Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Austin Ekeler 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Sample size means everything. It is much easier to attain that 4.0 ypc on fewer than 200 career carries than it is over years of lead back duties. Someone earlier posted that Ekeler is more than capable of handling bellcow duties after four games of watching him play this season. I didn't know what his stats looked like because, like everyone else, you only pay attention to the fantasy relevant aspects of his production. Can a player of his stature endure the hits that come along with 250 plus carries? Im thinking beyond this season because I dont believe he is a threat to MGIII at all this season. But for those in keeper/dynasty leagues, the question has to be do you have something special? Or will he always be a Darren Sproles like player? The Chargers once had another player like Ekeler in Ronnie Harmon and he never got the chance to be a featured back. He was special with the ball in his hands (San Diego native here but not a Chargers fan). If we move past the back and forth of THIS year and look toward the future, is he someone you would count on for a full time role or will LA (assuming Melvin moves on next season) always pair him with a goal line back capable of picking up the tough yards?  

Considering MGIII had 10 rushing attempts in 2018 inside the 10 compared to Ekeler's 6, I'm not sure if you're seeing what you think you're seeing.  At least not recently.  They throw down there.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

all the non owners watching this thread rn:  

"Don't cry because it's over.  Smile because it happened."  -Dr. Seuss Thanks for the amazing run, Austin.

Makes me feel old when you have to explain who Brian Westbrook was....

Posted Images

The ekeler bashing in here and other threads is unreal. Majority of the regulars in this thread are insecure Gordon owners. I predict Gordon will break the league rushing record, get the triple crown and then Ekeler will retire and decide to flip burgers for a living. Is everybody happy now? 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Considering MGIII had 10 rushing attempts in 2018 inside the 10 compared to Ekeler's 6, I'm not sure if you're seeing what you think you're seeing.  At least not recently.  They throw down there.

 

Remover Gordon from the equation. I'm over that. I want to know, is Ekeler stand alone ready? Do you believe he is a back that is capable of holding down his own backfield from weeks 1-17? From a stature standpoint.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

With the Chargers WR injuries Ekeler might be a WR1/2 as an RB.

 

Looks like logical deduction to me.  Ekeler is too good of a weapon to not be utilized to his fullest capacity with all of their injuries piling up.

 

Everyone take a chill pill.  Ekeler will be just fine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Remover Gordon from the equation. I'm over that. I want to know, is Ekeler stand alone ready? Do you believe he is a back that is capable of holding down his own backfield from weeks 1-17? From a stature standpoint.  

 

I have no idea.  He's bigger than Warrick Dunn and he's strong as hell.  He's only missed two games due to injury in spite of being heavily involved for a season and a half and a feature back for 6 games.  As for crystal balling, not really my forte.  I could see someone giving him the rock and a big deal if LA doesn't see him that way potentially, why not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

 

I have no idea.  He's bigger than Warrick Dunn and he's strong as hell.  He's only missed two games due to injury in spite of being heavily involved for a season and a half and a feature back for 6 games.  As for crystal balling, not really my forte.  I could see someone giving him the rock and a big deal if LA doesn't see him that way potentially, why not?

For some reason I thought of jerrick McKinnon when I read this.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Sample size means everything. It is much easier to attain that 4.0 ypc on fewer than 200 career carries than it is over years of lead back duties. Someone earlier posted that Ekeler is more than capable of handling bellcow duties after four games of watching him play this season. I didn't know what his stats looked like because, like everyone else, you only pay attention to the fantasy relevant aspects of his production. Can a player of his stature endure the hits that come along with 250 plus carries? Im thinking beyond this season because I dont believe he is a threat to MGIII at all this season. But for those in keeper/dynasty leagues, the question has to be do you have something special? Or will he always be a Darren Sproles like player? The Chargers once had another player like Ekeler in Ronnie Harmon and he never got the chance to be a featured back. He was special with the ball in his hands (San Diego native here but not a Chargers fan). If we move past the back and forth of THIS year and look toward the future, is he someone you would count on for a full time role or will LA (assuming Melvin moves on next season) always pair him with a goal line back capable of picking up the tough yards? It's probably time to move past Melvin vs. Ekeler and make this about Ekeler and his future potential. 

 

Its not like we are talking about one or two games here, its been a 4 game sample size, thats 1/4 of a season, that's plenty. Ekeler is a top 3 RB right now who is averaging 122 yards from scrimmage a game with 490 total yards and 6 TDs thru 4 games. Hes on pace for 1,960 yards from scrimmage and 24 TDs. Gordon has only played a full 16 game season once in his career. He had 1,581 yards from scrimmage with 12 TDs which is an average of 99 scrimmage yards per game. Ekeler is on pace to shatter Gordon's best year. Its a shame we won't get to see if he would or not but given Gordon's injury history and how bad he looked those last two games off his MCL sprain, he may not even make it thru the rest of this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

 

I have no idea.  He's bigger than Warrick Dunn and he's strong as hell.  He's only missed two games due to injury in spite of being heavily involved for a season and a half and a feature back for 6 games.  As for crystal balling, not really my forte.  I could see someone giving him the rock and a big deal if LA doesn't see him that way potentially, why not?

It might be to the Ekeler owner's advantage to hold and see how this plays out. In LA, he holds IMMENSE value. Sure, the team sits at 2-2 and I believe there was a goal line fumble mixed in there somewhere, but Ekeler at least established confidence that life can exist without MGIII. IF, LA does not sign or tag MGIII at the end of the year, the question now becomes, do they have complete faith in the two backs they have and how much of the lead back duties do they afford Ekeler? He has been lights out when he has received his opportunities (especially for fantasy teams). However, it concerns me that despite his 4 week showing, they were quick to turn (public announcement) the reigns back to MGIII. If you took the time to watch the video, there were some telling remarks made by Lynn. I gather that while he was pleased with the production provided by Ekeler, they still felt as though MGIII brought something extra to the table. Regardless of who owns who this season or not, smart fantasy owners are always diagnosing and asking the tough questions. I know its not popular to ask these questions in a player's thread because typically these are simply player lovefests. However, next season may present an opportunity for ownership. If Ekeler is the real deal and capable of a full role, I'm all for it. Let the chips fall where they may. Back and forthing won't change that one bit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

 

Its not like we are talking about one or two games here, its been a 4 game sample size, thats 1/4 of a season, that's plenty. Ekeler is a top 3 RB right now who is averaging 122 yards from scrimmage a game with 490 total yards and 6 TDs thru 4 games. Hes on pace for 1,960 yards from scrimmage and 24 TDs. Gordon has only played a full 16 game season once in his career. He had 1,581 yards from scrimmage with 12 TDs which is an average of 99 scrimmage yards per game. Ekeler is on pace to shatter Gordon's best year. Its a shame we won't get to see if he would or not but given Gordon's injury history and how bad he looked those last two games off his MCL sprain, he may not even make it thru the rest of this year. 

Maybe this is why they didn't commit to 10M+. Who knows? One thing is certain. We will find out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Remover Gordon from the equation. I'm over that. I want to know, is Ekeler stand alone ready? Do you believe he is a back that is capable of holding down his own backfield from weeks 1-17? From a stature standpoint.  

 

Hes averaging 122 scrimmage yards a game and has 6 TDs thru 6 games. On pace for 1,960 scrimmage yards and 24 TDs. Thats more than Gordon has ever done, even in his best season. If you are referring to his size. Hes an inch shorter and 5 pounds lighter than CMC. How has CMC held up with all his usage? Pretty good id say...todays NFL is different than it was even 5 years ago. No way a back the size of CMC or Ekeler could make it thru an entire season as a featured RB back in the day. Just like there was no way a QB the size of Wilson or Murray would ever see the field back in the day. Times have changed. 

By the way, Gordon isn't that much bigger than Ekeler. Hes 6 foot and 207. Not like we are talking about 225lb Zeke here. 

Edited by Dexter75
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

 

Hes averaging 122 scrimmage yards a game and has 6 TDs thru 6 games. On pace for 1,960 scrimmage yards and 24 TDs. Thats more than Gordon has ever done, even in his best season. If you are referring to his size. Hes an inch shorter and 5 pounds lighter than CMC. How has CMC held up with all his usage? Pretty good id say...todays NFL is different than it was even 5 years ago. No way a back the size of CMC or Ekeler could make it thru an entire season as a featured RB back in the day. Times have changed. 

I'm not leaning one way or the other. You raise a valid point. I will say though, that CMac's build is not normal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

I'm not leaning one way or the other. You raise a valid point. I will say though, that CMac's build is not normal. 

 

Yea, its really all about the player, not their size. Look at Hunter Henry, he is 6'6 250lbs and cant stay on the field for more than a game. Jordan Reed too, dude is 6'2 245lbs and he's hurt every other game and out for weeks and these guys dont take nearly as many hits as a RB. 

Edited by Dexter75
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dexter75 said:

 

Yea, its really all about the player, not their size. Look at Hunter Henry, he is 6'6 250lbs and cant stay on the field for more than a game. Jordan Reed too, dude is 6'2 245lbs and he's hurt every other game and out for weeks. 

Agreed.

I believe it's a combination of genetics and luck when it comes to injuries.

Obviously you're not going to see too many guys who are 5'5 140 lbs carrying the football, but if a guy can play I tend to think size is an overrated factor when it comes to prognosticating health.  If anything, MGIII has shown himself to be a much bigger health risk than Ekeler though he may look more the part.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ekeler will still have a good role in this offense. Once Gordon gets up to speed I bet it's something along the lines of a 55/45 Gordon/Ekeler split. Ekeler should go for about 7 carries for 30 yards with 5 catches for 60 yards & maybe a TD this weekend. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dexter75 said:

 

Hes averaging 122 scrimmage yards a game and has 6 TDs thru 6 games. On pace for 1,960 scrimmage yards and 24 TDs. Thats more than Gordon has ever done, even in his best season. If you are referring to his size. Hes an inch shorter and 5 pounds lighter than CMC. How has CMC held up with all his usage? Pretty good id say...todays NFL is different than it was even 5 years ago. No way a back the size of CMC or Ekeler could make it thru an entire season as a featured RB back in the day. Just like there was no way a QB the size of Wilson or Murray would ever see the field back in the day. Times have changed. 

By the way, Gordon isn't that much bigger than Ekeler. Hes 6 foot and 207. Not like we are talking about 225lb Zeke here. 

 

You can not compare Cmac and Ekeler on just size. Cmac is a gym psycho and smashes it right into the tackles. Ekeler almost always runs it outside. They just aren’t the same.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TennisDude said:

 

Ya dude exaggerating like a mofo. Wtf??

 

Actually he's not , he's quite right. 

17 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

McCaffrey is a complete and utter anomaly, and he's also (by his own estimate) at closer to 209-210 lbs. That's a massive difference. Gordon is also not 207, he's 215.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

 

Actually he's not , he's quite right. 

 

 

Right about what? That Cmac and Ekeler are the same physically lmfao. Ekeler wasn’t even drafted, benched 225 once (CMac 10 times), and is at least 10-15 pounds of muscle smaller than CMac. The only thing they had the same is their 40 time 4.48. Some of you Ekeler owners are losing your minds and I own Ekeler. Haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

 

Right about what? That Cmac and Ekeler are the same physically lmfao. Ekeler wasn’t even drafted, benched 225 once (CMac 10 times), and is at least 10-15 pounds of muscle smaller than CMac. The only thing they had the same is their 40 time 4.48. Some of you Ekeler owners are losing your minds and I own Ekeler. Haha

Pretty sure that RunCMC's (very strangely formatted, lol) comment is in agreement with mine, fwiw.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrPositive said:

 

Right about what? That Cmac and Ekeler are the same physically lmfao. Ekeler wasn’t even drafted, benched 225 once (CMac 10 times), and is at least 10-15 pounds of muscle smaller than CMac. The only thing they had the same is their 40 time 4.48. Some of you Ekeler owners are losing your minds and I own Ekeler. Haha


My response was in agreement to miasma16 . That CMC is a whole entire beast in his own right. And shouldn’t be compared to Ekeler . Kid’s looking like a future HOFer , while Austin is a better version of Danny woodhead, if you even want to call him that . Solid running back and in fantasy even more so. I see him as a RB3/flex play with Gordon back in town. I’m sure there will be an occasional blow up game, where he catches one and takes it to the house. Sorta like last year, when they both played together. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...