely. 

Problem is you have to make a decision on DMont Thursday night.  And if Zeke happens to sign before Sunday, you could be screwed.