NBC Sports EDGE Forums

T.J. Hockenson 2019 Outlook

smeeze

Just now, lolcopter said:

Historically speaking, it's a massive long shot

Right, but unless you're drafting one of the big 3 or next 3, you can basically take any of these guys very, very late.  Hockenson and Fant's floors are the same as all these dumpster TEs.  4 for 40, a TD every third or fourth week.  But unlike most on here, their sky is the limit.  You're getting the longshot of Antonio Gates rookie season with no more risk than any of these other scrubs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

I'm not saying that to say that Hock is gonna be a fantasy stud TE, that's still questionable, but I'm just saying that Ebron to Hock is not an intelligent comp.

Eh it was more of a situational comparison rather than player v player, Ebron dropped more than his fair share of easy catches. I'm just really down on the whole Lions team I guess, and as someone who is dreadfully thin at TE, Hock just really doesn't interest me at all

Edited by lolcopter

3 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I always roster two TEs in my deeper formats, and love the idea of taking a shot on this kid and/or Fant...both have easy top 10 upside--immediately imo.

The other thing to remember is if one or both of them suck, who cares?  The WW is littered with TEs who could easily finish top 10 if things go right.  In a lot of leagues you can get these guys in the last 2-3 rounds while you load up on RB/WR earlier.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oban14 said:

The other thing to remember is if one or both of them suck, who cares?  The WW is littered with TEs who could easily finish top 10 if things go right.  In a lot of leagues you can get these guys in the last 2-3 rounds while you load up on RB/WR earlier.

Exactly, these guys are coming at bargain prices (outside of dyna leagues)...

13 minutes ago, oban14 said:

who cares?

This is my TE strategy after only drafting then promptly dropping Jordan Reed (/CSB)

Other wire targets I like over Hockenson:

Waller - guy is an absolute beast from a physical standpoint, figures to be the TE1 in an offense that uses it a lot, has specific goal line plays drawn up just for him if Hard Knocks is to be believed

Goedert - Hock will be lucky to top this Guy's rookie line and that's from a timeshare with Ertz! (*edit: okay yardage wasn't that great and should be beatable) Basically the only TE cuff worthwhile in the entire league

Herndon - really turned it on last season scoring at a TE9 overall clip from week 6 on. Price is basically free because of the suspension, and he's got a young QB in his back pocket on an offense fairly depleted of outside weapons 

Edited by lolcopter
  • Like 1

Do you like Waller or him for your sleeper TE then?

46 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

This is my TE strategy after only drafting then promptly dropping Jordan Reed (/CSB)

Waller - guy is an absolute beast from a physical standpoint, figures to be the TE1 in an offense that uses it a lot, has specific goal line plays drawn up just for him if Hard Knocks is to be believed

Goedert - Hock will be lucky to top this Guy's rookie line and that's from a timeshare with Ertz! (*edit: okay yardage wasn't that great and should be beatable) Basically the only TE cuff worthwhile in the entire league

Herndon - really turned it on last season scoring at a TE9 overall clip from week 6 on. Price is basically free because of the suspension, and he's got a young QB in his back pocket on an offense fairly depleted of outside weapons 

7 minutes ago, TheBigBambino said:

Do you like Waller or him for your sleeper TE then?

Him who? Hockenson?

I think both of those Iowa TEs (Hock/Fant) will make fine NFL players, I just don't think they'll be fantasy relevant this season. Not a knock on player talent at all but rather the uphill battle the overwhelming majority of rookie TEs face 

• Like 1

Just now, lolcopter said:

Him who? Hockenson?

I think both of those Iowa TEs (Hock/Fant) will make fine NFL players, I just don't think they'll be fantasy relevant this season. Not a knock on player talent at all but rather the uphill battle the overwhelming majority of rookie TEs face 

Yes, Hockenson

58 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

all 3 of those are pretty solid. I grabbed Goedert as I have Kelce and figure if Ertz goes down I'll have a great trade piece. 

• Like 1

Stafford blows and this guy is the perfect fit for a sucky coward like Stafford. The stupid passes that went to Riddick could now go to Hockenson as legitimate plays. The team will still fail miserably in the redzone and kick FGs because they really hate scoring points. Should have one of the better rookie TE seasons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, oban14 said:

Right, but unless you're drafting one of the big 3 or next 3, you can basically take any of these guys very, very late.  Hockenson and Fant's floors are the same as all these dumpster TEs.  4 for 40, a TD every third or fourth week.  But unlike most on here, their sky is the limit.  You're getting the longshot of Antonio Gates rookie season with no more risk than any of these other scrubs.

This. After the big 3 at TE, everyone’s questionable. We want Engram to breakout. We hope that Howard will move into that top tier. We wish that a healthy Henry can put it all together. The reality is that it’s all a crapshoot. Even more so after those 6 are off the board. Hockenson’s floor is just as high as anyone going after the big 3. Just go with your gut and sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

This was taken from the Bleach Report article about the most pro-ready players coming out of the draft..

"The 6'5", 250-pound Hockenson isn't just a blocker who has to develop receiving skills. He isn't a pass-catcher who has to learn to handle in-line NFL defenders, either. He is a complete tight end who can help boost a team's passing and running games from day one."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2820929-the-most-pro-ready-prospects-in-the-2019-nfl-draft#slide5

• Like 2

As a Lions fan, I'm going to assume that Hockenson will spend the majority of his season wondering why Stafford is sidearming passes, whistling balls 12 feet over the heads of WRs, and just being an all-around horrendous decision-maker.

That said, Hockenson has all of the ability to be a rock solid TE. Just needs somebody to get him the ball.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:34 AM, lolcopter said:

Him who? Hockenson?

This is the way I'm looking at them.  They are in the streamer/dollar days conversation and if one of them has a big week take notice.  But I'm not expecting either to be a top 12 TE for the season.  They're running into the historical winds on that point.

Good assets both in dynasty.

Stafford is a QB capable of 300 yards/game passing yardage, as we've seen in his career WHEN he had weapons (Calvin Johnson).  He hasn't had weapons these last few seasons.  Golladay + Marvin Jones are below average receivers on a team, and he hasn't had a quality TE in a long time, maybe ever.  If he can develop a chemistry with Hockenson, I could see Hockenson blowing up by being the Lions' #1 receiving target.  In preseason game 3, the timing between Hockenson and Stafford was really good -- which was encouraging for the chemistry point.  With Hockenson's blocking ability, he'll be on the field almost every down.  Lion's head coach Matt Patricia knows what a great TE can do for a team, given his years in New England.  The opportunity is really big for Hockenson. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lucius Seneca said:

Stafford is a QB capable of 300 yards/game passing yardage, as we've seen in his career WHEN he had weapons (Calvin Johnson).  He hasn't had weapons these last few seasons.  Golladay + Marvin Jones are below average receivers on a team, and he hasn't had a quality TE in a long time, maybe ever.  If he can develop a chemistry with Hockenson, I could see Hockenson blowing up by being the Lions' #1 receiving target.  In preseason game 3, the timing between Hockenson and Stafford was really good -- which was encouraging for the chemistry point.  With Hockenson's blocking ability, he'll be on the field almost every down.  Lion's head coach Matt Patricia knows what a great TE can do for a team, given his years in New England.  The opportunity is really big for Hockenson. 

Everything you said was right except Goliday is an above average WR. Dude is a top 10 wr. Maybe you never watched him or you watched a game where he only got a single target.. half his catches had a very low catch probability. I think the offense will be good in Detroit this year and Hockerson should have plenty of opportunity to make plays. I drafted him as a backup in both leagues I’m in and anticipate an above average rookie season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krambone said:

Everything you said was right except Goliday is an above average WR. Dude is a top 10 wr. Maybe you never watched him or you watched a game where he only got a single target.. half his catches had a very low catch probability. I think the offense will be good in Detroit this year and Hockerson should have plenty of opportunity to make plays. I drafted him as a backup in both leagues I’m in and anticipate an above average rookie season.

Yeah as someone with Kerryon and Hock I’m worried about Detroit’s success as a team. If they come out 1-5 or something (I don’t think they will), there’s a scenario that they dial back their young guys’ snaps. But if they’re in the hunt early, guys like Golladay/Hock/Kerryon should be feasting in fantasy.

8 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

Yeah as someone with Kerryon and Hock I’m worried about Detroit’s success as a team. If they come out 1-5 or something (I don’t think they will), there’s a scenario that they dial back their young guys’ snaps. But if they’re in the hunt early, guys like Golladay/Hock/Kerryon should be feasting in fantasy.

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand the reasoning to dial back the young guys snaps if they were to start off 1-5 or 2-4 or whatever. I would hope as an organization you would want to develop your young talent in order to succeed down the road. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand the reasoning to dial back the young guys snaps if they were to start off 1-5 or 2-4 or whatever. I would hope as an organization you would want to develop your young talent in order to succeed down the road. 

I mean, that’s what they did with Kerryon last year. All accounts are that he was basically fully healthy toward the end of the season and Detroit just held him out because there was nothing to play for.